Humax HDR-2000T Freeview HD+ PVR Review

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Steve Withers, Nov 28, 2013.

Tags:

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,976
    2. nitram_tpr

nitram_tpr

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      Nice review, this looks like a very good package for the money. I'm with you, I'd like a unit with the ITV player and 4OD VOD services too. However, I am also in the market for a new Blu-Ray player so could well team this up with a Sammy unit that has those other VOD services built in :)

3. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,999
      The 1tb version with wi-fi dongle included for £239 will be available in the next week or so, that's teh one that I shall be getting.

4. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,999
    5. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94
      Bought one of these as I thought my DigitalStream recorder had broken however I was able to fix by re-flashing and now the DS is working again I’m left with a dilemma of what PVR to use and have decided to keep the Humax as my main Freeview recorder as the programme guide is lightning fast to the extent I can get from now to seven days into the future within a few seconds and as I programme the weeks viewing on a Saturday morning it takes just a minute or two to find and put all the schedules in for the week. This machine is fast.

I think the review is an honest statement and bears out my findings too.

The portal is a bit disappointing but at least the BBC iPlayer plays in HD without a hitch and what’s more the transport keys work as with fast forward and rewinds I have always had problems with on anything but a computer.

The Apps are a bit gimmicky for my liking but there is BBC news and sport ones that can be handy apart from that there are a few newspapers, a bible and an app for finding guitar chords:(.

The only real negative thing I have found with this PVR is the MyHumax.net portal that is nothing more than a joke unless I’m not setting it up properly. I set up MyHumax account where I’m taken to a web page that shows your Hummy and some sort of interface that would point to something like being able to control the 2000T from a computer like adding schedules and deleting recordings a bit like the extra software that can be had for the HDR Foxsat only it does not do anything. It appears that there should be some sort of link between the PVR and Humaxes servers but there is none, no internet or local net apart from that is, it showing up on my PC as a media server. If you try to do anything you get a message come up saying something like “this option is not available on this model” even though I’m sign into the software with name and model at the top of the page and my model shown as registered. If it’s not compatible then why the hell is it showing? I think I know why it’s showing to be honest, it’s because they have nothing else to put in the web interface. Maybe this is under development, I don’t know but as it is, forget even bothering to register for MyHumax.

Apart from the portal the machine is brilliant as a Freeview HD recorder and the BBC HD iPlayer is great as well and well worth the money just for these. One more thing that may interest some and this is something I only tested on behalf of someone enquiring and that is the extra channels you get on the red button with the likes of channel 18 4Music, these work very well too along with the internet connected TV channels up in the 220 region.

Chris

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    6. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94
      I was in John Lewis yesterday, not looking for a PVR mined you as I have enough of those for now:laugh: but I’m sure I seen the 1Tb model on the shelve or should I say the 2000T was on the shelf with two prices below for the two HDD sizes but did not note the price and it’s not on their web site.

7. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,427
      Chris,

Thanks for that post, it would make an excellent user review.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page here: Humax HDR-2000T Freeview HD+ PVR Review | AVForums you should have the option of posting one by clicking on 'I own this' on the left hand side.

It's up to you obviously but it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

8. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94
      Thank Mark, I did intend to do that post as a review but unfortunately after I composed it and was about to publish when I used another tab in the browser to check something and when I came back I could not publish and now if I retry it does not work.

I assume forum already thinks I have done a review so will not let me do another one.

Just to add to my comments on the 2000T as it’s an important thing to some users and that is the lack of a display. I know Humax thinking behind this is to cut cost and personally I’m not worried about the lack of display on the unit itself as the information is available in the on screen UI but there is one big downside to this that Humax could have fixed without any extra cost and that is the way the colour LED work on the front panel and I’ll try to explain.

Basically the Humax has one colour strip led on the front panel much like most others and when the 2000 is off the colour is red and when it’s on its blue. This is simple enough until that is when the machine is turned off but in a recording state. What appears to happen is the LED is still red but dimmed a little bit. Although the 2000 has been reliable (but its early days) I could really do with an indication that the machine is actually recording and say the LED turning green for clear indication would have been good.

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
      Administrator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,783
      My understanding is that the User reviews function is still being tested and for the moment it is disabled.

10. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,427
      Ah, thanks Gavin, although if I click on it, it will allow me. Not a great deal of use in this circumstance though!

11. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +334
      Surely a big point of a Humax PVR is the ability to significantly extend its capabilities with the Custom Firmware (lan & internet control & playback, automated recordings, etc.). Apparently the 2000T can't (yet) be so improved, which is why I've just purchased another older model while they're still available.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    12. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,013
      errr... is this a twin-tuner box?
      I saw this quote:
      But not sure if Mr Hodgkinson is being grammatically specific or not.

Just we currently have the Humax HDR Fox T2, but the mrs is moaning about the laggy interface, and wondered if this is any better?
      (EDIT: just spotted another thread about laggy EPG, might try factory reset and retune)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    13. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,999
      Twin tuner so you can record two channels at the same time and you can watch a third depending on which mux is in use which is the same as your t2.

14. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94
      @Stinaris
      Just we currently have the Humax HDR Fox T2, but the mrs is moaning about the laggy interface, and wondered if this is any better?
      ______________________________________________________________________________

In my view the 2000T UI is lightening fast but I can’t compare to any other Humax devices except the HDR Foxsat and compare to that it’s like Usain Bolt running against a Tortoises with its back legs tied together.:laugh:

Sorry about the messy quotes but I can't find any quote button to press.:offtopic:

15. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94

After I published the post the quote tab shows up.:confused:

16. Gavtech

Gavtech
      Administrator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,783
      One alternative: In the reply box toolbar, click the " (i.e. Quotes) button.
      Paste in any text you wish to quote between the two quotes, shown here without square brackets so you can see them: (QUOTE) Place text you wish to quote here. (/QUOTE)

17. SRR

SRR

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      Any ideas when the update to cure the lack of "standby rf loop through" is coming. This is a deal breaker for me.

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,075
      Why a simple passive splitter will resolve the issue unless your signal is hovering on the edge of being unstable ?

It will also save you money in the long run.

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,082
      I am looking at getting one of these to replace a Sagem DTR67250. I need the ability to send the aerial signal through it when in standby to a TV. I daisy chain the signal through several devices. Are you saying this is what it cannot do? Even my Sagem can do that.

20. SRR

SRR

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      Erm, not really sure now. That was the case over 4 years ago when I posted that question. :)

21. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,082
      I asked someone who has a HDR200T 500GB and gets a signal on the TV when the Humax is in standby. The aerial is connected to the Humax first then to the TV.

22. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,075
      That's because they have turned off power saving in standby. The box uses a bit more electricity with power saving disabled.

23. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,082
      Good to know. I will need to have the aerial daisy chained through when on standby.

Going to get one. My Sagem is dead now.