Humax HDR-FOX T2 - still a good buy ?

mikej

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'd like to replace my trusty old Topfield 5800 SD PVR with an HDMI-equipped, twin-tuner Freeview HD PVR and the Humax HDR-FOX T2 looks like it might fit the bill, but I'm wary that it's coming up for 2 years old now so I'd be interested in users' opinions.

Is it still a relevant piece of kit, with respect to spec and features, two years down the line ?

Does anyone know if it's likely to be replaced any time soon ?

I'll be connecting it to a Panasonic GT30 plasma and have also been looking at the Panasonic PVRs but the relatively small capacities, high prices, limited functionality (I've been spoiled with the Topfield in this respect) and poor EPG put me off.

New Panasonic PVR models are due out soon but (apart from the poor EPG, which I believe has been tweaked) I don't think the other issues will be addressed. Turning off both sound and picture totally when viewing the EPG on my Panny plasma is a real annoyance to me, so I don't want my PVR to do the same !

The 1TB FOX T2 appears to be £290 from both John Lewis and Richer Sounds at the moment (2 year guarantee from JL)

Can anyone offer any advice or opinions ? Cheers :)

The Humax Fox T2 and the DigitalStream are probably the two best boxes. There's more functionality and custom add-ons for the Humax, but it costs more, though there's been a lot of recent activity around custom software for the DigitalStream too. If you just want to have a solid, reliable 2 tuner PVR, either of these are a good bet. If you want to explore the more advanced features like media streaming, then have a careful read of the relevant threads for each box, and you may then want to post more specific questions.

I think that Humax might make a YouView box soon (before the Olympics) so the price of the T2 should fall. If you need a box now I have been happy with the T2.

Our T2 will be two years old in August and has been trouble free since new. Minor glitches have been sorted by Humax and with the help on the T2 forum.
When viewing the EPG there is a thumbnail picture of the programme you were watching and the sound stays on.
The EPG is slick and quick to use and is one of it's finer features.

It is a great piece of kit with a lot of feedback from members here. Also look at www.petertyson.co.uk
Just found this - http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=4102

Regards
Rob

Last edited:
mikej,

Was any of this useful to you?

Rob

Sorry Rob - only just seen this. Yes - the replies were very useful and I ended up buying an HDR-FOX T2 just last week :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom