Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Eleven]

Thanks 4 the replies guys. Owen, I'm quite happy with the downscaling to 576i, I just wanted to find out if anyody had actually used the SCART socket in this way.

Re: the PC option, it's just a lot more faffing about to put a TV program on a USB stick, plug it into the PC, edit it & finally burn a DVD especially as I always have to reread the instruction on how to author a DVD as I do it so rarely on th PC. On the Sony DVD recorder I've created many DVDs so I'm up to speed & it would already be plugged into the Humax so no need to mess about with USBs.

Black Hole, I hate to disagree with you as you've put an enormous amount of time & work into various tutorials & it's very much appreciated. However, page 35 of the Humax manual states that "Chapters are made by dividing the recorded programme into eight portions", I just wanted to find out if there was an option in the bowels of the Humax options pages to change chaptering to happen when there's a change of scene as you can do with my Sony as it make ad skipping a breeze. Of course, I can always fall back on your method outlined in part 15 of your "tips & tricks".

Two final questions, I notice in page 70 in the Appendix it mentions that the slow motion button can be used for slow motion & for "step". Does this mean you can step forward frame by frame using this button? Call me sad but I often use this feature on the Sony to see if a footie player was really offside or was that tennis ball in or out. :~]

Also has anyone bought a "graded" machine from humax direct? Just wondered what your experience was.

Last edited:

ejstubbs

Novice Member
...trying to find out if anyone's connected a DVD/HDD recorder to the SCART ouput & successfully recorded HD content onto another machine?
I have in the past recorded HD programmes via SCART to DVD-R on a Panasonic DVD recorder. So yes, it does work. Of course the SCART output is in SD, not HD.

(I still keep this as a fallback if the assemblage of video-fiddling tools on my Mac refuses to do anything useful with recordings FTPed off the Humax.)

Black Hole

I don't have my manual to hand, and the on-line PDF seems to have gone, but as far as I know "chapters" are not implemented. Re slow motion, the slow-mo button plays video at 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 speed, but there is no option to step through frame by frame. As an additional annoyance, bookmarks can only be set with the video playing normally, so they are a bit hit-and-miss.

Don't put your faith in a manual that was written (probably) before the product was released for sale, when the regular members here have nearly 3 years experience with the machine.

Humax reconditioned units are fine, better (and often cheaper) than buying second-hand on eBay.

Last edited:

lat1010

Novice Member
Humax reconditioned units are fine, better (and often cheaper) than buying second-hand on eBay.
I've just purchased a grade A 1tb from humax. Works fine but has an awful clicking noise every time you change channel (or use the remote!) as well as every few seconds whilsts watching a program, constantly! Can't hear any fan noises just sounds like hard drive clicking). I have reformatted and gone back to factory settings however problem persists.
Is this a common fault?

Perhaps I should exchange for a grade a 500gb? Any advice/knowledge welcome

lat1010

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies etaf and Pete. They wouldn't swap it for a 500gb (will need refund etc) so are now swapping it out in Monday with an hour time slot. Good service I've received from them so far.

Btw the clicks haven't stopped. Lol!

Thanks again for all the useful input here. I should've known better than to doubt the dark one. ;~}

I went ahead & ordered a graded 500G & sure enough, no chapters! Bookmarks aren't exactly accurate either but they'll suffice & the variable speed slow mo works fine, tho' frame step would've been great. Thanks ej, everything successfully connected now & the Scart lead works a treat to the HDD/DVD recorder I have, as does the internet..... & the internet radio function is fab. All this & great picture quality!

Hope you get your problems sorted lat, hard disk clicking is not a sound you want to hear.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I've owned my 1Tb Fox-T2 for a couple of years, which is frequently used.

During that time it has operated flawlessly - without any clicking.

lat1010

Novice Member
Received replacement 1 tb today. Totally silent on watching freeview unlike previous box but when it's recording its another matter. Constant clicking from hard drive and loud too!! It should be silent I believe...

I'm returning this one and will have to get a refund then will try a 500gb version, third time lucky!!!

Owen Smith

Received replacement 1 tb today. Totally silent on watching freeview unlike previous box but when it's recording its another matter. Constant clicking from hard drive and loud too!! It should be silent I believe...

I'm returning this one and will have to get a refund then will try a 500gb version, third time lucky!!!
Many people have reported the 1TB HDR Fox T2s as having a noisy hard disc and/or being unreliable. I wouldn't touch one if you paid me. The 500GB version is much safer bet based on all the evidence from this forum.

lat1010

Novice Member
Received graded 500gb today (box looked like it had been thrown in the van)!
Actual humax box is great, silent, no clicking. Had July 2012 firmware on it and loaded the latest via USB. Only problem was receiving a used remote control, batteries weren't working in it and it had what appeared to be coca cola or such like all over it as well as Sellotape marks on the back! It was filthy. Previous remote with 1tb was brand new.

Credit to Humax, I phoned them and they apologised and will send a new remote out in the morning and told me to do what I want with the current one I have.

Oyster24

Can anyone advise me please? I have been given the chance to buy one of these Humax. Is this a good price? I am thinking of ditching the BT Vision Box and getting the Humax. I would be saving £5 a month without the V box and as we only use it to record it seems a waste. Any comments?

Also does it have the HDMI connection?

Last edited:

Black Hole

£129 for a 500GB grade A refurb? That's bite-your-hand-off money (I think they used to be £169). I might even buy another for that price!

Of course it is HDMI. There is no other way of getting HiDef broadcasts or recordings to the TV (except SCART, but being analogue 576 lines cannot be described as HiDef!).

We all think this is the best PVR out there (especially with custom firmware fitted). The manual is no longer available on line, but access can be provided if required. You might like to read Tips & Tricks.

Last edited:

Oyster24

Thanks for your post and encouragement. I think I will get one as you are obviously impressed with the price.

etaf

Novice Member
i would think thats an excellent price usually the grade A stuff from humax is good - I have purchased a few grade A items in the past for friends and family and they have been fine. I'm trying to get my mother-in-law to buy one of the SD machines to replace a faulty humax, but she wants new .......

The machine is ideal and i have played with a Panasonic recently and still prefer the ease of use of the humax

Oyster24

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Humax. Delivery is on Tuesday next but I had to pay an extra £6 because we live on the Isle of Wight! Nice place but expensive sometimes.

etaf

Novice Member
you will have three transmitters in the area and so may pick up a few 800 channels and its possible the humax tunes to the weaker signal.
I know I have to play around over the water @ whittering with a couple of units as i have a couple of family on/near the coast there, both with the older SD versions 9200.
however, it maybe different on the island and of course where on the island you are

Oyster24

I live only three miles or so from the twin transmitters at Rowridge and not all that far from Chillerton.

I'm sure you won't regret your decision Oyster, I bought a graded 500G machine last week & am really pleased with it & also think it's at a bite-your-hand-off price. I think lat was very unlucky with his experience as my machine was as new...... even the remote! Glad etaf put up the link for the manual as I found & went thru' it before I bought the machine. It can also be accessed here....... http://www.manualowl.com/p/Humax/HDR-FOXT2/Manual/111066.
As the dark one has mentioned, it's not 100% accurate, chapters appear not to be implemented but on the plus side, you can add more than the 4 bookmarks it mentions in the manual.
Also, it has a fantastic internet radio facility which is invaluable if you're tired of hearing the inane ramblings of so many terrestial DJs who appear to think they're Michael McIntyre. ;~}

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Trending threads

Latest News

NAD launches T 758 V3i surround sound receiver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky unveils next tranche of HDR content
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Acoustic Energy launches AE520 flagship speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney drops all 20th Century Fox branding