Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Four]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzlingdaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part Three of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Four.

For reference,

Part One can be found here.

Part Two can be found here.

Part Three
Can be found here.

Thank you.

Hi

Work is being done on this aspect by Humax, although personally I haven't managed to ever make it crash over the network, however I seen a few reports saying similar. Sometimes you just don't know there are issues until it is tested in a wider setting. If you haven't already I would send Humax an email [email protected] with the issues you are having and what circumstances cause it to crash.

Are you on the latest firmware 1.01.09, this has some improvements in this area over prior versions, but more needs to be done so hopefully improvements in the next release which should be in December.

Regards

Phil

I have had it crash a couple of times on me - usually if you are streaming and fast forward and rewind in quick succession.

Another way of causing it seems to be play a recording - stop it - and then start antoher one in quickly.

It's almost as if the change in stream position of the file or requiring of a new file causes the sync to get confused.

This seems to result in the box resetting.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it may be fixed in the December update as this seems more related to getting the TVportal up and running - which isnt such a bad thing.

We are aiming to get an update out within the first 2 weeks of December, but it is not possible at this time to confirm a date. More than likely it will be released as a Beta prior to the official release.

I also asked about where to send requests / problems to:

Any requests should just be sent into [email protected], however, not wanting to disappoint but there will not be any major/significant changes to the product other than those already planned and obviously any major issues found in the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone set a manual recording?

It really fustrates me as I can't extend the recording and enter my own amount of minutes that I want to extend it by, the pvr only allows you to add ten minutes, which is not very helpful if you are recording a second programme which starts five minutes after the original recording.

Unless I've missed something.

Well I have fed it back to them with all the other suggestions from here and the guys from the tech team do read this forum as well.

So just speculation then??

No doubt they read this forum and lets hope they read their emails as well but unless they've told you they are working on this where are you getting your information from?

So just speculation then??

No doubt they read this forum and lets hope they read their emails as well but unless they've told you they are working on this where are you getting your information from?

Not speculation - I have been emailing a member of their technical team directly who is also sending me the beta firmware to test before it goes on general release.

Not speculation - I have been emailing a member of their technical team directly who is also sending me the beta firmware to test before it goes on general release.

Fair enough, and if this is what he's told you then I look forward to it!

Hi

Has anyone set a manual recording?

It really fustrates me as I can't extend the recording and enter my own amount of minutes that I want to extend it by, the pvr only allows you to add ten minutes, which is not very helpful if you are recording a second programme which starts five minutes after the original recording.

Unless I've missed something.

Is there a reason you need to enter a manual recording rather than just select the program in the guide?

If you mean you are watching a program then decide to record it instantly, you get an option to extend it to the end of the current program or the end of the next one, I think you press the record button twice for this option from memory. I only found this out by playing around with it.

The other option would to record the current program, then pop into the guide and set the next one to record rather than trying to extend the recording time.

Regards

Phil

Hi
Just a quick question about the portal. I down load some programmes we don't get here and transfer them via usb stick, when the portal arrives will I be able to put them straight on the pvr and miss out the usb bit.
Cheers
Jimmbo

Hi
Just a quick question about the portal. I down load some programmes we don't get here and transfer them via usb stick, when the portal arrives will I be able to put them straight on the pvr and miss out the usb bit.
Cheers
Jimmbo

If you mean that you currently download from an internet source as an AVI or MPEG then no.

If you mean watch them via a catch up service such a iPlayer or youtube then yes.

However if you download them currently and have your Humax linked up to the network as well as your PC - there is no reason that you cannot install TVersity onto your PC and then the PC will stream whatever you download directly to the Humax - and that works already - and saves you messing around with any USB sticks

If you mean that you currently download from an internet source as an AVI or MPEG then no.

If you mean watch them via a catch up service such a iPlayer or youtube then yes.

However if you download them currently and have your Humax linked up to the network as well as your PC - there is no reason that you cannot install TVersity onto your PC and then the PC will stream whatever you download directly to the Humax - and that works already - and saves you messing around with any USB sticks

Hi
Thanks for your reply
The first part of your answer is what I do.

The third part is what I need to do. Not a clue how to, but I know how I am going to pass the weekend now.
I have a laptop and a desk top and the humax plugged into the router.
Will it be straight forward?
Jimmbo

Hi
Thanks for your reply
The first part of your answer is what I do.

The third part is what I need to do. Not a clue how to, but I know how I am going to pass the weekend now.
I have a laptop and a desk top and the humax plugged into the router.
Will it be straight forward?
Jimmbo

Very.

Just download and install TVersity (its free).
Select Library from the top menu and select folders from the left hand side. Now push + Add item at the top and browse to the folder you want to "share" and make sure all your downloaded bits are in there.
On the Humax press your media button and then the blue button
Select Network and your TVersity server will appear - select it
After a few seconds a Windows explorer type tree will appear with your folders contents listed....select folders and natviaget to what you want to play.

And the best bit is that there is an option you can turn on in TVersity called "transcoding" which means that even if your file is in an unsupported format for the Humax - TVersisty will try to re-encode it in real time to allow you to watch it

Last edited:
Very.

Just download and install TVersity (its free).
Select Library from the top menu and select folders from the left hand side. Now push + Add item at the top and browse to the folder you want to "share" and make sure all your downloaded bits are in there.
On the Humax press your media button and then the blue button
Select Network and your TVersity server will appear - select it
After a few seconds a Windows explorer type tree will appear with your folders contents listed....select folders and natviaget to what you want to play.

And the best bit is that there is an option you can turn on in TVersity called "transcoding" which means that even if your file is in an unsupported format for the Humax - TVersisty will try to re-encode it in real time to allow you to watch it

Thanks for that it sounds awesome
I will give it a go
My desktop is in another room and hooked up with a d link, will it work the same way with that one too
cheers

Thanks for that it sounds awesome
I will give it a go
My desktop is in another room and hooked up with a d link, will it work the same way with that one too
cheers

So long as all the network wires (1 from the Humax and 1 from the Desktop PC) come back to the router you wont have any issues.

The router will take care of assigning IP addresses and such like - and since the Humax does a scan of the network to locate DLNA servers (your TVersity server running on windows) it should pick it up straight away.

The only issue you might run into is allowing TVersity to talk over the network if you have a firewall installed.

Best way to test this - is just set it all up and see if it works - if it does great, otherwsie disable your firewall totally for a short time and then test again - this normally works - and once you have turned your firewall back on - you will need to allow TVersity through the firewall which is also a simple process I can talk you through should you need it.

So long as all the network wires (1 from the Humax and 1 from the Desktop PC) come back to the router you wont have any issues.

The router will take care of assigning IP addresses and such like - and since the Humax does a scan of the network to locate DLNA servers (your TVersity server running on windows) it should pick it up straight away.

The only issue you might run into is allowing TVersity to talk over the network if you have a firewall installed.

Best way to test this - is just set it all up and see if it works - if it does great, otherwsie disable your firewall totally for a short time and then test again - this normally works - and once you have turned your firewall back on - you will need to allow TVersity through the firewall which is also a simple process I can talk you through should you need it.

Thank you
I will probably need to call on you.

I am not sure what you mean by wires.
My set up is
Virgin broadband with HD box and all wires start there,
I have ethernet to Humax
D link to desk top
laptop is wire less too
Does that sound ok
cheers

Thank you
I will probably need to call on you.

I am not sure what you mean by wires.
My set up is
Virgin broadband with HD box and all wires start there,
I have ethernet to Humax
D link to desk top
laptop is wire less too
Does that sound ok
cheers

Yeah thats fine - I use "wires" loosely - basically so long as everything is all connected to the same router its simple.

It gets complicated if you have a router setup that needs bridges or you have multiple circuits like I have - I have 4 different ADSL lines coming into a multiplexor which is then split into 3 different circuits via routers to keep my web servers seperate from the rest of my internet traffic - but I also bridge the connections so my internal devices can all see eachother.......sigh....networking does my head in sometimes!

Yeah thats fine - I use "wires" loosely - basically so long as everything is all connected to the same router its simple.

It gets complicated if you have a router setup that needs bridges or you have multiple circuits like I have - I have 4 different ADSL lines coming into a multiplexor which is then split into 3 different circuits via routers to keep my web servers seperate from the rest of my internet traffic - but I also bridge the connections so my internal devices can all see eachother.......sigh....networking does my head in sometimes!

Cheers
I am so glad mine is simple.
I will download what I can now and have a go in ernest at the weekend

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with editing the .ts files from the fox and putting them back on?

Essentially we record loads of kids TV shows that our son likes, so I want to copy them off, trim the crud from the start/end, then put them back.

I know I could re-encode as a different format but that seems like a waste of time and quality.

I've tried various combinations of MPEG Video Wizard, AV2HDR, HDTVtoMPEG2 and m2tstots. I can get watchable video out - but I can't get something that I can fast forward / rewind (and that shows up in the count of videos in the folder).

I feel like AV2HDR is the closest but the metadata files stop the video from showing up - I guess they're tuned to the foxsat. Deleting the metadata lets the file play but again without ff/rw.

Sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched to the best of my abilities but have still come up with nothing.

Thanks!

Hi
All done MAGIC:clap:

just amazing I am so glad I changed to this box.
Ain't life grand:devil:
thanks once again

Glad to be of assistance - remember once the TV Portal comes online you'll be able to also use your current setup without any changes to view youtube vids and access iplayer as well.

Glad to be of assistance - remember once the TV Portal comes online you'll be able to also use your current setup without any changes to view youtube vids and access iplayer as well.

A friend of mine put me on to utorrents and I was wondering how I was going to store some old movies that I might want to see again with this set up now it will be a breeze.
Jimmbo

A friend of mine put me on to utorrents and I was wondering how I was going to store some old movies that I might want to see again with this set up now it will be a breeze.
Jimmbo

One thing to note - if you add new files into TVersity - be sure to hit the refresh (recycle style) logo on the top left of the main screen so it rescans the folder and adds the new files into the shared list - otherwise they may not appear on the Humax

One thing to note - if you add new files into TVersity - be sure to hit the refresh (recycle style) logo on the top left of the main screen so it rescans the folder and adds the new files into the shared list - otherwise they may not appear on the Humax

Will do
I see I can get my music as well does it get any better

Moderator Comment.

This thread is now into it's fourth part.

Here is a link back to Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom