Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Seven]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DS doesn't encrypt SD on the HDD so there is no need to Decrypt when copying to USB
I know that, what I'm interested in is the HD recordings as I hardly ever make any SD recordings. Just wondered if the Humax USB method linked to above or something similar could be used on the DS to get unencrypted HD files.

I know that, what I'm interested in is the HD recordings as I hardly ever make any SD recordings. Just wondered if the Humax USB method linked to above or something similar could be used on the DS to get unencrypted HD files.

Hi Jeff,

Because the Humax encrypts everything as it records to HDD then to allow SD Clear Archives they have to have a De-Crypt function for this - The DS doesn't have any need to De-Crypt except internally when playing back HD. There may not be a method implemented for copying and decrypting !

The DS TitleName.trp folder contains 4 files - TitleName.trp, TitleName.idx, recording.pif, and recording.pif~

Like I said you can record HD Clear under 3.57 and then export under 4.0x+ (menu Method Application-Only Up/Down-Date !)

Cheers
Pete

Anybody who is, like me, waiting for Humax to implement the DLNA streaming functionality might consider going for the 3view instead.

I've been waiting the best part of 9 months now and was feeling totally hacked off, so i bought a 3view - streams to my bedroom media player a treat...

The Humax is a slightly more polished PVR than the 3view, but that's all it is - a PVR. Forget the rest.

rob

Well, thanks guys - I've managed to stumble my way, using Filezilla, to establishing a connection with the Humax.

This is the first time I've ever used ftp, so i'm quite pleased with myself :)

A couple of ftp-newbie questions -

1. how do I get the files off the box?
2. Will they be HD files, hence unviewable on anything except the Humas?

rob

P.S. I had to enable the ftp server on the Humax, it's disabled by defaulr

Last edited:
managed to answer 1, above, myself - drag and drop

Answer to 2 appears to be 'yes'...

rob

Answer to 2 appears to be 'yes'...
Only recordings from HD channels will be HD.

All recordings are encrypted on the Humax hard disc when they are first recorded, both SD and HD, and they stay that way when you FTP them to your computer. Read the release notes for version 1.02.07 of the firmware - it says "for archive purposes only" ie you have to copy them back to the Humax to be able to use them.

SD recordings get decrypted when you copy them to USB using the Media functions on the Humax. You can FTP them from the USB device if you really want to although it's easier just to transport them to your computer on the USB device, since you have to be sat in front of the Humax to copy them on to USB in the first place.

HD recordings do not get decrypted when copied to USB unless you have done the hmt jiggery-pokery referred to previously in this thread. Raydon's Foxy utility is the easiest way to do this.

Only recordings from HD channels will be HD.

All recordings are encrypted on the Humax hard disc when they are first recorded, both SD and HD, and they stay that way when you FTP them to your computer. Read the release notes for version 1.02.07 of the firmware - it says "for archive purposes only" ie you have to copy them back to the Humax to be able to use them.

SD recordings get decrypted when you copy them to USB using the Media functions on the Humax. You can FTP them from the USB device if you really want to although it's easier just to transport them to your computer on the USB device, since you have to be sat in front of the Humax to copy them on to USB in the first place.

HD recordings do not get decrypted when copied to USB unless you have done the hmt jiggery-pokery referred to previously in this thread. Raydon's Foxy utility is the easiest way to do this.

Thanks for that - useful to know.

rob

Anybody who is, like me, waiting for Humax to implement the DLNA streaming functionality might consider going for the 3view instead.

I've been waiting the best part of 9 months now and was feeling totally hacked off, so i bought a 3view - streams to my bedroom media player a treat...

The Humax is a slightly more polished PVR than the 3view, but that's all it is - a PVR. Forget the rest.

rob

Thank you for the heads-up - but as I have bought the Humax and have no intention of buying something else to replace it, these unofficial routes to compliance are of interest.

Great thanks for the info guys, I can now play my HD recording done on the Humax on other devices :thumbsup:

Hi,

Will the Foxy method to remove the 'Enc' flag for HD recordings work on the HD FOX-T2 (with your own external USB HDD attached and using the latest firmware that allows PVR functionality for the HD FOX-T2)?

I don't have the unit yet but would be really interested if I could get unencrypted HD recordings. I would hope that I could just plug the external USB HDD with the HD recordings, straight into a laptop and run the Foxy utility without the need for copying files etc.

Hi,

Will the Foxy method to remove the 'Enc' flag for HD recordings work on the HD FOX-T2 (with your own external USB HDD attached and using the latest firmware that allows PVR functionality for the HD FOX-T2)?

I don't have the unit yet but would be really interested if I could get unencrypted HD recordings. I would hope that I could just plug the external USB HDD with the HD recordings, straight into a laptop and run the Foxy utility without the need for copying files etc.

I don't think that can work because copying from the internal drive to USB is a NECESSARY part of the decryption process.

Thanks for the response.

I'm wondering if I can maybe create a separate small partition on the same external HDD and copy from the T2 to this separate partition, then apply Foxy and copy it back???

I don't know if this is possible as I don't have the unit and hence no GUI to see how the copy to USB works or even if you can attach 2 usb drives to the unit as another alternative.

I like the Foxy solution. I have a folder on the hummy called "Keep Me" containing several Corries (in which my missus features) and in which I was keeping other "do not delete" programmes. Now, they're on my PC and available to watch in very high definition :cool:

Was interested to see the information about ftp connectivity, as I tried this when I first got the HDR, without success (but without knowldge of the requisit user/password).

So, tried again yesterday, but still no luck.

I have FTP enabled on the HDR and have confirmed the IP address, but using Filezilla, the connection appears to proceed successfully, but hangs with a status message saying something like 'waiting for welcome message', then times out. In Window (XP) explorer the request just hangs.

Interesting also that in my Netgear router info, it says 'unknown device' against the IP address, in the list of network devices.

The HDR reports a connection to my network, and the portal works ok.

Anyone else seen this, or got any tips to try?

Apologies, it would have been helpful to post the firmware version. I'll check and add it later. Its likely to be whatever was current at the end of March.

Many thanks

Also do you have any security/firewall software installed which may be blocking the FTP port (port 23)?

Apologies, it would have been helpful to post the firmware version. I'll check and add it later. Its likely to be whatever was current at the end of March.
There's only one official firmware version which supports FTP, 1.02.07.

Sorry, can't help you with your Filezilla problem, it worked first time for me (on an iMac, so not the same platform as you). A quick google suggests that some people who have experienced that problem found that it just "went away" - not very helpful really. The main other suggestion seems to be to change Filezilla from active to passive mode. As I say, I didn't have to do that, so I can't really comment.

have you tried this from post #20 here
ChertseyB did say he'd tried through Explorer as well and it just hung.

Also do you have any security/firewall software installed which may be blocking the FTP port (port 23)?
I think that if Filezilla is waiting for the welcome message then the initial connection has been established, which would seem to rule out a firewall issue. (Port 23 is the Telnet port. FTP uses port 21 to establish the session and port 20 for the file data.)

Last edited:
Hi

There's only one official firmware version which supports FTP, 1.02.07.

Sorry, can't help you with your Filezilla problem, it worked first time for me (on an iMac, so not the same platform as you). A quick google suggests that some people who have experienced that problem found that it just "went away" - not very helpful really. The main other suggestion seems to be to change Filezilla from active to passive mode. As I say, I didn't have to do that, so I can't really comment.

ChertseyB did say he'd tried through Explorer as well and it just hung.

I think that if Filezilla is waiting for the welcome message then the initial connection has been established, which would seem to rule out a firewall issue. (Port 23 is the Telnet port. FTP uses port 21 to establish the session and port 20 for the file data.)

Not much help but will add used FileZilla as well from Windows 7 64bit no problems at all.

Has FTP been turned on in the Humax menus? (Sorry if already checked.)

Regards

Phil

I have FTP enabled on the HDR and have confirmed the IP address, but using Filezilla, the connection appears to proceed successfully, but hangs with a status message saying something like 'waiting for welcome message', then times out. In Window (XP) explorer the request just hangs.

When Filezilla does thats it normally needs switching from Active to Passive or Passive to Active depending upon whatever mode it is using as default. Define a connection to your Humax box using the Site Manager (off the file menu) and you can change the mode via the advanced button...

Hi Guys

Thanks for your considerations all the suggestions. Will have another go at the weekend, and look again at FileZilla settings. I can also try a Windows 7 netbook.

Would be nice to find the root cause rather than have the problem just 'go away'.

Can I by-pass my network and test the Humax connected directly by LAN cable to the PC?

Cheers

No you still need a router (with DHCP active to assign IP addresses).
You can set an IP address in the Humax manually (page 58 in the version of the manual I have) and I'd expect it to be possible on the XP machine as well so I'd say yes, if you know what you are doing then you can connect the PC directly to the Humax. (I did it that way when I was configuring my new ADSL modem router the other weekend.)

But I'm not sure it would help, since I don't believe the problem that ChertseyB is experiencing lies in the network. It might be useful as a way to eliminate the network as a contributory factor, but would carry the risk of confusing the issue further if you aren't confident about making the IP config changes manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom