Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalifire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Who else has ordered one these? I'm currently waiting for mine to be shipped out - expected within two weeks now.

Order from Very through Quidco and get 10% off (first order) and a further 8% off that. It brings the total cost from £329 down to under £250. Good until 17th August.

This will replace my ageing 9200T and although the HD channels are limited, I'll greatly enjoy the new EPG, the new box and the networking functions.

Looking forward to the delivery!!

Yep, also got one on order through very.co.uk! Used topcashback rather than quidco however.

Who else has ordered one these? I'm currently waiting for mine to be shipped out - expected within two weeks now.

Order from Very through Quidco and get 10% off (first order) and a further 8% off that. It brings the total cost from £329 down to under £250. Good until 17th August.

This will replace my ageing 9200T and although the HD channels are limited, I'll greatly enjoy the new EPG, the new box and the networking functions.

Looking forward to the delivery!!

Hi kalifire

That looks tempting particularly after reading the Techradar review.

You mention 10% off your first order but I can only see a 10% off if you open a Very Credit Account.

Is this the 10% off you are referring to?

If so, is there any financial penalty if you pay it off in full as soon as you get the bill and don't use it again or cancel the Credit Account?

Have you found a link to the User Manual?

You mention 10% off your first order but I can only see a 10% off if you open a Very Credit Account.

Is this the 10% off you are referring to?

Nope - there is also a code to obtain 10% off your first order if you pay outright. The code is XX829 (expires 17/8). Don't forget Quidco for a further 8% off too.

Have you found a link to the User Manual

Not yet!

I ordered mine from Humax Direct, and I got this email today:
Humax Direct said:
Dear Customer,

We have just received notification that the HDR-FOX T2 units are due to arrive into our distribution centre at some point today (Tuesday 10th August).

Dependent on the time of arrival we will call you either today, or tomorrow (Wednesday the 11th) to arrange for forward delivery to your requested delivery address.

Best regards,

HumaxDirect Customer Services

I'm looking forward to getting the box, and info will appear on my wiki: http://hdr-foxt2.wikispaces.com

Hi

Well I've just ordered one as it is now in stock with Humax Direct and people are being told they are going out tomorrow (Wednesday) for delivery Thursday.

The boxes have been BETA tested by people in the UK and it can't be any worse than the Philips/Pace.

After saying I'd never buy another Humax product again, I have, well done Humax :clap: This is because they fixed the 9200T eventually and added EPG caching and I've had no complaints from the family since, and it has been working just fine now and so is back in full-time service.

What swung it for me:

1) Autopadding only disables (in)accurate recording while still getting the other Freeview features such as series link.

2) Dolby Digital Pulse, so transcoding is built in and working well by all accounts. Dolby Pulse = transcoding as it is part of the standard and covers all possible broadcast audio standards we are likely to see.

3) The interface looks very good and nice to use. Should already be familiar to me and the family.

4) Media networking built in and confirmed to have other on demand portals later.

Regards

Phil

Hi

Well I've just ordered one as it is now in stock with Humax Direct and people are being told they are going out tomorrow (Wednesday) for delivery Thursday.

The boxes have been BETA tested by people in the UK and it can't be any worse than the Philips/Pace.

...I better clear some space in the thread :D

Cross-posted as not sure where to put stuff these days on AVF ;-)....

Great to see that some of you people are getting your boxes.
I'd love to hear what you think of the "amstrad style~retro display"

I'll definitely be getting one of these in the next few weeks (assuming the likes of JL get them soon). Nope, I don't fancy risking the "Very" on line route as a: Very/littlewoods have some pretty awful customer feedback on the net and b: JL is always a safe bet for returns (as I found with the rubbish Pace/Philips box.)
I'd rather pay a bit more and have the peace of mind with easy returns etc.

Anyway, my real point ..... At "probably" over 300 quid, I'd want good build quality and yes, aesthetics..... as I've probably got to look at the little blighter for several years.
IMHO previous Humax's have been well constructed with a reasonable eye on design and usually good reliability/functionality... eventually.

I've been struggling for many months to understand why Humax have opted for the Red LED design (aren't people already bored with the 80's revival in everything else we consume?)

Oh but wait.... I've just spotted on the downloadable sales pdf.... that in fact, is a "Red VFD". Now that could prove interesting. Gotta be better than a Red 7-segment jobbie that I feared !

I realise it's a personal thing but what do you new owners (tomorrow), think of the display?

Cheers guys

I must say the box is very sleek and slick :)

Physically it looks great, sitting against my FOXSAT-HDR, it makes this box look old and dated (even though it isn't). The box is nicely curved and the smooth simplistic front fascia is very pleasing to the eye.

The red VFD display is not as bad as I had been expecting. Instead of an unreadable annoying red text, it is quite in-offensive and pleasant on the eye and just looks classy!

There is a cute USB flap in the right hand corner - from the TechRadar review, I was expecting a hard flap like on the FOXSAT-HDR or 9200T, and not looking at the picture closely, it turns out to be a rubber-ish camera type port cover over the USB port.

Yes physically, it does look like it's price tag of £329.

That's excellent news son_t. Many thanks for feeding-back so quickly.

Has certainly put my mind at rest.

No problem... All the details about this box will appear on my wiki, but I will try to answer questions here (if people have any ;))...

Here's the first pic of the box in my 'stack' :thumbsup:

hdrhdr-t2antecmax.jpg

You sound very excited son_t
Looking forward to your review of this unit. Fingers crossed that it will be bug free. Perhaps you could do a pros and cons for us or anything that knocks you out about the unit.:smashin:

son_t ... erm.... your Humax boxes look bent/warped !!

Suggest you've got a massive heat problem :D

Yeah yeah, I know.... it's the camera.

Pleased with the HDR so far?

Yes, it is a shiny new toy and does not disappoint :clap:

UI looks great and responds much better than the FOXSAT-HDR and a lot better than the 9200T (I can finally put this box in the attic!).

It is a shame that I can't get the HD channels until the 18th...

No problem... All the details about this box will appear on my wiki, but I will try to answer questions here (if people have any ;))...

Here's the first pic of the box in my 'stack' :thumbsup:

hdrhdr-t2antecmax.jpg

Hi son_t

What are your initial impressions of the box?

How quiet/noisy is the Humax in general and compared with other boxes e.g Philips/Pace, Digital Stream, Humax 9200T etc.?

Any surprises so far, good or bad?

More photos, including screen shots, would be good as I still cannot find a link to the User Manual for viewing or download.

Can you provide a link to your wiki please?

Good news, thus far! Looks positive.

Just had a look at the connections at the back, how do you connect this to your HT system? Does the HDMI carry the audio signal? Didn't see a digital optical/coaxial on it.

Just had a look at the connections at the back, how do you connect this to your HT system? Does the HDMI carry the audio signal? Didn't see a digital optical/coaxial on it.

Hi dartilov

I do not have the new Humax box yet but you should find the digital optical output between antenna out and HDMI. It is marked as SPDF.

Hi son_t

What are your initial impressions of the box?
Very good. It's stable. Dual records without a hitch. You can watch a third while recording two others. Fast responses to everything... UI is very slick and pleasing on the eye.

How quiet/noisy is the Humax in general and compared with other boxes e.g Philips/Pace, Digital Stream, Humax 9200T etc.?
I've only had the Tesco Technika (Fetch TV) box, and this compared to that box is definitely more than £130 difference. The HDR-T2 feels like a completed product that utterly reliable.

Any surprises so far, good or bad?
Having been used to the FOXSAT-HDR, there are some slight niggles for me personally, because either this box behaves slightly different or does not have some of the features of the FOXSAT. But these are small and will not matter to those who have not gotten used to the FOXSAT.

More photos, including screen shots, would be good as I still cannot find a link to the User Manual for viewing or download.

Can you provide a link to your wiki please?
Have not updated my wiki yet, as having to work is getting in the way... but it is http://hdr-foxt2.wikispaces.com

It has everything you would want/expect:
hdr-t2-back.jpg

CI+ slot, aerial in, loop though, optical, HDMI, LAN, USB, SCART, Video + L/R audio phonos, fan grill, power rocker.

I have the S/PDIF connected to my AVR directly, with HDMI to TV. The box is very quiet (I think, because when I put my ear to the box, it is the FOXSAT-HDR, I'm hearing.)

Hmmm - First Impressions.

The reflections in the Front Panel of the FOXSAT look less distorted but have a Blue cast.

The colour rendering of the FOXT2 front panel reflection is more natural !

:D

Can't wait for the review . . .

Yes, the FOXSAT-HDR does have a slight blue tinge. Do you notice how dated the 'square' look of the FOXSAT looks compared to the slight curves of the HDR-T2?

Hi Son T

How are the SD pictures?
Does the manual cover transferring recordings to an external drive?

It has everything you would want/expect:
hdr-t2-back.jpg

CI+ slot, aerial in, loop though, optical, HDMI, LAN, USB, SCART, Video + L/R audio phonos, fan grill, power rocker.

I have the S/PDIF connected to my AVR directly, with HDMI to TV. The box is very quiet (I think, because when I put my ear to the box, it is the FOXSAT-HDR, I'm hearing.)

Yes, it was obvious, doh! Regarding connection, I have my Sony BDVE-300 connected to my tv via optical, the only one it has. So would I need to put a "splitter" onto the back of the tv and then optical to the Humax/BDVE-300 and obviously, HDMI to the TV?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom