1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax jumps & pauses

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DangerMouse!, Dec 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone noticed jumps & pauses while watching live or recorded programs on their humax 8000?

p.s. I did upgrade it to 120mb :devil:

2. JamesE

JamesE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only seen oddities when watching time shifted by nearly one and a half hours. Sometimes a slight jump when watching a recording before it has actually finished recording (so the head must be toing and froing merrily). Tell us more about your 120GB - any other problems?

3. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using a Maxtor 120gb drive, I tried a 120gb Samsung at first which cured the noise problems of the orginal drive but it was not compatible with the timer record software.

The Maxtor is only very slightly quieter than the orginal but I am getting these pauses/jumps, maybe it is becuase the signal strength is so bad in my area as I have not heard of anyone else getting these problems when they upgraded.

4. mikthe20

mikthe20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I occasionally get very quick stutters in playback. Very rare indeed, but it does happen. Also occsionally get lip-sync problems, which is probably related. Standard 40gb Humax bbox on v11 s/w.

5. icurnow

icurnow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine three weeks now, all original, and came with current firmware. Often seeing stutters etc, about one every 10/20min whilst simply watching transmission.

Somewhere elso on forum its been mentioned - by others before. Not a good feature!
    Ian

6. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    (I assume everyone in the thread is talking about the 8000T - correct me if I'm wrong.)

Are you sure it's not just a reception problem? I'm in a poor reception area and my 8000T freezes when there is any interference. It's usually a good indication that there is a taxi nearby.

By way of contrast, the picture on my Daewoo Setpal box breaks up badly when there is interference. I assume Humax have chosen to mask the picture break up with the less distracting freeze frame.

7. joncon

joncon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought mine yesterday. Its ok for first few minutes, then jumps and freezes few minutes, then ok afterwards. Bad on ITV1, CH4, doesn't happen on BBC1, BBC2. I phoned Humax help line, was told how to retune manually, but it hasn't helped. Signal strength on ITV1, CH4 is 70%, on BBC1, BBC2 is 80%, but 70% should be plenty. My Sony VTX-D800U on the same aerial is perfect. Any ideas, anyone? Should I send it back? Would loading new software help?

8. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your input,
    Glad it's not my DIY upgrade
    Must be the bad signal, my pace settop box used turn into psychodelic nightmare all the time, guess Maldonian is correct that the Humax is masking signal drop outs, rather nice feature and a lot less disturbing than crackles and picture noise.

9. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ITV1 and Ch4 are broadcast on a mux that uses older technology. Not entirely sure on the finer points but I believe it's something like muxes A and B are broadcast on the older QAM standard to get more channels on. The newer system used by BBC etc (QAM32? or something) is much better. That's why most problems are with those channels.

Not sure I got the detail right but that's the jist of it, have a google about and you'll find more. Somebody else might know more.

10. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine not only jumps & stutters but for the last few days I have not been able to receive any ITV stations at all (1, 2, News etc.). Channel 4 comes and goes as well. Mine shows a grey screen with a box which alternates between reading "No or bad signal" & "This channel is scrambled or unavailable" while the sound is still being broadcast. My signal strength can be as high as 70% but the quality reading can still be 0%!! I live in Maidstone Kent but the ITV broadcasts I receive on the Humax is London. Does anybody have a frequency for the Meridian signal so as I can try manually tuning it?
    Also none of the stations ever give me 5.1 sound, only 2 channel stereo. Is this another drawback in having a poor signal?
    Thanks