Humax PVR 9200 Remote Control Signal Conflict

Hermoder

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else got a PVR9200 and a Yamaha AV amp combination?
I have a Yamaha RX-V2600. In February I purchased a PVR9200. On connecting them up I immediately noticed that whenever I used the Yamaha remote to increase/decrease the volume of the amplifier, the channel of the PVR9200 changed. Not just one channel but a number of channels. I tried a variety of combinations but the result was always the same with the amplifier remote changing the channel of the PVR. Yet the PVR remote does not effect the amplifier.
I contacted Humax (they took three weeks to reply to my emails and telephone calls). In November(!!) they sent me a replacement remote containing new software. It made no difference. On relaying this to Humax their response was "there's is nothing else we can do to help".
If anyone else has had this problem could they post it for all of us to see if this is a common problem or is it just related to my Yamaha.
Regards
Mike

I have the same problem, but with different equipment. I have the Humax, and a Toshiba rear projection TV. When I press the volume up or down, or the screen size button it changes the channel on the Humax. The volume seems to move the channel up or down, and the screen size one seems to pick channels at random.

If there are two makes that are going to come up with this sort of effect over the last year, then its going to be Toshiba and Yamaha. There seems to be something like around a 3 second window where you cant use both remotes in that time or you get the effect described. I guess if you can remember not to use both within that time it could avoid the problem with the confict, but you will have to try it out for yourselves to know if it works and how long the window is. son_t on digital spy has the same problem and said: "use the OK or LIST button and change channels using this menu (volume changes then does not change the channel!)." Hope this info is at least of some help

Sorry to ask, but do all Humax/Toshiba owners have this problem?
I had a similar issue with a DVD player and VCR and know how irritating it is.

My toshiba LCD remote sometimes changes the channels on my humax 9200t when i adjust the volume on my TV.... it doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be annoying!! :confused:

I've got the same problems with my Hitachi TV too. I thought I was imagining things but this thread highlights the same problem when I use my volume on my TV remote straight after I use the Humax remote.

What I have found interesting from the replies to this forum and those at Digitalspy (thanks for the link son_t) is the number of 9200 users who are suffering from the signal conflict between the PVR and some other piece of equipment in their AV setup. I have always been led to believe by Humax that mine was an isolated problem. I also received an email from their technical support department asking me to keep quiet about it!!
"Hi Michael,
There have been further developments on this as there is now a Finnish
version of the PVR-9200T on the market. I will be testing this software
and the Remote frequency over the next few weeks (Have not been sent the
remotes yet).
I can also send you a copy of the new software and a remote for testing.
I would appreciate if you do not state anything regarding this to other
customers.
Thanks
Michael Haughey.

Yes the 9200 is a very good piece of equipment. Unfortunately it has some very irritating niggles and is let down by very poor customer support.
Mike

What I have found interesting from the replies to this forum and those at Digitalspy (thanks for the link son_t) is the number of 9200 users who are suffering from the signal conflict between the PVR and some other piece of equipment in their AV setup. I have always been led to believe by Humax that mine was an isolated problem. I also received an email from their technical support department asking me to keep quiet about it!!
"Hi Michael,
There have been further developments on this as there is now a Finnish
version of the PVR-9200T on the market. I will be testing this software
and the Remote frequency over the next few weeks (Have not been sent the
remotes yet).
I can also send you a copy of the new software and a remote for testing.
I would appreciate if you do not state anything regarding this to other
customers.
Thanks
Michael Haughey.

Yes the 9200 is a very good piece of equipment. Unfortunately it has some very irritating niggles and is let down by very poor customer support.
Mike

The funny thing is I was also asked to keep quiet about getting the Finnish remote and software. Presumably so that they dont get hundreds of people phoning Humax for the software which contains so many features UK users have been asking for. I put a hacked version of this software on a website and was asked if I didnt mind taking it off by Humax - some customer had tried to update their machine using the wrong procedure for that software and it required Humax to repair it back at base for them! Fortunately Humax have kept on supporting the machine all of those features and more have been added as per customer feedback to software over time.

I think you have combined both things and come to the wrong conclusion :eek: :) The reason is because I forwaded this remote conflict thing to Humax late spring, because not a lot of people had mentioned it but wanted to give it some visability. They came back to me and told me to tel the forum its now on their radar and they will be checking to see if there is anything they can do about it and what the options are. And thats what I did.

I've just bought a Jamo DVD surround sound system (S502HCS51) and am having a similar problem - when I use the Humax 9200T remote to change channels (or change the location during playback), this also causes the Jamo volume setting to change, which is extremely annoying and makes the audio system virtually unusable.

Is there any fix for this issue yet?

Thanks,

John.

There isn't a fix for the remote clash and there won't be one.

Avoid changing channels via the channel buttons. Use the OK button to get a list of channels and select the channel you want on the list. You can also use the guide to change channels in a similar fashion.

If you do it this way you will get used to it after a while... the advantage is that you get to find out what is on, on the other channels! :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't work: if I use the OK button (or the guide) to get the channel list, then pressing the Up/Down arrows also causes the volume setting on the Jamo to change. The problem also occurs when I press the "play" button on the Humax and then press the Left/Right arrows to move back/forward through a program. This all makes the surround sound system virtually unusable.

If there's not going to be any fix, I'll probably sell the Jamo on ebay (can't return it -- to play.com -- as we've unfortunately thrown all the packaging), which is a shame because the surround sound quality is very good.

Are there any reasonable surround sound systems (around 200-300 pounds) that are known to not have this problem with the Humax? Our Sony TV (Bravia 3000D) doesn't seem to conflict so perhaps a Sony surround sound system would work?

Thanks,

John.

Reading the other thread, no mention of Sony (or Denon or Pioneer) causing problems...

Interestingly I've discovered that pressing the Mute button twice on the Jamo seems to "reset" things such that the Humax remote no longer changes the Jamo volume setting.

This works fine until I again press the volume button on the Jamo, at which point the Humax controller (most buttons) again starts changing the Jamo volume. Since the TV is relaying the signal from the Humax (Scart1) to the Jamo (Scart2) I can use the mute trick and thereafter adjust the volume using the Humax controller, avoiding the Jamo controller completely (except when watching DVDs -- when I won't be using the Humax anyway).

Hopefully this will be a workable solution - time will tell...

John.

Does anyone use the extra buttons which are under the slider at the bottom of the remote

One of the main problems with the remote for me is that three of the most used buttons are under the slider.

Recorded Program List
Forward Skip
Reverse Skip

I removed the slider completely after about an hour.

Yes, with a Yamaha A2. Just try to point its control away from the Humax - sometimes it works.

Hi,

Just convinced my parents to buy a Humax PVR 9200, but upon setting it up for them, I'm getting conflicts between the Humax remote and the Toshiba TV. Just found this thread.

It seems to be slightly different to the problems reported above in that certain buttons on the humax remote cause the TV to switch channels. E.g. pressing the volume up or EPG button on the humax remote causes the TV to switch from the scart input back to analogue TV. The volume button is not too important, as you'd normally use the TV remote to adjust the TV volume, but now and again, when you bring up the EPG, it switches the TV over! I haven't yet noticed the TV remote affecting the Humax but it's early days.

To say this is annoying is an understatement! Don't suppose anyone's found a way around this? I'd guess not, as you can't change the 'frequency' of the Humax remote.

I don't see how it can be used like this, so I hope they can get their money back from Argos without any trouble. I find it strange that this can happen with such a popular brand? I thought the different manufacturers would have strict rules on which frequencies they could use to avoid conflicts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom