Question Humax HDR1100S on the way out?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that my Humax HDR1100S might be on the way out, and I wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar.

The box seemed to start misbehaving last Tuesday. I watched it wake-up and start recording the last episode of Shetland on BBC1HD at 21:00. I tried to wake the receiver as normal at about 30 minutes in, so that I could watch the start of the programme whilst it was still being recorded. Anyway, rather than waking-up reasonably quickly it seemed to go through a lengthy power-up, and when I checked the library for the Shetland recording there was just an entry for a failed recording at 2100. My first thought was possibly a hard drive issue, but older recordings seemed all present and correct, so I put it down to one of those things, and watched it via my Panasonic Freeview PVR instead (I always dual record stuff on Freeview and Freesat when I can -- nothing like having redundant systems. Too may years working in IT I suppose!)

On Friday, my builder was doing some fascia work above the satellite dish, and I had a mental note to check things later in the day when he'd finished but forgot. This afternoon, I woke the box from standby to add some new timer events. The recording of Rough Justice on More4+1 from Friday evening was in the library, and a check of both tuners showed 100% signal quality and strength on both tuners (my builder is pretty careful around my satellite kit) -- I wasn't expecting any issues. Anyway, this evening I woke the box up. It seemed to take a little longer than normal and when it finally powered-up it was complaining about there being no or weak satellite signal, which I thought odd given that things were fine earlier in the day. I power-cycled the box by pulling the mains power connection, and, on re-boot both tuners showed 100% values, as they did earlier in the day. I then watched the Rough Justice recording from yesterday, which was fine, then jumped to Netflix to play an episode of Orange Is The New Black for SWMBO. Playback started as normal for a couple of seconds then the app. advised that playback wasn't possible at this time and that I should try later. I immediately re-tried and the episode played to completion without further issue.

The lack of signal could perhaps be down to an iffy LNB -- the dish assembly was installed getting on for 10 years ago. The Netflix playback could of course be a glitch on the network somewhere, but it's the first time that I've had any Netflix issues since using it. The fact that the box lost a programme that it was obviously recording, the first in a very long time, and the odd power-up issues make me suspicious of the box though. It all seems too coincidental. It was power-cycled about 6 weeks ago when I reorganised my a/v rack layout and had been problem-free until last Tuesday. If I see any more 'no signal' messages I can connect the box to my distribution system which uses a different dish, but the network is shared by several other devices. In any event, I've not seen any issues thus far with other devices connected to the ethernet connection and switch.

It's probably a case of waiting and seeing, but given that the box has been in continuous use for a couple of years (I don't remember when I bought it) I wonder if it's starting to show its age.

Amy thoughts, insights would be gratefully appreciated. As I rely on the PVR I really don't want to waste a lot of time troubleshooting if it is the box -- it's easier just to buy a new one and move on, but I'd rather not do that if I didn't have to.

TIA, Clem

Some of it sounds PSU related, the slower boot up, the Netflix thing is a common error message that everyone gets from time to time, my Xbox One that's basically the missus TV box in the room (Complete waste of my money there) has had that error message as has my daughters Smart TV Netflix app, so with it happening to you I'd say it's probably coincidence on that occasion.

I’m sure Humax will suggest putting the unit back to factory settings and reformatting the hard drive as a standard problem solve.
Might be worth a go.

OK, tonight the box failed to record Top Gear on BBC2HD, but did record Good Karma Hospital on ITVHD, so a pattern perhaps, given that Shetland on BBC1HD also failed, and, if I read Lyngsat correctly, BBC1HD and BBC2HD are on the same transponder. So, whilst watching BBC2HD live I set-up a second, short manual recording of BBC2HD to see what would happen. The short recording was fine, so that to me suggests that both tuners are working, at least when I conducted my test. It could still be the LNB I suppose, but I may just cut my loses and speak to Humax to see if they've got some sort of troubleshooting guide. At present, there are still too many variables in play, but thus far it seems that the tuner selected by the box when only a single timer recording is scheduled is failing. I have other recordings scheduled so I'll see if there's a pattern, but will probably leave things in situ until Easter, when I can do some more investigating. Both tuners seem to be working based on my tests, but as the LNB is a 4 port unit it could be that one port is marginal, or one of the tuners, or the LNB itself. Grrrr.

Technology, don't you just hate it .....

Clem

I spoke to Humax this morning, and the lady that I dealt with seemed to think that like me, it's the box that's on the fritz, as it's unlikely to be the external PSU. All she could suggest was to try a factory reset (done) or a move to a different dish (planned, if problems persist) to see what happens. It's a toss-up between the box and LNB at present, but the odd behaviour that I've observed leans me more towards the box at present. As it's out of warranty now, all Humax would offer is a repair at £120, which is a box swap for a refurbished unit with a 6-month warranty. That doesn't sound that wonderful so although more expensive, a new box from JL may be on the cards. Oh joy .....

Clem

Humax do a refurb HDR1100s 500gb for £139 with a years warranty.
HDR 1100S - Freesat - set top box
That's how I got mine. It comes in a generic box (with everything) and was perfect condition.
I would go for that and sell yours as faulty (you might get £30-40 for it).

Last edited:
Yeah, might do. The box recorded something this evening, but I left well alone whilst we streamed some stuff. I'll check tomorrow and see what it actually did. I can't see how a factory reset could do anything, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Clem

A faulty tuner is almost unheard of. You should be aware that the HDR-1100S will use a free tuner - tuner 1 if free otherwise tuner 2. Probability would favour a failing LNB.

Yes, that was my original thinking, but the box has behaved oddly/out of character too, hence my also thinking that it might be some sort of general malaise. I've tried the factory reset, as Humax suggested. If that shows no improvement then I'll move the connections to my other dish to see what happens. A faulty LNB wouldn't surprise me, given that the current one has been in service for nearly 10 years.

Clem

Well, after the factory reset another failed recording this week, so I've swapped the LNB connections around to see if the problem persists. I'm still not entirely convinced that it's an LNB issue though. The series link for Good Karma Hotel (ITVHD, Sundays) disappeared from the planner for some reason, and thinking about it, that's not the first time that I've noticed that.

Clem

Did you try reformatting the HD?

No, not yet. There's some stuff that we haven't watched. TBH, I hadn't considered the drive as a possible failure source, but if it didn't spin-up for any reason, that would cause the same issue. One for the list if I still see failures.

Cheers, Clem

No, not yet. There's some stuff that we haven't watched. TBH, I hadn't considered the drive as a possible failure source, but if it didn't spin-up for any reason, that would cause the same issue. One for the list if I still see failures.

Cheers, Clem
Keep us updated, it's not looking good long term though mate.

Will do. I'm not concerned if it is a duff box and is on the way out, but if it is I wish that it would hurry-up and die so that I can replace it. I have a reasonable week of scheduled recordings, so any further failures here would suggest the box. However, it is possible that the LNB on the dish that it's normally connected to could be on the way out. I'll test that by using it to watch TV via my HB1000s that's now connected to it. However, that may not prove anything conclusively. Time will tell ... I'm bored with the troubleshooting!

Clem

Duff LNB, it appears. I woke the HB1000S that is now connected to the dish this evening, and it popped-up a weak or no signal message. I swapped the connection to the second port in the LNB and it then worked, as it did when I swapped things back to port 1. It seems that the LNB isn't always powering-up correctly. Given that two boxes, albeit both Humax, report the same problem, it looks like that it's time to get a man in to fit a new LNB.

Clem

If you can get at it, it's a doddle to DIY.

Yes, that crossed my mind. The dish is low-mounted and easily accessible. However, the dish is showing signs of age, so I'll need to take a good look before trying anything, if it ever stops raining/snowing/raining frogs. I do recall that the LNB bolts look pretty badly rusted, and may be a challenge .....

Clem

if it ever stops raining/snowing/raining frogs.

It never will .. it's global thingying or something .. was stuck waiting all day to start work on a dish a few days ago.. ended up 'starting' at 6.30pm

If it's a plug in psu .. you can try another so long as it's the same connector / voltage and at least the same amps or more... if it persists

Might be water in a cable/ connector, causing partial short .. that can upset the psu & other things ..

I do recall that the LNB bolts look pretty badly rusted, and may be a challenge
Didn't think that the Sky LNBs have ever been bolted on. Either a push fit into (Old) or just a 'saddle' with a plastic pin (newer). Ah, the bolt to tighten up the clip around the LNB.:facepalm:
So worst case will be that you also need the LNB to boom mounting thingy.

Didn't think that the Sky LNBs have ever been bolted on. Either a push fit into (Old) or just a 'saddle' with a plastic pin (newer). Ah, the bolt to tighten up the clip around the LNB.:facepalm:
So worst case will be that you also need the LNB to boom mounting thingy.
The push in plastic grommet? I always replace those little things with a nut and bolt.

Always note the Skew (twist) before replacing a LNB (Important).

[Corrected]

Last edited:
The push in plastic grommet? I always replace those little things with a nut and bolt.
So do I, but I use a stainless bolt. I suspect that Clem hasn't though.

Always note the Stew (twist) before replacing a LNB (Important)
Most people call it skew. Bloody auto-correct strikes again, I guess.:rotfl:

I've looked at the the dish, and it's in better nick overall than I was expecting, with not a lot of rust. The screwheads holding the LNB/collar in place don't seem to have tarnished. The dish is a bog standard 80cm unit and the LNB has the branding 'Zinwell' on it, as I recall, which from what I can determine, are also fitted to Sky dishes. The LNB is skewed in relation to the dish arm, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure whether to replace like for like (are Zinwell LNBs any good -- Amazon has them for about 13 quid) or is there something better out there? I assume that I'd need to buy a collar of some sort too, just in case the old one breaks, or should that be supplied with the LNB? The other idea crossing my mind is to replace the duff unit with a 4-port unit for Freesat that also has outputs to connect a SkyQ box. I'm not thinking of Sky right now, but a degree of future proofing (if there is such a thing) might be sensible. Again, on Amazon I can see genuine Sky hybrid LNBs but have no idea if they'll fit my dish. The other worry is that there's sufficient slack in the existing cabling to accommodate a replacement LNB if I pick something with a slightly different form factor. The existing cables have drip loops in them, so there's some slack.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers for all the feedback so far, BTW, very helpful.

Clem

Last edited:
Get the bog standard el cheapo Sky LNB. Most other LNBs will not directly fit the adaptor and the Sky ones are designed to work with the elliptical dish. Take a note of the skew using the calibration marks on the LNB and fit the new one with the same skew.
If you go to Sky Q later, Sky will fit a Q or hybrid LNB as part of the 'installation' at no extra cost.
The LNB to boom gizmo will not come with the LNB, and if you buy a replacement, make sure it's the correct one for your dish. (they fitted several different ones over the years). Also make sure that it's for a 37mm LNB not the 'standard 40mm.

I've looked at the the dish, and it's in better nick overall than I was expecting, with not a lot of rust. The screwheads holding the LNB/collar in place don't seem to have tarnished. The dish is a bog standard 80cm unit and the LNB has the branding 'Zinwell' on it, as I recall, which from what I can determine, are also fitted to Sky dishes. The LNB is skewed in relation to the dish arm, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure whether to replace like for like (are Zinwell LNBs any good -- Amazon has them for about 13 quid) or is there something better out there? I assume that I'd need to buy a collar of some sort too, just in case the old one breaks, or should that be supplied with the LNB? The other idea crossing my mind is to replace the duff unit with a 4-port unit for Freesat that also has outputs to connect a SkyQ box. I'm not thinking of Sky right now, but a degree of future proofing (if there is such a thing) might be sensible. Again, on Amazon I can see genuine Sky hybrid LNBs but have no idea if they'll fit my dish. The other worry is that there's sufficient slack in the existing cabling to accommodate a replacement LNB if I pick something with a slightly different form factor. The existing cables have drip loops in them, so there's some slack.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers for all the feedback so far, BTW, very helpful.

Clem

There isn't a four port output lnb that works with Sky-Q. The hybrid lnbs that will work with legacy kit have 6 outputs of which 2 are used for Sky-Q.

If your dish is wider than high (a horizontal oval) it's Sky type dish. The non sky designs are slightly narrower than tall (nearly circular). The look circular from the offset lnb position.

£34.95 SKY HYBRID 6 WAY LNB NEW 2018 | eBay

They are designed to fit on MK 4 dish. The fitting clips over the lnb arm rather than fitting inside it. To fit a lnb designed for a MK 4 dish you need a legacy adapter.

Sky type lnbs have a smaller 37mm collar and have a feed horn designed for the oval dish. None Sky LNB's have a 40mm collar and a circular feed horn. Afaik Zinwell only make Sky type lnb's.

£34.95 SKY HYBRID 6 WAY LNB NEW 2018 | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom