• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Humax HDR Fox T2 and AC3

webstereo

Standard Member
The information on this forum and on other sites tells me the unit will transcode to Dolby Digital.
However, I called Humax and was told by the operator that if the broadcaster is not transmitting Dolby Digital then the box wont output it.
As far as I know no broadcaster outputs Dolby Digital so if he's right then surround wouldn't be possible from this box.
So, does anyone have one and can they conform one way or the other what the truth is please?

PhilipL

Prominent Member
Hi

The information on this forum and on other sites tells me the unit will transcode to Dolby Digital.
However, I called Humax and was told by the operator that if the broadcaster is not transmitting Dolby Digital then the box wont output it.
As far as I know no broadcaster outputs Dolby Digital so if he's right then surround wouldn't be possible from this box.
So, does anyone have one and can they conform one way or the other what the truth is please?

Correct, no Dolby Digital is broadcast on Freeview at this time, however the Humax HDR Fox T2 will transcode to Dolby 5.1 when surround sound (HE-AAC) is broadcast.

We listen to 5.1 surround sound when it's broadcast from the Humax delivered as Dolby Digital 5.1 over the optical cable, so it definitely does this :)

Regards

Phil

PhilipL

Prominent Member
Hi

You also get 5.1 over HDMI, as far as I know this is delivered as 5.1 PCM rather than Dolby Digital, someone else can confirm I'm sure. Dolby Digital is just a way of getting 5.1 over the optical cable, it isn't necessary for HDMI devices which are able to receive uncompressed 6 channels of audio.

Either way you get 5.1 surround sound.

Regards

Phil

petrev

Prominent Member
I wonder why the Humax guy doesn't know this?
Do you know if it works ok over HDMI?

Hi

You also get 5.1 over HDMI, as far as I know this is delivered as 5.1 PCM rather than Dolby Digital, someone else can confirm I'm sure. Dolby Digital is just a way of getting 5.1 over the optical cable, it isn't necessary for HDMI devices which are able to receive uncompressed 6 channels of audio.

Either way you get 5.1 surround sound.

Regards

Phil

Hi

5.1 is DD over HDMI - My Sony TV passed this through to SPDIF out and into my AVR that has no HDMI.

Cheers
Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom