Question Humax HDR1100S on the way out?

Cheers. My dish is a generic, circular, non-Sky item. Over the next couple of days I'll take some piccies and upload them, as trying to explain things gets complicated! I could have got the name on the LNB wrong, but the LNB is definitely in what looks like a plastic collar, and it has a sliding cover over the cable connections. I suspect that the installer used a Sky LNB, as I recall that he had Sky stuff in his van, but I insisted on a generic dish, rather than the bigger Sky offering, simply because I wanted the installation to last as long as possible. The reception problems only started a couple of weeks ago, after nearly 10 years of trouble-free service.

Clem

Weird combo Clem, but Zinwell was definitely a $ky supplied LNB, used to be packed with the Triax $ky dishes mate.

Ah, that rings a bell. I think that the dish is a Triax, now that you mention it. I don't really care what I use, providing that it lasts as long.

Clem

Cheers. My dish is a generic, circular, non-Sky item. Over the next couple of days I'll take some piccies and upload them, as trying to explain things gets complicated! I could have got the name on the LNB wrong, but the LNB is definitely in what looks like a plastic collar, and it has a sliding cover over the cable connections. I suspect that the installer used a Sky LNB, as I recall that he had Sky stuff in his van, but I insisted on a generic dish, rather than the bigger Sky offering, simply because I wanted the installation to last as long as possible. The reception problems only started a couple of weeks ago, after nearly 10 years of trouble-free service.

Clem

Technomate TM-4 0.1 dB Universal Quad Super High Gain LNB 4 Quad 4416802013043 | eBay

‘The best LNB we have ever tested’ | Technomate News

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Technomate said:
The noise performance of both models was better than our reference’ LNB, therefore this ensures that the signal is noise-free with no distortion.
No noise? No distortion? Impossible!:facepalm:

Hmmm. It's been raining cats and dogs here for the last few days -- I got absolutely drenched on Wednesday. I'll try and get a few pictures tomorrow.

Clem

Hmmm. It's been raining cats and dogs here for the last few days -- I got absolutely drenched on Wednesday. I'll try and get a few pictures tomorrow.

Clem
I feel your pain mate, I discovered my simple multi LNB dish realignment job was going to be a nightmare thanks to cowboy builders and then the weather took a turn for the worse, just took the whole thing down till such times the weather is decent.............

That's a bit radical isn't it?:D
Not really TJ, found out the idiots had put two coach bolts 4/5th's of the way into polystyrene (That's what foam cladding is, bar some allegedly added fire retardant), the whole rig was a bloody death trap thanks to these idiots.

Don't want to hijack Clem's thread but the two coach bolts are what basically fell out into my hand, the cross section of foam is to show what they were anchored in and the AA battery is to show how tiny the bottom coach is in length.
IMG_20180407_225002_zpsiem9lqdt.jpg

Ouch! No problems hijacking the thread, that's outrageous. I really don't know how these sort of cowboys can sleep at night, but obviously they do. Jeez .....

Clem

That 'block' looks like expanded polystyrene to me. Is it?

That 'block' looks like expanded polystyrene to me. Is it?

Yip, that's the cladding E-On fitted in partnership with the local council, utter, my house feels colder than it did before they fitted the garbage.

After pressure from SWMBO I got a guy round that I'd used before, which was just as well, as the new LNB wasn't a straight swap for the original, and needed a tweak or two with an alignment meter to get the best signal levels, something that I would have struggled with. The existing bracket was re-used, but the dish arm assembly is showing signs of weather damage so will need replacing at some point, probably by replacing the entire dish. For now, the it's now sporting a shiny new Sky-branded LNB, ironic really as it's being used to receive Freesat. I've swapped the HDR1100S back to the dish and will have to monitor things. Oddly, when the guy checked the original LNB it seemed to work, and apart from a faded case, seemed in good order, with no obvious splits that would allow water ingress. The four f-connectors were bone dry under the amalgamating tape used to protect them. The guy doing the swap agreed with my fault diagnosis, but hadn't come across an LNB with the fault that I described. Time will tell ...

Thanks to all who posted on this thread. The advice and suggestions were all very helpful.

Clem

Have you seen Fake Britain on BBC1 - thousands of fake Zinwell Sky LNBs seized by Trading Standards - sold on ebay and Amazon.

Who cares if they are cheap and work.:rotfl:

Other than Zinwell and HMG.:(

No, not seen the Fake Britain article, but my guy had to order an LNB in via his supplier, and, from what I've seen, it seems genuine enough. I have a warranty for the work, so if it fails he can come back and sort it out.

Clem

Using only genuine satellite trade suppliers isn't necessarily cheaper than say ebay sellers, in fact it's more often than not dearer, but a genuine trade supplier should remove the risks of bootleg stuff ... which can end up far more expensive.
Ebay has a negative / positive feedback system that helps. . except it's geared to the positive & far too short & should allow longer term feedback. (Unless that's changed).

Who cares if they are cheap and work.:rotfl:
But how long for and how well will they perform

Other than Zinwell and HMG.:(
Installers who have their reputation tarnished when they fail and DIYers who have to replace it earlier.

They are cheap because they are built to a price with little to no quality control

It's on iplayer if anyone's interested. Use search fake...
Fake sky remotes too ...

(That pole's too thin btw lol)

I got a duff roll of Webro once ... maybe it was just a bad production run . the dielectric left a transparrent film on the copper core .. supplied by a major trade supplier .. but I always wonder . A 250mm roll is about £100 now.. but that roll cost £2000 in call backs & repairs before it was spotted. That was a one off bad manufacture of an otherwise very good / reliable product but it demonstrates why .. you can't afford to deal with rubbish & can't afford for bootleg stuff to get in.

The trouble with a lot of knock-off gear nowadays is that it looks very much like the real thing, especially to the untrained eye. Sadly, a lot of stuff ends-up on eBay and Amazon. I don't buy much on eBay, at least nothing that may have any significance in terms of safety, reliability, etc., and on Amazon I only buy if Amazon is the supplier, for the most part.

My guy charged me £50 for the LNB swap, which included supplying the LNB, and also swapping a faceplace on my distribution system. I rate that as good value. If you're in North Yorkshire then Knaresborough Satellite Services is your friend.

Clem

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Although I am quite capable of installing my own dish / LNB (I've done a few now), at that price I would probably get someone else to do it.

It can be quite a faff with a cheap meter getting the right satellite. There's a lot of them up there these days.

Ebay has a negative / positive feedback system that helps. .
Unfortunately eBay made some changes a few years ago which effectively rendered the feedback system useless, -ve feedback no longer directly impacts sellers nor does large amounts of it automatically trigger an account review by eBay as it used to. They also happily ignore reports of counterfeit goods unless the seller is using a private account, business account sellers are "protected".

Add to that the simple fact that most eBayers demonstrably don't bother checking a seller's feedback before purchasing from them and you've got a situation where eBay has become a haven for counterfeiters!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom