Humax iCord HD+ (HD Plus) – EPG and FTP-Transfer questions.

Triky

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Humax iCord HD+ (HD Plus) for use in Germany to receive UK and German channels from the Astra satellites 1 & 2 at 19E and 28.2E. Attached to a DiSeCQ it is a great bit of kit that does almost everything I want it to.

However, I have the following, fairly specific, questions and was hoping someone here could help me.

1. Is it possible to transfer files TO the Humax HD+ over the network (as is possible with the iCord HD and the Humax HDR)?
Perhaps via FTP or SMB? I can transfer files via USB but this is a pain in the ass. I can download recorded files from the Humax HD+ to my mac using XBMC, but not the other way round. Is it possible? If so, how?

2. Is it possible to somehow receive the tvtv EPG data for British channels on Astra 2, 28.2E (either OTA or via internet)? I’m in Germany and the German tvtv EPG works great. Is there any way to get the British one working too? Currently I only have now&next info for the UK channels.

3. Export / Import channel list. This doesn’t appear to be possible any more – is there any way round this for the HD+, like on the Humax HDR? It appears that it was possible in an earlier firmware version - why would Humax disable this option?

Many thanks,
R

This isn't about Freesat, is it?
If it was you wouldn't be asking about the EPG for UK channels.
There are one or two machines that can be made to get the Freesat EPG, but I don't think yours can do it.
Others may be able to answer the other questions that I don't even understand.:blush:

Thanks for the reply logiciel. True, its not totally Freesat related. I'll post about the EPG elsewhere.

R

That's OK, and here where I've moved your thread you should get some responses to your enquiry. Logi

Tricky, im buying a iCord HD (not HD+) for use in the uk. Did you ever manage to find out how to get the uk free to view channels working on the 7 epg more thn just now and next? The guy im buying it off uses it in the uk and sais the epg works fully over here. Im just a little doubtful that it will. I'll just be using the standard uk "sky" installed dish i had from a previous "sky +HD" box and plugging the two sat cables in as they are.

If you or anyone else can help let me know please?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. - He hasn't posted for over a year but he might still be around.;)
You'd be a lot better for the free UK channels with a Sky or Freesat machine, but some other machines can receive and show the EPGs that are meant for either of them.

Welcome to the forum. - He hasn't posted for over a year but he might still be around.;)
You'd be a lot better for the free UK channels with a Sky or Freesat machine, but some other machines can receive and show the EPGs that are meant for either of them.

Yeah i wanted something different to sky. Freesat seemed like the best option but is limited on its channels, and the only box that seems worth having for decent enough money is a humax foxsat hdr. I was then looking at the skybox f5 as it is possible to get more channels on it, all ftv, internet, card slot etc.. but the box itself isnt to amazing especially with no built in pvr or epg.

The iCord came up second hand, great condition for £65 inc del and did everything i wanted really for cheaper with the humax quality just without the uk 7 day epg. Even though the bloke does say the uk epg works for him im not sure as i think his sat dish is motorised and uses german channels aswell. From what he said i think he used skynews as an example of a fully working epg, what sat that came from though i dont know. My sat is installed the same as any "sky" engineer in the uk would install one so i dont know what will happen really.

Is there anything or another box you can suggest? Or know how to get a working epg onto the iCord?

As far as i can tell the iCord HD and HD+ are different boxes but dont seem to different in spec, i think they were just available in different EU countries. Theres not an awful lot written about them that isnt in german and especially referencing using them in the uk. Nothing that seems to be newer than 2/3 years ago so i dont know if the epg problem has been fixed since.

Any help you could give please.

Thanks

All satellite receivers get the same free channels - there are no limitations about that.
You don't get more channels on any machine than you do on another.
Machines do vary in the additional facilities that they provide, including some through the internet.
The Freesat EPG includes only the channels of which the broadcasters have chosen to be included in it.
That's most of them, but all the others are easily available on the machine.
It would have been your best option, and there is a choice of machines: http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/.
Many other machines can provide one EPG or another though, and as that machine has done so for the current owner it will do the same for you.
HD+ is a system that's used by some European broadcasters, and isn't relevant for UK channels.
HTH, and with any luck other owners of the ICord will come up with more details.

Last edited:
Try the ICordForum. If it's only for free UK channels you'd do better with a Foxsat HDR for Freesat. If you want the potential for more than that look at Linux based receivers such as DM800se and VU+ duo/solo2.

Right ok thanks. The humax foxsat hdr was first choice but as this iCord has come up with extra features for like £40 less i basically wanted to know if it will work just as well for me, especially as it has a CI card slot giving me that future option if i wanted it, as the freesat one would from my current dish as it is or am i better off paying more?

Should i be able to plug in, search and off i go?

The epg not working was one of my main concerns and i cant seem to get a complete answer as wether it willor not. I mean iwont die without one but its just something i wanted to know before buying.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
especially as it has a CI card slot giving me that future option if i wanted it,

Foxsat HDR also has the CI slot, not that it's any use on 28.2E.

With the icord you'll need to plug in, set the satellite to 28.2e then scan for channels. You'll then need to organise your channels and identify regional channels if wanted. You'll get now/next EPG for sure, 7 day EPG is doubtful, unless it has been hacked into the software. You'd also need to rescan channels from time to time if they change transponders. If it does give 7 day EPG you'll likely not have series link recording.

With a Foxsat you'd plug it in, enter your postcode, auto scan for channels and that's it. You'll have full 7 day epg and series link recording, think Sky+ without any subs. The EPG is split into sections in a similar way to Sky you can find stuff. Any channels changes are automatically handled by overnight updates. You'll also have digital text, red button services and iplayer/itv player. Any channels not listed on the Freesat EPG can be added in NonFreesat mode and can be put into the EPG using the custom firmware from this site if needed.

this iCord has come up with extra features for like £40 less i basically wanted to know if it will work just as well for me, especially as it has a CI card slot giving me that future option if i wanted it
I doubt that it has any useful features that a FS or other machine wouldn't have.
The card slot would be of use only if you wanted European channels and had an additional dish.
If it has been working on the UK free channels then it should work for you as soon as it's powered up.
The seller should be able to confirm that for you, one way or the other.
However, as kevkbuk confirms, a FS machine would be a better - but admittedly pricier - option.

Last edited:
Ah right yeah i was afraid about the epg/series rec. The mrs would have a bitch if it was complicated for her to use when im not there. And if on the current dish im on (as i dont plan on getting another soon) if the iCord wont get anymore channels than the freesat foxsat then theres not really any benefit other than the price. Even though i did think sat boxes such as satbox f5 which i was looking into first would receive more channels than standard freesat? Thats what i was told anyway. And the icord can play from usb media devices and connect topc via ethernet and expand the storage via usb, none of which i thought the foxsat could do?

Ideally i want the new humax freetime box, but its just to much at over £220.

Any other pvr sat boxes people can recommend that are of simual quality to the humax freesat?
The bush, sagem, goodmans and that one currys are doing which is basically the bush again, all seem utter crap.

Cheers

The Skyboxes etc are capable of card sharing to receive paid channels, but that cannot be discussed here, that's probably what you've seen regarding being able to get more channels. Any free channels can be viewed on the Foxsat, any that do not pay to be in the Freesat EPG can be viewed in non freesat mode.

With the custom firmware available on this site the HDR recordings can be viewed on your PC via network and there's a web interface for remote control. You can also add non freesat channels to freesat mode. It can store recordings onto USB devices and playback from them also but only if the video is in the appropriate format, it's not a great media player.

The Humax Freetime box is still work in progress I believe, the HDR is really the best choice, though you'll find fans of the Samsung and Echostar models if they are still available. Head on over to the Freesat section and search around. The Bush/Goodmans etc are rubbish and best avoided.

Right it i cba with the fuss with the iCord compared to the ease of the foxsat. So ive got a 500gb foxsat off ebay for £112.50.

Seems so much easier and the iCord was also only a 250gb pvr also. Theres a small chip outta the corner of the front flap but the remote is a brand new humax official replacement as it was a store display model without one previously.

Seem like a good enough price?

Cheers for all the help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that was a quick decision but a good one, though your comment about "bush, sagem, goodmans" was not correct.

i did think sat boxes such as satbox f5 which i was looking into first would receive more channels than standard freesat? Thats what i was told anyway
Any machine will receive more channels than there are on the FS EPG, but most of them are encrypted and to view those on any machine requires a Sky subscription, so what you were told was only partially correct.

Last edited:
It was iyho, but was not in mine, and I don't want the makers trying to sue AVF!

Hi montycatt,

this reply is probably not much help to you since you've obviously just purchased a Freesat machine. Still perhaps it is helpful for someone in the long run.

I am using an iCord HD+ in Germany to receive both UK channels (Astra 19) and German channels (Astra 28.2). The iCord HD+ is definitely optimised for the european market.

- The HD+ will not decrypt UK (=Freesat) 7day EPG. You will only see now/next for all UK FTA channels.
- It is possible that a cracked firmware on the HD model allows you to do this but this is not possible with the HD+ model
- As logicel mentioned, you will be able to receive all channels that are available, however since it is not a freesat branded box you will have to channel search UK channels manually - this includes all regional channel versions and any channel or frequency changes that happen over time.
- If you are intending on receiving German or other european channels then you WILL receive a 7day EPG over the european TVTV EPG service.
- The media player is acceptable - it will play media (video, jpgs or mp3) from any network share or UPnP share. Video file formats are limited - effectively divx / xvid in avi containers. There is no sign of this being updated. I used this a lot to start with but in the end the file limitations are too much and i switched to a mac mini HTPC (thats a another story).
- The internet services are good but again optimised for the european market. The TV on demand services of the main German broadcasters are available (ADR, WDR & ZDF) and work well. UK services such iPlayer and itvplayer are not. They are also not available over the Humax app system.
- THE CI slot allows the use of the HD+ service from the commercial German broadcasters. With a suitable card this will still work in the UK to receive these German channels. Otherwise it serves no purpose for UK services.

For the sole use in the UK for UK channels then they are way better options (e.g. any Humax Freesat box). For a good multi dish box for various UK and European broadcasters with a focus on european services then it's great.

I hope that helps.

R

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom