Humax HDR2000T recordings fail:"loss of power"

Jon Dennington

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

Newbie to this forum, so hope I am now in the right place?

Having had many different PVRs, I just bought a HUMAX HDR2000T last week.

3 out of the 5 planned recordings over the week have 'failed due to a loss of power' with up to 40 minutes of programme recording.

Having looked on Google, there are many references to this in different/older Humax machines. One solution on other machines is to set the timer on at say 05:00 and off at 01:00

HOWEVER, this box only allows automatic shutdown on or off.

Has anyone else seen this problem and is there a recommended solution for this model, please?

TIA

I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2, so an older version of yours but with the same basic operation.

You may have a duff box.

But firstly, a few questions:

a. Do you put your box into Standby when you do not need to watch anything?

b. Is your box set for Automatic Shutdown?

c. Have you had any power interruptions in your area?

d. Do you have any automatic electricity controls in your house?

Martin

Thanks for the reply, Martin

a) Not manually, see (b)

b) During these failures the box was set to shutdown automatically (but obviously start recording when programmed) I have now set the box to stay on permanently to see if this makes any difference.

c) No

d) No

Some 'answers' for previous Humax models have been to remove the ethernet connection when recording, but many are based on setting manual box on and off times which is not possible on this model.

This is really frustrating as I wanted a new and reliable model along with Digihome and Ellion recorders which occasionally freeze or stutter these days.

Thanks

Jon

The problem was restricted to Foxsat-hdrs years ago and has long been fixed. The clock failed to restart so a power cut terminated all future recordings until the box was manually booted. All Humax now re-start the clock when the power comes back. Of course you will lose any recording in progress at the time of the power loss.

The other issue affected the HDR1000S model, the first recording of the day always failed , also long since fixed. It wasn't related to a power cut in any way.

Were you by any chance recording the new BBC HD channels BBC3 HD or BBC4 HD ? If so there is a known issue with these channels.

See

Can You Record BBC Three HD | AVForums

Last edited:
In a week since new, 3 out of 5 recordings have had the "loss of power" error on the Humax HDR 2000T.

Last night I had 2 consecutive programmes to record, the first recorded only 40 minutes of a 1.5 hour program (and reported the loss of power error) and the second, 45 minute programme recorded correctly.

As we have not had any actual power supply problems in this time, I can only think that this model has some inherent error?

Jon

Not that it has ever been an issue for me, but can 'loss of power' = 'drop in signal' ?

TIA

Jon

In a week since new, 3 out of 5 recordings have had the "loss of power" error on the Humax HDR 2000T.

Last night I had 2 consecutive programmes to record, the first recorded only 40 minutes of a 1.5 hour program (and reported the loss of power error) and the second, 45 minute programme recorded correctly.

As we have not had any actual power supply problems in this time, I can only think that this model has some inherent error?

Jon

What does the error message say ?. What signal strength/quality do you get when tuned to a channel in each multiplex you can receive ?

It's not a problem I have seen reported before, so either you have some local reception issues (weak reception close to the digital cliff or some local source of interference) or your specific box is faulty.

Signal is 50% - 55% on each Mux. Quality 100%

The error message (when selecting the 'recorded' programme icon is "recording failed due to loss of power" and when running the screen timer shows less time than should have been recorded eg 40 minutes instead of 1.5 hours and it stops after 40 minutes)

I see that the problem has been reported before on other Humax models?

Also if there had been a power supply fault, the computer (which is off) in the same area switches itself on after a full power outage...which it hasn't!

Jon

Jon,

I am afraid you are one of the early adopters for this model and, as such, are first to encounter the "design features" that seem to include themselves in new products. The lack of a RF Loop-Through in the 2000T is an early indication that something has gone wrong in the transfer of the software from the Fox-T2 to the 2000T. The HDR Fox-T2 500Gb may be a better bet for reliability.

If I read your answers to my questions correctly, you rely on the Automatic Shutdown to power the box into Standby. There may be a problem with this aspect of the software and I believe you are right to switch off this function.

I do not know how long the box waits (after what? - the last button push?) to decide if an automatic shutdown is required but with your recent consecutive recordings failure it may be the box decided to shut down during the first recording and did so but then woke up again, as programmed, for the next scheduled recording which was less than the automatic shutdown period.

Though it may use more electricity in the short-term I suggest you keep the box on for a few days to see if that makes any difference to the recording problem. Please make sure the box has sufficient space around it for cooling.

After a few days I recommend you power into Standby when you finish watching the TV to see if that makes any difference.

Finally, switch the Automatic Shutdown back on again to see what happens then.

In any event, the box appears not fit-for-purpose and you must consider getting it replaced.

Martin

Thanks again, Martin

At least it was from Richer Sounds, so no problem with a swap out!

I'll do what you suggest and report back

Jon

Recorded a long film successfully last night off standby.
Humax support have not heard of this issue but suggest taking it off automatic standby.
Richer Sounds have had no other reports but swap out in the first 28 days.

I have set a lot of long programmes to record today including clashing schedules and have auto standby off.

Tomorrow I will do the same with auto standby on.

Jon

Thanks for the update and an interesting result.

Does your manual tell you how long the box waits before shutting down?

On my HD Fox-T2 this is 3 hours after the last User interation. So if you haven't done so I recommend you schedule a recording so that it straddles that period or the period stated in your manual.

Martin

First batch of recordings with auto shutdown off are OK! I will try without it today.

It is pre-set to 3 hours.

I also found that as well as auto shutdown on/off, there is a timer on and off in a different place. Begs the question what do you have to have auto set to in order to used the manual on/off!!?

TIA

Jon

Last edited:
First batch of recordings with auto shutdown off are OK! I will try without it today.

It is pre-set to 3 hours.

I also found that as well as auto shutdown on/off, there is a timer on and off in a different place. Begs the question what do you have to have auto set to in order to used the manual on/off!!?

TIA

Jon

Either, the auto shutdown turns off the box after 3hrs with no remote activity. The auto on turns on the box when you specify and tunes it to a specific channel, the off setting does what it says. You can also turn on the box when a specific programme starts by setting a reminder/watch programme reservation.

I am having failed recording issues due to power loss and but when I got to the machine this morning after a nights so called recording and the machine was frozen. Had to power off to get it to respond. This happened a few days ago and this is a new model ai bought last week from Currys. A lot of other weird things happen like not being able to see my videos on the drive, buttons not responding all the time, the volume bar showing change on the tv but sound stays the same. A very inconsistent machine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom