Humax pvr-8000t

Denwyn

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Humax 800t pvr,just a couple of questions regarding this machine. How easy is it to transfer a recording from the hard drive to a dvd recorder,would i be able to use my sony freeview box alongside the humax so i could watch one channel and record another with the Humax, i am a bit loathe to buy a box with two tuners while i have the excellent sony, and i cannot see me wanting to record two channels at any one time.

Its a great box, the only complaint I have is that you cannot watch a recorded programme while it records a new one. We basically have to check the schedule to see if we have enough time to watch our recordings but to be honest it only gets in the way 5% of the time.

I would still think about the dual tuner version as it has a larger hard drive, can watch previous recordings while it records etc.. You will surprise yourself how quickly the 40GB drive fills up the dual tuner Humax has a 160GB.

Don't know about permanent recordings via dvd recorder, but I am not interested as I buy films on DVD and the stuff on the PVR just gets deleted as soon as you watch it. I don't really use it for keeping stuff, just lets me watch TV at the time I choose rather than when the broadcaster chooses, but you knew that already didn't you ;)

Cya

Rooster-x :smashin:

Denwyn said:
I am considering buying a Humax 800t pvr,just a couple of questions regarding this machine. How easy is it to transfer a recording from the hard drive to a dvd recorder,would i be able to use my sony freeview box alongside the humax so i could watch one channel and record another with the Humax, i am a bit loathe to buy a box with two tuners while i have the excellent sony, and i cannot see me wanting to record two channels at any one time.

I just bought a Humax 8000T myself - which i also use along side a Sony D800 Freeview box. Great combination - as you can loop the Sony through the Humax using its 2nd (VCR) scart connection. This also maintains the RGB signal quality and allows you to watch one channel on the Sony whilst recording another on the Humax. :thumbsup:

The 8000T has had nearly all its bugs removed by Humax too - and is very good value (£120 from empiredirect). The EPG and GUI are both easy to use and well designed - and its almost silent in operation (unlike most of these type machines). The only over-sight they made was not allowing playback of a recording whilst recording something at the same time - as mentioned in the above post. It does have 'chase play' though - which is very handy !!

All in all a good, solid little PVR. :)

(Its comes with an 80 gig drive though - not 40 - and can easily be upgraded to a much larger drive if needed).

See my other strand here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311786

Thanks for the reply, you have more or less sold it to me,just one question is it possible to transfer any recordings from the Humax to a dvd recorder,as i may want to keep some stuff i record from freeview.

Denwyn said:
Thanks for the reply, you have more or less sold it to me,just one question is it possible to transfer any recordings from the Humax to a dvd recorder,as i may want to keep some stuff i record from freeview.

Yes it certainly is possible. Indeed this is what most people tend to do if they want to archive stuff. The second (VCR) Scart can be connected to a DVD recorder and set to output either Composite or SVHS. But you want it to output RGB right ?? Thought so ! Well you can do that by cheekily connecting the main (TV) scart output to the DVD recorder instead. This may require a bit of scart lead swapping every so often - but its easy enough to do. :)

PS : Also keep in mind you could always up-grade the internal hard-drive to 200 gig too !! :clap:

Thanks for all the help i have placed an order with Empire Direct for a Humax 800t today.

Denwyn said:
Thanks for all the help i have placed an order with Empire Direct for a Humax 800t today.

Hope you enjoy it. Watching recordings in Broadcast quality is something you will get used to very quickly !! Its ace !! And being able to pause live tv and 'chase play' on recordings is ultra cool too.

Dont forget to look out for the OTA Humax software updates. :thumbsup:

I found this Humax FAQ very handy:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeview_humax.html

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom