Humax PVR-8000t Questions?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of ordering the Humax PVR8000t within the next couple of days. I'm hoping that somebody might be able to clear up a couple of things which I am unsure about (have read all the reviews and links I can find).

1. I plan to use the Humax to record onto the hard drive, then later archive the stuff I wish to keep to DVD via my Philips DVDR75 recorder. I've heard of some recording issues with this, have they been cleared up with software updates yet?

2. How do you receive the software updates to the Humax? it kinda sounds as though you need a special cable to download them from a PC. Do they also broadcast updates over air transmitions like Pace? If cable is needed then how much do these cost approx?

3. Recording over to my DVD recorder, can this be made via RGB scart or only an ordinary non-RGB scart socket? I don't want to think I will be losing out on picture quality when I archive to DVD.

Thats all I think I need to know, was thinking of waiting for the Fusion but after reading a few posts in other forums about the Fusion FRT100 am feeling a little doubtfull, also getting imapatient:lesson: :laugh:

I only pray that the Humax doesn't suffer from those picture freeze problems I experienced with the Pace Twin:mad:

Anyway, thanks in advance for replys/opinions!

Updates are done over the air, but can also be done from a PC. You will need a null-modem cable and a 9-way to din adaptor, but Humax tech support sent me one free when I enquired about cable pin-outs.
I believe the software that I now have on my box has fixed the archiving to DVD problem.
There are 2 scart leads, and the menu option for the TV one gives you options for composite, RGB and s-video outputs, and the Video scart has composite and s-video options.

Martin.

Cheers for those replys, wow, took some reading in that radioandtelly forum link you gave. Very helpfull though:cool: .

Great news for us (nearly) Humax buyers!! the Humax PVR8000T is now only £149.95 + p&p at Dabs:D . Think I will order mine today.

Just one more question I'd like to clear up first if poss. Do any of the current crop of PVRs allow you to record through RGB to a DVD recorder? It seems that the Humax doesn't but I'm not sure about the others, was gonna wait and see about the Fusion but this price has all but clinched the sale:)

Don't see why you can't connect the humax tv scart to the recorder so you get rgb. I've done it that way with my nokia freeview box and E50 recorder. I've also connected a tivo to the E50 via RGB (although I now extract digitally from tivo direct to my PC). There's nothing to say you need to use the vcr scart at all: the recorder will pass through RGB so you don't need to connect the humax directly to the tv. (Actually, perversly, you might want to connect the vcr out to the tv for the odd times when your recorder is recording an analogue channel but you want to watch the humax. Obviously this will be composite or svideo at best since the vcr scart doesn't output rgb).

Good point Bobones! I guess there is no need to even use the second scart from the Humax. Why didn't I think of that:confused:

One last thing. Do any of you have opinions of Dabs? I haven't used them before and the fact that they cannot be contacted by phone bothers me slightly. Slightly tempted to pay the extra tenner and buy from QED. Damn, I don't know, currently sitting in last stage of checkout at Dabs thinking:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What warrenty did you get from Dabs? I see that QED offer 2 years parts and labour. Were you happy with Dabs service?

Thanks Dave, thats good to know. So what is there left to hold me back:D

I just watched Frasier recorded on the Humax from last week and the sound went of in the last 5 minutes, I don't know if this was a fault with the pvr or Ch4 having sound problems.
Did anyone watch Frasier last week???

Not the Humax, it was channel 4, they lost the sound for 10 mins due to an amplifier fault.

I think it will be repeated on the 8th March

and there was I messing about with my scart cables to check the ntl box was ok. That said - while I did this I lost video on ntl box and had to disconnect it for a bit.

Originally posted by Dave Taylor
Not the Humax, it was channel 4, they lost the sound for 10 mins due to an amplifier fault.

I think it will be repeated on the 8th March
Thanks for that, I thought it was my pvr :)

Just a quick word for Dabs, they've been around for years, I've bought computer parts from them at various times over the last 5-6 years, they are trustworthy and have always done what they've said for me

Thanks for the reassurance MAW, ordered the Humax from Dabs last night so have be patient while Dabs await shipment:boring:

Looking forward to receiving it, sounds like a great piece of kit, reliable too:)

Originally posted by Tetlee
One last thing. Do any of you have opinions of Dabs? I haven't used them before and the fact that they cannot be contacted by phone bothers me slightly.

Let me put it this way.

If you're buying solely on price and don't plan on using their "Customer Services" then go right ahead.

If however you think you may encounter an issue with the product you purchase, I would consider other retailers first.

I had an issue with a defective laptop purchased as a Christmas present. When we opened it we discovered that the onboard camera didn't work. I requested an RMA from Dabs so we could return it and get a refund, pointing out that as we were on holiday (in South America) I would contact them to effect return of the laptop once we were back in Blighty. This request was within 4 weeks of delivery of the laptop.

When I did return, the RMA had expired (it has a validity period of 14 days which they don't mention in the email:nono: ), so I contacted them again requesting another or for the first to be revalidated. They refused and directed me towards the manufacturer to get it "repaired" under warranty.

Various emails were exchanged, in almost every case it took Dabs 2 days to respond to my emails. I didn't think this was terribly impressive for a company that eschews such old fashioned technology as the telephone.:(

Eventually after dragging in the finance company (the laptop was purchased using a Buy Now, Pay Later scheme) and pointing out that they were jointly liable under the good ol' consumer credit act, they also laid into Dabs on my behalf. Lodging a complaint with my Local Trading standards didn't do much, except make me feel better!

The magic trick seemed to occur when I sent a strongly worded letter to the MD (one Mr. David Atherton) detailing my experience with his company and giving him 14 days to resolve the situation.

Lo and behold, on the morning he received it I got a short but sweet email from Dabs Customer Service saying they had reopened the RMA and did I need any help arranging the collection? :laugh: Just for chuckles the couriers didn't turn up on the agreed date either, sauntering along 2 days later to collect the laptop.

In summary, check out the feedback at places like Kelkoo, Dealtime and Pricerunner. Then make your own decision.

I see you've already ordered! Hope everything runs smoothly and let us know what you think of the Humax.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have used them probably 15 times with good results, but never for anything as expensive as a laptop.

Have bought 2 laptops off them no probs at all! Dabs are good but their customer service is that of an etailer. Had a bit of hassle when a fax machine was nicked off a parcel force van but got a replacement after a couple of emails.

At the moment I seem to be getting further away from receiving my Humax:eek: The day I ordered it stated that Dabs would have them in stock within 1-2 days, checked the next day my order status : stock expected 3-4 days:rolleyes: Checked again the following day: stock expected 1 week:rolleyes:

Ah well, good things come to those that wait:lesson: Although if they keep doing this I'll just cancel and pay the extra tenner ordering from QED. I'll give it a little longer first though.

Hehehe, just canceled my outstanding order with Dabs. Reason: checked QED, Price £144.20:clap: and in stock:clap: . Seems Dabs did me a favour by keeping me waiting a while:smashin:

Right then......onward to QED!!!!!!!!!

You'll not get a character ref. for qed from me, probably no one else round here. They deduct your card when you make the order regardless of stock, and have been known to take some time to deliver. Check the plasma forum, some have waited 4 months for stuff.

Originally posted by MAW
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have used them probably 15 times with good results, but never for anything as expensive as a laptop.

I've also bought bits & bobs from them over the years, but this was the first time I'd purchased anything of that value from them.

I will not be doing so again. Of course they're not to blame for the hardware fault, but their shabby customer service means I shall be taking my custom elsewhere in future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom