Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Seven]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavtech

Administrator
Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part Six of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Seven.

For reference,

Part One can be found here.

Part Two can be found here.

Part Three
can be found here.

Part Four can be found here.

Part Five can be found here.

Part Six can be found here.

Thank you.

PhilipL

Hi

Using the method to get off un-encrypted HD footage I've checked the BBC bitrates on HD, and if you wonder why HD looks less than stunning that is because it is broadcast at an average bit-rate of 6Mbits/sec now. In comparison a HD camcorder records at 17 to 24Mbits/sec and Blu-ray is 25-40Mbits/sec.

I'm not even sure under EC video standards Freeview HD can be called High-definition?

I guess they call that progress :(

Regards

Phil

bampsam

Novice Member
Is there any way i can stop my humax searching for software updates at 0430 every day,as it is just when i am watching the news before i go to work.

petrev

Hi

Just incase you missed this posted at the end of Part 6 T2 Master Thread . . . so for those that are a bit adventurous ( reversible ! ) possibly the most interesting HDR T2 development in ages !

FOXY Utility (HMT Edit !) facilitates Copy HD to USB and make Clear Backup.
Foxy - An HD recording backup utility for the HDR-Fox T2 now released ! | hummy.tv

Custom Firmware - adds better FTP and other Linux advances in package form.
hummypkg.org.uk

Includes HMT edit and virtual disk to allow streaming of HD from FTP (as far as I can tell also needs something like XBMC ?)

Discussion on Hummy.TV
Customised HDF file released | Page 6 | hummy.tv

Cheers
Pete

PhilipL

Hi

I'm trying to get my head around this, but I'm liking what I see! I notice in the third link they are having a problem with the hmt utility though.
I've copied across some HD footage to the PC and it plays fine, but only seems to work in VLC not media player. In Windows media player there is no sound. In VLC the sound format switching at the program boundary causes the sound to be lost, but reselecting the audio stream in VLC gets it back.

I've tried demuxing the stream but can't seem to find a reliably way of doing that.

Handy though to be able to take it off the box and watch elsewhere.

Regards

Phil

ejstubbs

Novice Member
I notice in the third link they are having a problem with the hmt utility though.
Where does it say that? I've run the Foxy utility on my iMac and got similar results to PhilipL. I've not yet made the mod to the Humax to try running the hmt utility on there but I can't see anything on that thread which says it doesn't do what it's supposed to.

UPDATE: Sorry, I must be blind! OTOH post #141 is from someone who claims to have it working OK.

Last edited:

petrev

Where does it say that? I've run the Foxy utility on my iMac and got similar results to PhilipL. I've not yet made the mod to the Humax to try running the hmt utility on there but I can't see anything on that thread which says it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Posts - #136, #138

Looks like the modified firmware not the Foxy Utility !

etaf

Novice Member
the program notes mention copying to USB that you need to copy back to the PVR and then back to the USB again - was this necessary
how did you carry out the copy process ?

petrev

the program notes mention copying to USB that you need to copy back to the PVR and then back to the USB again - was this necessary
how did you carry out the copy process ?
Hi

That is if you don't have a network connection to FTP off the HMT file for modification.

With USB (Corrected Version)

First Copy to USB includes the HMT file.
Modify HMT file with Foxy Util
Copy back to HDR.
Then copy Back again to USB for a Clear Archive Copy (Humax decrypts as Flag is set in HMT file for Unencrypted USB Copy)

Pete

Last edited:

Black Hole

Posts - #136, #138

Looks like the modified firmware not the Foxy Utility !
I *think* its the hmt utility running under linux in the jail-broken Humax, but yes, I know they were not talking about the PC version.

If we can just log in to a telnet console on the Humax and run utilities on it to "do stuff", and maybe start daemons to just sit there and do the stuff for us (this is all just a little beyond me at the moment, but I did dabble a little in UNIX in the 1980/90's), especially if the jail-breaking doesn't cock-up the firmware update process so is completely reversible, then in the absence of official stuff from Humax I see this as the way to go.

What I'm not clear on at the moment is whether the jail-break firmware update process ADDs stuff or REPLACES the official firmware, and therefore whether you need to somehow protect from the Humax auto-updating - would it wipe out the jail-break or just update the official facilities within it? If the box was updated to new firmware, would the existing jail-break still work or would we be waiting while the gurus rewrote the jail-break?

These uncertainties make the PC work-around a bit less of a second choice for the moment. Maybe somebody could write a script that automatically spots a new HD recording file, FTPs it to the PC, clears the protection flag, and writes it back.

I have to say it seems a bit odd that Humax have left it open like this. It seems incredibly stupid that a file that is encrypted on the hard drive (to stop you accessing the drive and ripping the content directly) can be fooled into copying it in the clear just by clearing a status flag in its container (which is what I presume is going on). Can we do the same with other DRM content - eg WMV or MP4?

Last edited:

etaf

Novice Member
That is if you don't have a network connection to FTP off the MHT file for modification.
i have a network connection - but not really played with the FTP part - FTP is on - any instructions on what to do to copy via that method ?

i have a Network harddrive and a couple of pcs all sharing , which have tcersity and wms running, also the NAS uses twonky

i also have ws_ftp somewhere to

Last edited:

JeffD

Hi

I've copied across some HD footage to the PC and it plays fine, but only seems to work in VLC not media player. In Windows media player there is no sound. In VLC the sound format switching at the program boundary causes the sound to be lost, but reselecting the audio stream in VLC gets it back.

I've tried demuxing the stream but can't seem to find a reliably way of doing that.

Handy though to be able to take it off the box and watch elsewhere.

Regards

Phil
Hi Phil,

Did you happen to check the audio bit rate for the Freeview HD recordings? Intrigued to know how the bit rate for the HE-AAC sound varies between 2.0 and 5.1 sources and how it compares to the Stereo 256 kbps MP2 I believe is used for SD Freeview.

ejstubbs

Novice Member
With USB

First Copy to USB is encrypted and includes the MHT file.
Modify MHT file with Foxy Util
Copy back to HDR to get Clear HD file.
Then copy Back again to USB for a Clear Archive Copy.
It's an htm file, not mht!

Copying back from USB to the HDR does not give you an HD recording in the clear, it just gives you an HD recording without the "Enc" flag set. It's that detail which means that the HDR will decrypt the HD recording the next time you copy it to USB.

The Foxy utility and the htm utility on the Humax don't modify the HD recording (ie the .ts file) at all, they just turn off the "Enc" flag in the associated htm file. If you use the FTP method then the htm file is the only one you need to manipulate before copying the HD recording to USB or to the virtual disc to get it in clear (if you just FTP the .ts file straight off the HDD without doing the copy to & from USB/virtual disc then you will still get an encrypted recording).

So clearing the "Enc" flag 'fools' the Humax in to decrypting the recording when it copies it. The decryption code hasn't been hacked, just the flag which tells the box whether or not to run it. Hacking the actual decryption code would likely involve making unauthorised use of the crypto keys on the Humax, which would be much more dubious.

(And in case anyone missed the edit of my earlier post: I was being an idiot not noticing the posts on the hummy.tv thread about the issues that some folks have found with the htm utility running on the Humax BUT a later poster appears to have clarified the right way to use it.)

ejstubbs

Novice Member
What I'm not clear on at the moment is whether the jail-break firmware update process ADDs stuff or REPLACES the official firmware, and therefore whether you need to somehow protect from the Humax auto-updating - would it wipe out the jail-break or just update the official facilities within it?
My understanding is that the modified hdf file which af123 created adds some stuff to the existing firmware rather than replacing it wholesale. So the box doesn't think it needs to be updated when an OAD comes along with the same firmware version number as before.

If the box was updated to new firmware, would the existing jail-break still work or would we be waiting while the gurus rewrote the jail-break?
I believe that someone would have to produce a new modified hdf file based on the updated version of the Humax firmware. I'm pretty sure that af123 and raydon are capable of doing that, although I also think that there is enough information in that hummy.tv thread for anyone else sufficiently adept at such stuff to be able to work out how to do it.

ejstubbs

Novice Member
i have a network connection - but not really played with the FTP part - FTP is on - any instructions on what to do to copy via that method ?
  1. Find the IP address of the Humax from the Internet bit of the System menu
  2. Point your FTP utility at that IP address, username "humaxftp" password "0000"
  3. Use your FTP utility to move files back and forth between you computer and the Humax (I use Filezilla which is 'drag and drop', your FTP utility may be different)

JeffD

Hi

That is if you don't have a network connection to FTP off the MHT file for modification.

With USB

First Copy to USB is encrypted and includes the MHT file.
Modify MHT file with Foxy Util
Copy back to HDR to get Clear HD file.
Then copy Back again to USB for a Clear Archive Copy.

Pete
Pete, have you checked whether it possible to this with the DS recordings? I am assuming the DS recordings generate the same files as the Humax since they use the same Broadcom SoC, might have a look later if you don't beat me to it.

brookheather

From a PC you can just enter this address in Windows Explorer and you will be able to browse the files, copy them etc:

ftp://humaxftp:[email protected]

Just replace X.X.X.X with your Humax IP address.

- Simon.

etaf

Novice Member
Find the IP address of the Humax from the Internet bit of the System menu
Point your FTP utility at that IP address, username "humaxftp" password "0000"
Use your FTP utility to move files back and forth between you computer and the Humax (I use Filezilla which is 'drag and drop', your FTP utility may be different)
excellent - thank you - copying the files now

(if you just FTP the .ts file straight off the HDD without doing the copy to & from USB/virtual disc then you will still get an encrypted recording).
so using FTP and the utility , will not give a usable file - it sill needs to be copied back - can it be copied back FTP or does the USB transfer have to be done

petrev

It's an htm file, not mht!

Copying back from USB to the HDR does not give you an HD recording in the clear, it just gives you an HD recording without the "Enc" flag set. It's that detail which means that the HDR will decrypt the HD recording the next time you copy it to USB.

The Foxy utility and the htm utility on the Humax don't modify the HD recording (ie the .ts file) at all, they just turn off the "Enc" flag in the associated htm file. If you use the FTP method then the htm file is the only one you need to manipulate before copying the HD recording to USB or to the virtual disc to get it in clear (if you just FTP the .ts file straight off the HDD without doing the copy to & from USB/virtual disc then you will still get an encrypted recording).

So clearing the "Enc" flag 'fools' the Humax in to decrypting the recording when it copies it. The decryption code hasn't been hacked, just the flag which tells the box whether or not to run it. Hacking the actual decryption code would likely involve making unauthorised use of the crypto keys on the Humax, which would be much more dubious.

(And in case anyone missed the edit of my earlier post: I was being an idiot not noticing the posts on the hummy.tv thread about the issues that some folks have found with the htm utility running on the Humax BUT a later poster appears to have clarified the right way to use it.)
Dyslexia Lures
;)

ps. It's HMT apparently

Last edited:

petrev

Pete, have you checked whether it possible to this with the DS recordings? I am assuming the DS recordings generate the same files as the Humax since they use the same Broadcom SoC, might have a look later if you don't beat me to it.
Hi Jeff

The DS doesn't encrypt SD on the HDD so there is no need to Decrypt when copying to USB.

There is a little spoof that can be done with the DS . . .

When you are in 3.57 there is no encryption but you can't copy HD off to USB - But ! ! ! 4.0x+ will copy off HDD. Get the idea ?

Cheers
Pete

ejstubbs

Novice Member
so using FTP and the utility , will not give a usable file - it sill needs to be copied back - can it be copied back FTP or does the USB transfer have to be done
You have to transfer it to USB. (Or, if you have installed af123's modified hdf file and followed the instructions at hummypkg.org.uk, you can copy it to a virtual hard disc on the Humax itself.) But it's the act of copying using the Media functions on the Humax itself that results in the file being decrypted. So, unfortunately, there is always a step in the process which requires you to be sat in front of the Humax with remote control in hand.

Note that even an SD recording copied off the Humax using FTP will be encrypted. You have to copy it to another locally-connected drive on the Humax (ie USB or virtual) to get it decrypted. But you don't have to tweak the "Enc" flag to fool the Humax into doing it since SD recordings don't have the "Enc" flag set in the first place.

petrev

I know that, what I'm interested in is the HD recordings as I hardly ever make any SD recordings. Just wondered if the Humax USB method linked to above or something similar could be used on the DS to get unencrypted HD files.
Hi Jeff,

Because the Humax encrypts everything as it records to HDD then to allow SD Clear Archives they have to have a De-Crypt function for this - The DS doesn't have any need to De-Crypt except internally when playing back HD. There may not be a method implemented for copying and decrypting !

The DS TitleName.trp folder contains 4 files - TitleName.trp, TitleName.idx, recording.pif, and recording.pif~

Like I said you can record HD Clear under 3.57 and then export under 4.0x+ (menu Method Application-Only Up/Down-Date !)

Cheers
Pete

robber789

Novice Member
Anybody who is, like me, waiting for Humax to implement the DLNA streaming functionality might consider going for the 3view instead.

I've been waiting the best part of 9 months now and was feeling totally hacked off, so i bought a 3view - streams to my bedroom media player a treat...

The Humax is a slightly more polished PVR than the 3view, but that's all it is - a PVR. Forget the rest.

rob

robber789

Novice Member
Well, thanks guys - I've managed to stumble my way, using Filezilla, to establishing a connection with the Humax.

This is the first time I've ever used ftp, so i'm quite pleased with myself :)

A couple of ftp-newbie questions -

1. how do I get the files off the box?
2. Will they be HD files, hence unviewable on anything except the Humas?

rob

P.S. I had to enable the ftp server on the Humax, it's disabled by defaulr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending threads

Latest news

Disney+ hits 10 million subscribers after first 24 hours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp unveils 30-inch rollable OLED TV
  • By Andy Bassett