1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax PVR-8000T - Startup noise?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by J_E, Dec 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. J_E

J_E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the Humax PVR-8000T (80G) and have the following problem:
    When I switch the unit out of stand I can hear the Harddrive accelerating up to speed,once the harddrive has reached full speed it takes a couple of seconds before the picture is shown,this is all normal behaviour and the noise from the hard disk at this point is what's to be expected.
    However the second the picture is displayed the harddrive starts making an annoying "ticking" noise (easily audible from 8ft with the volume set to normal listening level),this noise goes on for about 60-80 sec. and then disappears. It is the same behaviour every time the unit is taken out of standby.Is this normal? or is something wrong.
    Switching channel during this 80 sec period momentarily stops the ticking only for it to return once
    the picture of the new channel is displayed. Switching channels doesn't seem to affect the duration
    of this "ticking period"

Any thought?

Cheers JE

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    If I listen closely, I can hear clicking sounds, but these are no more than to be expected from a hard drive. n.b I do not have the original 40GB or 80GB drive fitted.

3. J_E

J_E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which hard disk are you using?

JE

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    A Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 120GB

5. J_E

J_E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked the Humax technical helpline about the startup noise from the harddrive and I got the following response:

"The issues that you are experiencing with the PVR-8000T/80 are normal due to the size/specification of the HDD used on the PVR. We will look in the future to possible to change this behaviour with software updates if possible."

So it sounds like it's specific to the 80G drive. Can anybody with a standard 80G drive confirm this?

Thanks

JE

6. Fatman

Fatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an 8000T with the original 80Gb HDD. Yes, there is a very audible ticking sound for around a minute (never timed this) after the thing boots up. After booting I can only hear the drive spinning if I get really close to the unit.

7. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I bought an 80Gb 8000T when they first came out, and yes mine ticks for about 90 seconds as soon as the TV channel is displayed when it comes out of standby, exactly as you state JE. I haven't yet tried a disk "reformat" but it sounds like it won't fix it from Humax's response. At least its good to know it is not just mine.

AJP

PS It is dead quiet after that.

8. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the temporary ticking doesn't bother me, I am nonetheless curious as to its purpose. Certainly no PC I've ever used has exhibited the same characteristic.

9. J_E

J_E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys for helping me get to the bottom of this problem. Knowing that the behaviour is "normal" makes it a bit easier to live with. And since I will probably upgrade the HDD to 120/160G at a later stage I shall forget about it for now and just get on with enjoying using what is otherwise a great product.

Happy New Year

JE

10. Tones

Tones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the 80GB PVR-8000T, mine also makes a clicking noise when booting up for a minute or so.

What I would like to know though is, does anybody get the clicking noise when they go in to the Time Shifted Recording? Whichever function I use within the time bar.....I get a clicking sound!! Is this normal or is it a fault?

Thanks