Humax HDR Fox-T2 skipping during playback

Alan Somerset

Standard Member
Reaction score
When I play a recording on my Humax HDR Fox-T2 Freeview PVR it jumps forward about 30 seconds or so during playback. I can rewind and replay where the recording jumped but it is a pain and not what I want. What is causing this and how can I fix it. I have already tried reverting the machine to factory settings, but this did not work. The machine is less than a year old.

Sorry if this has already been answered but my searching has not found any previous answers given.

Many thanks. Alan

Hi :hiya:
Welcome to the Forum
Just a longshot
This can sometimes happen if your drive has been recorded up to 80/90%
full
Even though you delete a load of recordings the syptoms remain
especially on older stored recordings
You may need to Format the drive to fix it
I have similar issue with my Humax but putting up with it till I eventually get round to watching those older Series recordings before Formatting the Drive
BigCam

Last edited:
When I play a recording on my Humax HDR Fox-T2 Freeview PVR it jumps forward about 30 seconds or so during playback. I can rewind and replay where the recording jumped but it is a pain and not what I want.
Mine does this but only on recordings from Viva, which I only record for South Park. I put that down to something odd in the Viva transport stream.

If yours is doing it for all channels then I would suspect a hard disc problem of some kind. As you machine is still under warranty, I'd contact Humax support about it.

Thanks for your replies.

My hd is up to 60% full at the moment so not sure if that's a factor as yet. Will have to get on to Humax. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Alan, Somerset

Alan, have you managed to solve the playback skipping issue?

No, not really. I've noticed that there is no real pattern. Some of the old recordings play perfectly and some don't, similar situation with new recordings. A call to Humax support still to be made. Thanks for your interest.

Most of my T2 (1TB version) recordings are reduced in length by a few minutes, evidenced by a momentary 'scrambling' break-up of the picture and a skip further into the video - kind of a 'time out warp'?

Invariably this happens a few times leading to lost content and shortening of the recording with the start and finish intact!

Am waiting for a solution from Humax Support - so far they appear to have been skirting around the issue without anything positive from them and no solution in sight between outgoing and incoming emails; hard work trying to get them to understand or 'commit' basically.

Seem to be implying a poor signal but I am getting 83% strength and 100% quality on Channel 21 HD from Sandy Heath transmitter!

Hopefully Monday might bring something positive... bit ironic really, recorded 'Life's Too Short' last night, ended-up with a recording 5 minutes short, 25 out of 30 - and I have set it to record the whole series! :rolleyes:

I posted under the general thread that I am experiencing skipping on playback.
What is worrying is that I experienced this on my 9200,which then progressed to the machine deleting recorded programmes of it's own accord.
It could not be repaired,and was replaced under warranty.

After getting virtually nowhere with online Humax Support I asked for my 'case' to be passed on to a senior manager, which the guy 'Colin' almost too easily agreed to do and confirmed.

That was over a week ago - despite my having sent 2 short 'reminders' earlier this week.... what an awful way to treat a customer!

I am not at all happy with this situation and, of course, not even a support reference number to refer to?

Perhaps the words 'senior manager' sent in a mail to Humax Support automatically registers as 'spam' and bars the customer for the rest of eternity? :rolleyes:

After getting virtually nowhere with online Humax Support I asked for my 'case' to be passed on to a senior manager, which the guy 'Colin' almost too easily agreed to do and confirmed.

That was over a week ago - despite my having sent 2 short 'reminders' earlier this week.... what an awful way to treat a customer!

I am not at all happy with this situation and, of course, not even a support reference number to refer to?

Perhaps the words 'senior manager' sent in a mail to Humax Support automatically registers as 'spam' and bars the customer for the rest of eternity? :rolleyes:

jakx

I'm having the same issue with the box and the same issue with Humax! They do not appear to have any system to log calls and you start from the beginning with every call. In fact the same guy I spoke to seemed not to know my situation from Friday to the Tuesday after him saying I should phone him direct! I have tracked my issues on other forums also under 'skind56' Lost Picture - Humax - Digital Spy Forums & HDR-FOX T2 1TB Freezing | hummy.tv | a discussion forum and help reference for owners of Humax AV equipment
Good luck in making any headway with them as they are in denial with my problem, see above forums re their 4 hour testing and the problem being local to me!! I am still waiting on Humax phoning me with a replacement since Tuesday 15th November.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, what a poor system - that's another bad 'advert' for Humax - on the basis of this lack of half-decent Customer Support how can they expect customer's to recommend others into buying a Humax product...? :eek:

Jakx

... have received no further assistance from Humax online 'support' since my last post?

I have, however, managed to fix the issue myself in the meantime.

Sorry to say this, but so far as my experience is concerned they don't appear to care very much... :thumbsdow

Hi

What did you do to fix the issue?

Legally it is the shop/retailer you bought the product from that should replace/repair or refund, I wouldn't mess around with helplines if the product isn't working correctly, take it back for a replacement or refund to where you bought it. The law says the retailer/shop must sell you goods fit for purpose and free from faults, any warranty the manufacturer gives "doesn't affect your statutory rights" and is just an extra, perhaps if the shop goes bust it's of use.

Helplines and 1st line support are generally rubbish, if you can get it escalated to 2nd line you will probably get somewhere, and there are a few good people who do great 1st line support, but few and fair between usually. First line supports usual trick is to ask you to unplug something for 30 minutes and then to try again or do a factory reset, all designed to get you off the phone to be someone else's problem. I know this goes on as once worked in support, I was one of the good guys!

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
Sorry, not been on here for a while - thanks for asking - I saved the files I wanted to keep and formatted the HDD... not had any problems at all since then.

Pity the 'support team' hadn't suggested it, I had obviously considered attempting that course of action but wasn't, at that time, sure if I should without their advice! :eek:

*sigh* same problem here. Just started in the last couple of weeks.

So, no one has any further updates to this other than reformatting the HDD?

So many things to copy off it then that haven't been watched; that's going to take ages *grumble* (Though still only a little space has been used on it).

Is there an option somewhere to reformat it? I haven't looked at the file manager options in a while. Still, I guess I'll wait until the weekend as by then my freesat box should be up and running again and I can set the recordings on it.

Me too - in the past couple of weeks notice that the playback freezes (approx. 30 secs or so) then get a "channel scrambled / unavailable message" then playback resumes.

Finally elicited a response from HUMAX technical support (2 days!) to re-format the HDD. That done haven't been able to re-verify the playback quality.

Question: the reformatted HDD is 885GB vs. 1T size - is this correct? *Sounds like* near 10% of the HDD is unusable.

I bought a new humax HDR Fox T2 two weeks ago after getting so fed up with the problems on my humax 9200T that I threw it out. From the start I have had a problem with the picture freezing on playback and skipping chunks. It seems to be worse on 5* and 5 USA but I have had the problems on other channels as well. I am reluctant to start reformatting the HDD after such as short time.

I also get a problem where the picture suddenly dissapears and only the sound remains. If I switch off the recording there is still no picture on live TV. At other times the picture goes pink - even the EPG is pink. We have a cheap Tecknica television which we inherited so the latter problems may be due to the television - however, it did not happen with the previous box.

Should I reformat or would it be better to have the box replaced. I bought it from John Lewis so there would be no problem there?

LesleyG

The playback quality has been perfect since re-formatting the drive - the good news (would suggest that this reformat is done before first use).

The (potential) bad news is the HDD 'sounds like' it's on its 'last legs' - quite noisy especially when powering up/down the PVR will continue to monitor however, suspect a RMA (repair) will be in order!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom