• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Humax HDR and 19.2 set up

dave_angel

Standard Member
Hi all

I have been doing lots of searching and i think i know the answer to my question but wondered if someone can clarify before i purchase.

I know there are lots of threads here and on others that explain how you can not record something in freesat mode and watch something in non freesat mode at the same time.

But does this restriction extend to watching recorded programmes from the hard drive as well? ie could i watch a non freesat recorded programme whilst recording freesat or vice versa.

Simply put, does viewing your recorded material designate which mode the box goes into?

if there is the flexibility, then this box would be ideal for us. Otherwise i would look out for future boxes to see if they can offer more flexibility.

Thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The recordings are just that, the list is the same in either mode regardless of where they came from including imported material. So yes you can view anything you previously recorded whatever mode you are in.

logiciel

How does "19.2 setup" come in to this?
The Freesat channels are on 28.2/28.5.

dave_angel

Standard Member
How does "19.2 setup" come in to this?
The Freesat channels are on 28.2/28.5.

sorry - missed a bit out from the background - i would be having a set up with 28.2 and 19.2 on input 1 and 28.2 on input 2 like quite a few people do.

I know there are limitations with the recording on non freesat but the fact that there are no restrictions to your recorded material really does make the difference.

We have sky currently and pretty much never watch anything live and 95% is from the recorded material.

looks like this will do the job we want

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
sorry - missed a bit out from the background - i would be having a set up with 28.2 and 19.2 on input 1 and 28.2 on input 2 like quite a few people do.

I know there are limitations with the recording on non freesat but the fact that there are no restrictions to your recorded material really does make the difference.

We have sky currently and pretty much never watch anything live and 95% is from the recorded material.

looks like this will do the job we want

Even better if you have an input from each on both tuners. You can then record two from 19.2 and 28.2/28.5 in non freesat in any combination. The only problem is that recording has to be started manually. A programmeable universal remote with timed macros might be able to be used to start recording. I have a Phillips SBC RU 885 that can pull this off.

dave_angel

Standard Member
Even better if you have an input from each on both tuners. You can then record two from 19.2 and 28.2/28.5 in non freesat in any combination. The only problem is that recording has to be started manually. A programmeable universal remote with timed macros might be able to be used to start recording. I have a Phillips SBC RU 885 that can pull this off.

I only have one feed from the 19.2/non freesat, so that is not an option. Although i didn't think input 2 coped with Diseqc.

Have thought about the fancy remote - just unsure about how much we would use that facility - might keep an eye out for a bargain one.

edit - was also going to ask about playing MP4's through a usb stick - is this possible? is there a definitive list of file formats that it can simply plug and play?

thanks a lot graham

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I only have one feed from the 19.2/non freesat, so that is not an option. Although i didn't think input 2 coped with Diseqc.

Have thought about the fancy remote - just unsure about how much we would use that facility - might keep an eye out for a bargain one.

edit - was also going to ask about playing MP4's through a usb stick - is this possible? is there a definitive list of file formats that it can simply plug and play?

thanks a lot graham

Both tuners support diseqc.

Music mp3. Photo jpeg. Video needs two support files creating using AV2HDR and needs to conform to the following info

SD Video 576
Width 720 pixels
Height 576 pixels

SD Video 720
Width 1280 pixels
Height 720 pixels

HD Video 1080
Width 1920 pixels
Height 1080 pixels

Other sizes have been encoded and successfully played back on the HDR,
(The horizontal, or vertical resolution is then stretched by the HDR to fill the screen area).
However, this is very much a case of trial and error. The above sizes are the only ones guaranteed to work.

Video format MPEG-2 or H264
Aspect ratio 16/9.
Scan type progressive or interlaced
Frame rate 23.976, 25, or 29.97 frames per second.

Audio SD or HD
MPEG1 layer 2 or Dolby AC3.

Supported containers for A/V streams are .TS .MTS .M2TS .MPG and .VOB.
You can drag and drop your video anywhere in AV2HDR's window. If the container format is supported it will display streams information. However, that does not guarantee playback on the HDR. The video and audio streams must also match the above specifications.

Please Note: For HD playback on the HDR, the source H264 video stream must contain NAL units of type SEI, and in the correct order. i.e the SEI unit must precede the Pic Slice. Video streams created using applications which use the FFmpeg x264 codec are known to be incompatible with the HDR as they are encoded without any SEI units at all.

A freeware application, meGUI has been used successfully to create compatible H264 streams from other video formats.

AV2HDR cannot, and never will, import other video formats such as .AVI .DIVX .WMV .MOV
These must first be re-encoded to the above specifications using the software of your choice. There is an abundance of software re-encoders available for this purpose.

1440 x 1080 also works without problems.

logiciel

i would be having a set up with 28.2 and 19.2 on input 1 and 28.2 on input 2 like quite a few people do.
OK - that explains it, though a Freesat receiver wouldn't be my choice for a dual satellite setup, and I think few alone is the right word. If the Freesat EPG is important though then its receiver is necessary.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom