Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Eight]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavtech

Administrator
Reaction score
Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part Seven of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Eight.

For reference,

Part One can be found here.

Part Two can be found here.

Part Three
can be found here.

Part Four can be found here.

Part Five can be found here.

Part Six can be found here.

Part Seven can be found here.

Thank you.

Just to clarify my post #959 in PART SEVEN:

"This seems be an on-going effect, i.e. the (PVR) functionality does NOT return by itself."

(Posted before I double-checked what I'd written.)

I can confirm that this bug is repeatable even with two digit channels, e.g. whilst on channel 13 with pause and re-wind fully working, entering '1' '3' in quick sucession will stop pause and rewind working until another channel is switched to

First Post In This Thread. Have had my Humax HDR Fox-t2 for a little over a week now and well must say I'm quite happy.

One or two things confuse me though and while I've scanned various threads I've not come across this particular question, and it is so basic I know it must be there somewhere

:lease: can I organize the channels in the order I want them, or am I stuck with how they come up on the guide?

I appreciate that I can use favourites but I don't really want to go down that road. If I have to go down the road of favourites how many channels can I put into one favourite list?

There really is a lot of reading in this thread, glad I found it.

Kevin

One or two things confuse me though and while I've scanned various threads I've not come across this particular question, and it is so basic I know it must be there somewhere

:lease: can I organize the channels in the order I want them, or am I stuck with how they come up on the guide?

I appreciate that I can use favourites but I don't really want to go down that road. If I have to go down the road of favourites how many channels can I put into one favourite list?

There really is a lot of reading in this thread, glad I found it.

Kevin
Favourites is the way to go.

Put all the channels you want in the main favourites list, change the guide to that list and select a channel, and the box will default to that list each time it is switched on. They appear in the order that you added them to the list, but you can re-order them afterwards if you wish.

I don't think there's an upper limit to the lists, but I might be wrong. I've got 40 in mine.

Not sure what you've got against favourites, but once it's set up there's no real difference from re-ordering the tuner's default list (marked "TV").

I can confirm that this bug is repeatable even with two digit channels, e.g. whilst on channel 13 with pause and re-wind fully working, entering '1' '3' in quick sucession will stop pause and rewind working until another channel is switched to

Aha, so it is a bug that is repeatable and follows logical progression.

We should all be paid, us testers. Do you think Humax will comply? :D

Fear maybe :D :blush: But, sure, I'll give it a go and see what happens
Just one more tip - once you've got it set how you want it, use a digital camera to photograph each page of the favourites list(s). If you have to re-tune, it loses the lists, so it makes it a bit easier to set up again.

Aha, so it is a bug that is repeatable and follows logical progression.

I suppose Humax could call it a 'Feature' rather than a bug, The ability to force live viewing, It would be good to find out exactly what is happening. I can add a bit more info. If in live mode, entering the same channel No. that you are on will lock it into live (with no pause or re-wind), BUT if you are on chase-play (after a pause-play), then entering the same channel No. will force a jump to Live viewing and pause/re-wind will still work.

I have just purchased my Fox T2 and am very happy with it. I do have some questions and a proposal, though.

1. My TV has a maximum resolution of 1080i. Should I set the Fox T2 resolution to this (using V-Format)?

2. Do I need to connect a digital lead from the Fox T2 directly to my Receiver? Surely HDMI carries digital audio, doesn't it? The TV audio output is connected to the receiver at the moment, so I'm definitely getting sound from the hifi speakers, now.

3. My software is 1.02.07 I tried a Software Update but it didn't find anything. Is 1.02.20 just a beta release or should my T2 be able to find it?

Finally, these threads (1 to 8) have an enormous amount of information in them, but they take a very long time to read. I wonder if one of the very knowledgeable members would consider producing a summary posting of all recommendations for the T2 (e.g. the "wake up and turn off to update the EPG" work round, what resolution to set the T2 to etc) and getting it put on the PVR forum as a sticky?

Thanks in anticipation
Undecided (no longer)

PS : Where can the hierarchy of 'seniority' be found? Is a Senior Member higher ranked than a Prominent Member or a Conspicuous Member etc?

Hi

I have just purchased my Fox T2 and am very happy with it. I do have some questions and a proposal, though.

1. My TV has a maximum resolution of 1080i. Should I set the Fox T2 resolution to this (using V-Format)?

Yes, set it to 1080i/50, that is fine.

2. Do I need to connect a digital lead from the Fox T2 directly to my Receiver? Surely HDMI carries digital audio, doesn't it? The TV audio output is connected to the receiver at the moment, so I'm definitely getting sound from the hifi speakers, now.

HDMI carries the audio as well so no need for an optical cable if the HDMI is being routed to your amplifier.

3. My software is 1.02.07 I tried a Software Update but it didn't find anything. Is 1.02.20 just a beta release or should my T2 be able to find it?

There is limited space so updates are only transmitted for a couple of weeks at a time, eventually they will be repeated. The latest version isn't a beta, even though the website says beta updates they are more often not betas, yes your box can handle it and will get that version automatically given a few weeks anyway. You can get it quicker downloading to a USB stick if you like.

You can see when the update is transmitted here DTG :: DTT Receiver Downloads

Regards

Phil

I meant to ask in the resolution bit - if setting it to 1080i is the correct thing to do, what goes on when it's an SD broadcast at 576i? Does the TV have to do some 'stripping out' of content to reduce resolution?

Thanks
Undecided

Hi

I meant to ask in the resolution bit - if setting it to 1080i is the correct thing to do, what goes on when it's an SD broadcast at 576i? Does the TV have to do some 'stripping out' of content to reduce resolution?

Thanks
Undecided

Depends on the resolution of your TVs panel. Do you know if it is a full HD panel or half HD? Full HD is 1920x1080, anything less than that isn't full HD.

If your TV's panel isn't full HD, you might be better off selecting 720p, otherwise your SD footage is upscaled to a high resolution, only for the TV to discard all those pixel to downscale it again and this is quite a lossy process so you want to avoid that. HD with the 720p setting will be downscaled in the PVR (which would happen in your TV anyway) to 720p and will look the same.

So in theory it really depends on the actual number of pixels in the TV's panel, if it is 1920x1080, stick with 1080i, but if it is something less use 720p. You can always switch between them and see which you prefer as in practice you might not prefer the theoretical better setting.

Regards

Phil

Thanks
Undecided

Either the TV or the box will match the pixel count of the broadcast to the native tv pixel count. Any mismatch the TV will sort it out. Which is the best depends on the quality of the scaling quality of the TV versus the box.

Three basic principles

Avoid double scaling, especially scaling up (inventing detail not present) and then scaling down again.

Scaling down is easy, scaling up is much harder, simply because the scaler is working with data that is not present. A HD broadcast downscaled to fit a SD display will look a lot better because

Data is discarded not invented

The HD transmission will use more resources (bitrate) to avoid motion artefacts when downscaled you get a better SD picture.

Try any of the combinations, in the end what you prefer is the right one for you, :D

So my Humax 9200t is packing up, and Teh Mrs is moaning: this morning I was on the bog and shes yelling she can't get the TV (alone) to work. She just needs to press any number button, but it's been so long since she's used a basic just-only tv it's confusing her :rolleyes: So if anyone can answer a couple of quick questions for my state of mind itd be appreciated.
[/rant]

Is this HDR Fox-t2 essentially the replacement/upgrade to the 9200t?
Is the GUI/menus basically the same?
Is it woman friendly?
Is there a way to disable it showing period dramas and garden shows in the EPG?

What's the best PC program for viewing and editing the DB files?

Has anyone tried altering the LCD_DIMMING_FLAG?

So my Humax 9200t is packing up, and Teh Mrs is moaning: this morning I was on the bog and shes yelling she can't get the TV (alone) to work. She just needs to press any number button, but it's been so long since she's used a basic just-only tv it's confusing her :rolleyes: So if anyone can answer a couple of quick questions for my state of mind itd be appreciated.
[/rant]

Is this HDR Fox-t2 essentially the replacement/upgrade to the 9200t?
Is the GUI/menus basically the same?
Is it woman friendly?
Is there a way to disable it showing period dramas and garden shows in the EPG?

The HDR FOX T2 is Humax's high definition twin tuner pvr. Strictly speaking the SD only 9150 and 9300 models replaced the 9200.

Very similar but of course in HD on a suitable TV

If shmbo could use a 9200 then the HDR FOX T2 should be a doddle

Sadly not :mad:

I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but I do not have access to any 8 year old children that would quickly answer my question!

I've got MP3 music on a flash drive. I plug it in to the T2, the T2 sees it and lists all the tracks on the stick. I select one track (let's walk before we try to run) and press play (the right pointing arrow key). The screen clears except for a music logo with 00:00/02:29 underneath and the selected play mode (Once). The track is 2:29 long. Now, all that happens is that the logo bounces around the screen - the 00:00 never increments and I don't hear any music. I tried copying the track to the hard disk and playing it from there - same result.
I doing something wrong - can someone tell me what, please?

Thanks
Undecided :confused:

I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but I do not have access to any 8 year old children that would quickly answer my question!

I've got MP3 music on a flash drive. I plug it in to the T2, the T2 sees it and lists all the tracks on the stick. I select one track (let's walk before we try to run) and press play (the right pointing arrow key). The screen clears except for a music logo with 00:00/02:29 underneath and the selected play mode (Once). The track is 2:29 long. Now, all that happens is that the logo bounces around the screen - the 00:00 never increments and I don't hear any music. I tried copying the track to the hard disk and playing it from there - same result.

Thanks

I don't have a HDR FOX T2 but try pressing OK like you do to play back any recorded content.

Thanks

I've found a few mp3s that my Fox won't play - it doesn't say what the problem is and there's nothing obvious (nothing obvious to me anyway!) that explains why it plays others fine but not these. I thought it might be something obscure hidden in the id tags or something like that?

Have you tried playing other mp3 files? Any success with them?

Example MP3 file - plays fine on Winamp, silence on my Fox...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SVS9FJGT

Last edited:
I've got MP3 music on a flash drive....

try pressing OK

O.K. and the right arrow button will do the same job so that isn't your problem

I've found a few mp3s that my Fox won't play

Example MP3 file - plays fine on Winamp, silence on my Fox...

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I have tried to play the above Mighty Boosh sample above and it didn't play, The only difference I can see between my MP3's (that do play) and this one is the sample rate. Mine have a bit rate of 128 Kbps and a sample rate of 44.1Khz, this one has a bit rate of 128 Kbps and a sample rate of 32.0 Khz so it looks like the Humax is a bit picky about which sample rates it likes. By the way the one that didn't play still had a counting display with silence (not stuck at 00:00)

Last edited:
Hi, Ezra
Thanks for taking an interest. I've checked the files and they all are 128Kbps and a 44.1KHz sampling rate. I produced them using Nero - convert files on CD to another device.

Today, I tried displayig photos from the same USB stick. They work perfectly.

:confused: Undecided

Bought one, seems ok. HD dosent seem very high def... :rolleyes: I've actually turned the output down to 720p, which made it look better than the 1080i it was trying to send to my 1080p tv. Presumably the HD channels don't broadcast in 1080p?

It freezes whenever I use the "keyword search" which appears to be a firmware issue: so I guess I'll have to download it to USB or wait for an OTA update. What's the most stable firmware to go to?

Best bit is Teh Mrs managed (with instruction) to turn on the TV and pvr all by herself. Thank you Humax for restoring family bliss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom