Humax HDR 320g run out of space and need help

Bollybarb

Standard Member
Reaction score
:)Hi, I've been reading you wonderful answers to the issues of exporting media from the Humax. Could someone give me a clear, and easy answer on what to do, as our stoarge is 80% full and i want to record more, and not lose some of the 'classic' recordings.

So what do i need to buy, USB stix or external hard drive? and a step by step guide for a tecnology numpty!! Thank you :)

Is the content you wan't to archive SD or HD recordings. (HD files larger than 4GB need a drive with a Linux File System (EXT3). Most SD will fit on a FAT32 formatted drive. With the amount of stuff you need to shift a USB drive will be favourite

Do these record to an external USB-linked hard drive from their internal hard drives, the same way as they - presumably - do from live TV?

Thanks Graham,:) i'll buy a large USB stix and put the SD recordings onto it which will allow me to plan my Christmas recordings.

logiciel, i'm sorry i really do not know what you are talking about.:confused:

I was really asking glt.;)
I was guessing that like other satellite receivers this one has a USB socket that you can connect to an external hard drive enclosure in order to record TV programmes, and that it could do the same with - and in effect copy - recordings played from its internal drive. As you have a 320gB and that's 80% full you're only going to get a small proportion of its contents on to even a 64gB stick that costs more than a 500gB enclosure.

So Logiciel, are you saying i'd be better off getting an external hard drive?

I want to free up some space on the internal HD to record some more programs, and store some films for prospertity.......

I don't know enough about what your receiver can do to be sure, but if it can copy to a USB stick then it should be able to do the same to an external hard drive in an enclosure or caddy and that would hold a lot more for a lot less money. So, the answer is yes, if glt can confirm that the receiver works like that.

Yes you can use a usb stick (the hdr can be picky about which work and which don't), the big advantage of a usb drive is that you can select multiple files to transfer without the transfer limits of the limited capacity of a usb stick, and leave the hdr to transfer them in it's own time (it's not particulary quick). Once transferred you can replay them from USB if the OP needs help once he has a drive post for help on how to manage this. File manager can be hard to get a handle on :confused:

So by transfer you mean it can copy files from its internal drive, much like recording from live TV?
But there is some complication about selecting which files to copy?
And obviously if there are many files a hard drive would be far more practical than a stick?
It copies faster than real time though?

So by transfer you mean it can copy files from its internal drive, much like recording from live TV?
But there is some complication about selecting which files to copy?
And obviously if there are many files a hard drive would be far more practical than a stick?
It copies faster than real time though?

About 4X real time for HD. A 1 hr recording takes about 15min to copy to usb.

Transferring 6 1hr recordings of a whole series recorded from BBC-HD takes about 1.5hrs

Last edited:
Thanks, i've found a usb that i had around the house and have tried to copy programs onto it. However the copy fuction is not highlighted in the opt+ menu. Do i need to formatt the usb stix?

Also, can we re partition the hard drive? we have space for music and photos which arn't in use (ipods do that for us) which might be better used for program storage. Thanks

Isn't there a menu option to format the USB drive?

Possibly i had my OH, DS9 and DD5 'helping' me!! will look later when i can hear myself think!
Thanks

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, i've found a usb that i had around the house and have tried to copy programs onto it. However the copy fuction is not highlighted in the opt+ menu. Do i need to formatt the usb stix?

Also, can we re partition the hard drive? we have space for music and photos which arn't in use (ipods do that for us) which might be better used for program storage. Thanks

When you connect the usb drive do you get a message that a USB drive has been connected ?. (Some usb sticks won't work even if you reformat them (FAT32))

If so press media then opt+ and choose file manager. You should get a two pane window with the usb stick on the right. Cursor right to the drive icon and click OK to open the drive to its root folder.

Go left and cursor to a file, the grteen copy button should now be active to make the copy.

You can reformat the HDD to change the partition, you will lose all your recordings though. Menu/System/HDD Control/Format. Selecting both partitions gives yoo a slider. The photo/music partition has a minimum size of 1GB.

Having a Humax 9200 and a Toppy 5800 both of which transfer more quickly to USB with the aerial out (also in Games Mode which is not as quick as removing the aerial), I wondered if it's possible to speed up transfers on the hdr by relieving the cpu load. (Currently clearing space for Xmas). There's no games mode on a hdr and disconnecting the lnb feeds is a bit impractical

I recorded a 15 min clip of BBC-HD in non freesat to avoid not being able to copy multiple times and tried the following

Code:
	Time	x Real Time	Time For 5Hrs
BBC-HD	00:02:44	5.49	00:54:40
BBC1	00:02:44	5.49	00:54:40
BBC4 (offline)	00:02:10	6.92	00:43:20
Teletext	00:02:29	6.04	00:49:40
Freesat Info	00:02:29	6.04	00:49:40
Radio 4	00:03:08	4.79	01:02:40
NonFreeesatEncrypted	00:02:21	6.38	00:47:00
Replaying SD Recording	00:02:10	6.92	00:43:20

As you can see tuning to a currently not available channel in Freesat mode gave the fastest results, (sadly the increase in speed is not dramatic)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom