Humax HDR-FOX T2 no sound

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by PAT P, Jan 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. PAT P

PAT P
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked at other threads but they don't really answer my question. We've only had our Humax less than a month. In most ways it's great, but one problem is that every now and then, when we switch it on, there's no sound. It's not on mute and the TV is not on mute either. The only way to get it to work again is to switch it off at the mains, sometimes several times, before the sound will come on again. Any suggestions? I'm going to contact the firm we got it from to see what they say.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,826
    As unlikely as it may seem, this may be due to one of the scart plus not being pushed fully home in their sockets.
    Check both are fully pushed in at each end of the cable feeding from the Humax to the TV.

Certainly it should be eliminated as a possible cause first before going any further.

In fact it would not do any harm to actually disconnect each scart and re-plug it, which has the effect of cleaning the contacts.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Hi

Are you connecting via HDMI? What is the make of your TV?

Are you switching the Humax off at the mains? If yes make sure you put it to standby first.

Check the connections are firmly made. Try making sure the TV is turned on first before the Humax. It might be worth trying a second HDMI or SCART cable (which ever you are using). Also are you passing the HDMI through an HDMI switcher?

Regards

Phil

4. PAT P

PAT P
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those who've responded. The TV is an HD ready Toshiba 37XV555DB. Yes, I am connecting by HDMI using the cable supplied with the Humax. I do switch the TV on first. Sometimes I can't put the Humax on standby as it seems to freeze and I can't switch it off except by the mains. I have checked the connections and the HDMI cable goes directly from the Humax to the TV. I'm not sure what an HDMI switcher is anyway.

I'm not using scarts at all - I hate them and think their connection is unreliable.

Any further thoughts on the problem?

5. brookheather

brookheather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Have you installed the latest software as that fixes some HDMI issues.

6. glesgaguyav

glesgaguyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    You may not like scarts but hook one up anyway for test purposes, it could be an HDMI problem.HDMI talks to the TV and vice versa and it's called handshaking, if this is not happening as it should then it could be a faulty cable or the TV is not talking to the PVR . Make sure your HDMI connections are pushed "Home" correctly.Make sure all sound setting are set for HDMI on your TV (some have specific settings)and PVR

7. PAT P

PAT P
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies. Yes, I've installed the latest software but I'll check that again.

I'll check the sound settings too, but I'm still reluctant to use scarts.

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,826
    glesgaguyav was not suggesting scarts as a permanent solution, but as a test.

If the problem disappears with HDMI disconnected then you would know for sure where the problem resides.

9. jerrytaff

jerrytaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The hdmi issues can often be solved by one or more of:
    a) using a different hdmi input to the TV, or
    b) switching TV input away from the T2 hdr, and then back to it
    c) changing channel on the T2 hdr and back again.

I very occasionally get the problem of lost sound when coming out of pausing live TV, and b) does it for me.

10. smudja

smudja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PAT P I too have this issue, only had the unit for 2 days, I've upgraded to the latest firmware. When left over night did a factory rest which fixed but only until the unit was put in standby when powered on again the sound had gone. Did you get anywhere? May bite the bullet and buy a better HDMI, mine's connected to a Samsung L32N73....help

11. smudja

smudja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Further to the above I've now connect the Humax to my 19" Samsung and a 22" Technika all get the same problem. I have now connected the Humax to the Technika via SCART and so far this works (the sound that is). I guess I may well need a better HDMI that come in the box with the Humax?????????

12. smudja

smudja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried a new HDMI cable however the issue persists, no sound. Anyone had this other than me????

13. RichB

RichB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I have no HDMI audio at all, I've tried it plugged directly into a TV (Pansonica TX-P42V20B), and 2 AMPS (Sony STR-DA3500ES and Yamaha RX-V1067). I am currntly in conversation with Humax about this, along with the issue of loss of HDMI video when switching inputs away from, and then back to, the HDR, which others also seem to be having.

14. smudja

smudja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to hear that RichB. I've just returned the HDMI cable to Tesco that I bought yesterday, it made no difference to my sound issue. So far I've...

Tested on 3 TVs via HDMI, I have the same issue on all. Downgraded the firmware back to .09. Swapped the HDMI. Reset to factory default and re-scanned channels.

Occasionally a Factory default and re-scan will give me sound but after going into and coming out of standby the sound has gone. Incidental so does powering it all down over night (or for a long time possibly!) and reconnecting in the morning but, after coming out of standby once no sound. In fact since the firmware downgrade I often get a pink picture as well as no sound.

All works fine over SCART......but that's not why I bought this in the first place.

Pretty much set on taking it back to John Lewis and swapping, if no joy on a replacement unit.......look for alternative.

15. Darlajane

Darlajane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say - I am having exactly the same problem and I have had the box since about October and it has been malfunctioning like this since new. It is very annoying! For me it doesn't happen all the time but about once every two or three days. I turn the box and tv on and either get sound and no picture or my tv says there is no signal at all.

I too have tried EVERYTHING (except buying a new cable) to get it to stop doing this and annoyingly I cannot find a reliable method of getting the picture and sound back. Sometimes it just seems like waiting ten minutes or so is the best remedy.

Has anyone ever had it where the box has been left on a channel but the TV turned off and then come back to it later and the sound has gone but the picture is still fine? I thought leaving it on when it was working would stop it losing the sound but apparently not.

Sometimes I wonder if it's something to do with the digital signal but I'm not sure that could be the culprit could it?

Anyway, I've just emailed Humax technical support to see if they can help at all.

Let me know if you find a solution!

I bought mine from John Lewis too...I wonder if they are selling dodgy ones???

16. brookheather

brookheather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Certainly sounds like a faulty box - worth trying a replacement.

17. smudja

smudja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know - took the unit back John Lewis replaced (they tested and had same issues), fine ever since, upgraded to the latest firmware still fine.

Cheers
    Smudja

18. Darlajane

Darlajane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the response from Humax technical support was to do a factory reset. Anyone know how this might help given that the problem has been going on since it was new?? I've just emailed them back saying 'if you give me a reason why this will work I will try it'.

19. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have this problem too with one purchased this weekend. It's outputting via the supplied HDMI to a Denon AVR1911. Worked initially on SD and HD, then on HD only, now nothing. Have had to use an optical cable to get sound.

Does this device support HDMI CEC so it can interact with other connected devices? For example, power down automatically when Panny 50g20 is put into standby.

20. technogran

technogran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    All of the Humax units which use HDMI connections have trouble 'handshaking' with quite a few TV's, including the better known makes. Despite the fact that many owners have complained bitterly about the loss of video/audio etc, they continue to use exactly the same HDMI connections as previously used, and simply don't seem prepared to do anything about it.

There are other Freeview HD PVR's out there which don't exhibit these problems at all, and I suggest you trawl the other manufacturers threads to choose a different make of PVR.

TG

21. technogran

technogran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No unfortunately Humax units do not use CEC. There probably wouldn't be any of the handshaking issues if they did.

TG

22. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Solved my sound problem. The PVR volume was turned down to zero but this did not affect volume on HD HDMI output, only SD. Not sure why this would be technically.

23. brock

brock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Similar problem just purchased a Humex HDR-FOXT20 from John Lewis, connected it with HDMI to my Panasonic LZD81 via HDMI-1 with HDMI-2 and Optical cable connected to my Panasonic SA-PT560 surround sound system
    TV sound OK, Humax No sound change Viera link from Home Cinema to TV, still no sound on Humax, put Humax back to stand by go back to home cinema TV sound OK, switch on Humax and I have sound, next time I switch on Humax guess what No sound, switch Viera link to TV sound and I have sound on Humax. I just cant guarantee when I want to use the Humax that I will get sound. Panasonic say it may be a Viera link conflict but they have not had any other reports of the problem. Local dealer who supplied TV says it is the Humax that is at fault, anyone any idea what to try next. I don't feel like buying another TV just to prove if its the TV or the Humax that is at fault.
    The Humax is always connected and in standby as I was told they work better being connect than switched on/off every time.

24. brock

brock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spoken to Panasonic and my local dealer and trying what they suggested still at square one. Just purchased a new Samsung Combi and connected the Humax to that, worked fine with a scart lead but still no sound when connected via HDMI, John Lewis picking it up and giving refund.
    May wait and see if Humax brings out another model unless someone can recommend any other PVR.

25. nrb43

nrb43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Humax HD recorder (Fox T2 500Gb) on Saturday. Last night I left it on but put the TV into standby. When I came back about 30 minutes later and put the TV back on, the sound had disappeared. I checked both volumes were on - both on TV and digibox and that no mutes had been activated. I also checked that HDMI cable still secured correctly. Changing channels had no effect. I put the digibox into standby and then reactivated it and the sound came back. Rather surprised and even more so to find that others are having difficulties with the sound. Hope this isn't going to be recurring problem. Shall test further this evening. Meant to add that TV is a Sony bravia KDL-32W5500

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  26. airline1

airline1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Was there any resolution to this issue?
    I'm having the same issue with my Humax connected via hdmi through an Onkyo 605 - video but no sound.
    I have tried every variation on set-up possible to no avail, so it's definitely a Humax issue of not wanting to play nicely.

It's not a major issue as I can connect the humax direct to the tv via hdmi and have optical via the amp, but would be nice to have everything connected via hdmi for neatness sake.

27. nrb43

nrb43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oddly enough the problem never occurred again. I've had the box for nearly half a year now and am really pleased with it. I think I've downloaded a patch since via computer (using USB stick) and possibly did a manual download on the box at the time. Either of these could possibly have fixed the issue. Hope this helps.

28. snout

snout
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem of no sound on SD Freeview when I bought the Humax last year. It went back to JLP for a replacement. After a great deal of fiddling about I discovered I had to turn the Humax volume to full on the Humax handset to get sound on SD. The TV is connected with HDMI via my Yamaha Z7. Master volume is controlled by the Yamaha. The problem didn't affect HD oddly. I've never managed to get surround sound though even with the Humax switched to multi channel.
    Last night after being fed up with the poor sound quality on HD I experimented by turning down the volume on the Humax handset to zero and hey presto, the HD sound was much better but still just stereo! Switching to SD the original problem of no sound remained until the volume of the handset was restored to full blast.
    I still can't get surround sound though so any ideas welcome

29. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Volume control doesn't work for DD Audio (HD Sound with Multichannel set)

If you adjust the volume for SD it will adjust the volume for SD ???
    The SD Volume control will only reduce volume from standard line level (Max) and can be used to "Trim" the SD Volume ref. the HD level.
    If you reduce it to Zero you will get no output !

There is no 5.1 on ITV1-HD

Only some BBC and C4 HD programs are 5.1.

The BBC-HD Preview Loop is always 5.1 (as far as my testing goes) and is a good way to check your system.

Pete

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  30. quarryhunslet

quarryhunslet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It does via HDMI to my TV, but not via Optical cable to my AV amp.