Humax HDR-2000T 500GB

dsteeley

Novice Member
I'm going over to look at the box tomorrow morning to see if I can find out whether the box should be turning itself into standby from the on state (blue light to red) and if my dad had set it to record anything. If nothing obvious then I think it is going back to John Lewis as it seems a little bit too complicated for a 90yr old (but he is quite savvy). I've had a Humax pvr for several years and generally it works ok, that's why I suggested my Dad get one, he was all set to buy a Goodman 500GB for half the price.

Cheers

Dave

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I'm going over to look at the box tomorrow morning to see if I can find out whether the box should be turning itself into standby from the on state (blue light to red) and if my dad had set it to record anything. If nothing obvious then I think it is going back to John Lewis as it seems a little bit too complicated for a 90yr old (but he is quite savvy). I've had a Humax pvr for several years and generally it works ok, that's why I suggested my Dad get one, he was all set to buy a Goodman 500GB for half the price.

Cheers

Dave

If you fit an aerial splitter the TV will always work even if the pvr is switched off at the mains. Humax direct still have some graded HDR FOX T2's. UI is near identical to the HDR2000T but it has a proper display and low power sby works. (12 months warranty).

HumaxDirect

dsteeley

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply graham, I know I can fit a splitter or try the upgrade firmware to remove the non loop-through flaw. However, my dad has said the box has turned itself from 'on' to 'sby' on a few occasions but I don't know if this is related to any recording schedule my dad may or may not have set up. My concern is that 'out of the box' this product does not do what I thought it would do unless I, (my Dad couldn't do it), undertake some complicated firmware upgrade (I think the whole process of converting a usb to FAT32 and then downloading the precisely named upgrade etc, etc is more than should be asked of a customer). I consider the loop-through flaw to be just that, a design flaw that should have been highlighted to me or resolved prior to me purchasing it. I only bought it from John Lewis last Saturday so I think it will go back. I do like my Humax pvr and the HDR FOX T2 looks to be a suitable choice @ £129. However, I do expect it to have a loop-through facility out of the box and I don't expect to have to download any upgraded firmware, if required this should be available 'OTA'. If this is the case then I would be happy to buy one for my dad.

Cheers

Dave

Faust

I do think it depends what it is you want to do with the Hummy as to which model one might go for. Take me as an example - I already have a 1000s which is the workhorse for most of my TV recordings. I also have an ageing Panny DVDR single Freeview tuner which acts as a backup when there are three things on at the same time I want to record.

Now for me the Fox T2 with the custom firmware would be overkill as the PVR would only be used as backup to the 1000s. Therefore, for my situation I may as well get the HDR 2000T. Even then I would not put it on my home network as I already have lots of other streaming options. It would simply be used as a bog standard PVR.

dsteeley

Novice Member
Hi Faust, all my Dad wants is a box to record the programmes he would miss if he was out, in bed or watching another programme that was on another channel at the same time. He has no need for 'Smart' technology or any other whistles and bangs, he just wants a pvr.

Cheers

Dave

mike7

Distinguished Member
Pleased to hear there are so many satisfied customers. Perhaps I have been unlucky but I find the designs very old fashioned. Menus over complex and sluggish. There are endless posts on the Forum about fixes and downloads which leads me to think the designs are not right in the first place. Technology has moved on quite a bit. Hopefully Humax will catch up one day.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Pleased to hear there are so many satisfied customers. Perhaps I have been unlucky but I find the designs very old fashioned. Menus over complex and sluggish. There are endless posts on the Forum about fixes and downloads which leads me to think the designs are not right in the first place. Technology has moved on quite a bit. Hopefully Humax will catch up one day.

The User Interface (menus, epg etc) on the latest Humax satellite (freetime) pvrs (and some Panasonic TV's), is designed by Freesat. Humax were chosen by Freesat as the maker of choice, so far no one else has built a standalone freetime device. Panasonic have the satellite and terrestrial version of freetime on some of there 2014 TV range. My Panny TV has twin freetime and twin Freeview-HD tuners. I rather think that puts Humax ahead of the game :)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply graham, I know I can fit a splitter or try the upgrade firmware to remove the non loop-through flaw. However, my dad has said the box has turned itself from 'on' to 'sby' on a few occasions but I don't know if this is related to any recording schedule my dad may or may not have set up. My concern is that 'out of the box' this product does not do what I thought it would do unless I, (my Dad couldn't do it), undertake some complicated firmware upgrade (I think the whole process of converting a usb to FAT32 and then downloading the precisely named upgrade etc, etc is more than should be asked of a customer). I consider the loop-through flaw to be just that, a design flaw that should have been highlighted to me or resolved prior to me purchasing it. I only bought it from John Lewis last Saturday so I think it will go back. I do like my Humax pvr and the HDR FOX T2 looks to be a suitable choice @ £129. However, I do expect it to have a loop-through facility out of the box and I don't expect to have to download any upgraded firmware, if required this should be available 'OTA'. If this is the case then I would be happy to buy one for my dad.

Cheers

Dave

99.99% of USB sticks will be FAT32 anyway. It's a very simple process to use a usb stick. I imagine that the update will eventually be OTA and therefore completely automatic. All kit requires software upgrades from time to time. Blu-ray players for instance, if you haven't a networked player the software upgrade is similar, some you have to burn the update to a DVD first.

dsteeley

Novice Member
Hi graham, yes I would have no problem with going down the usb route, in fact I had already loaded it on to a usb stick in case my dad wanted me to try it for him. I'm just suggesting that some people would find this a difficult procedure (my dad couldn't do it without my help).

However, I saw my dad this morning and he said that after a couple of hours the Humax would switch itself from 'on' to 'sby' (blue light to red light) whereby he would lose his picture until he restarted the box. He has not made any recordings or set up any recording schedules. I couldn't see why this should happen so I have returned the box to John Lewis.

My dad did like the Humax despite his problems and has asked me to get him another so I'm looking at Graham's suggestion of the HDR FOX T2 but I need to check with my dad that he is comfortable with a graded purchase.

i notice that the Humax HDR-1800T is available for £149, anyone have experience of this model e.g. does it loopthrough on sby?

Dave

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi graham, yes I would have no problem with going down the usb route, in fact I had already loaded it on to a usb stick in case my dad wanted me to try it for him. I'm just suggesting that some people would find this a difficult procedure (my dad couldn't do it without my help).

However, I saw my dad this morning and he said that after a couple of hours the Humax would switch itself from 'on' to 'sby' (blue light to red light) whereby he would lose his picture until he restarted the box. He has not made any recordings or set up any recording schedules. I couldn't see why this should happen so I have returned the box to John Lewis.

My dad did like the Humax despite his problems and has asked me to get him another so I'm looking at Graham's suggestion of the HDR FOX T2 but I need to check with my dad that he is comfortable with a graded purchase.

i notice that the Humax HDR-1800T is available for £149, anyone have experience of this model e.g. does it loopthrough on sby?

Dave

Assuming the box has the latest firmware it has loop through in sby. If not and it's left connected to the internet in sby overnight it should update to latest 1.00.06. If not networked it will have to be updated by usb (same as the HDR2000T).

HUMAX

Was "Automatic power down" turned on? This would put the box into standby if there was no user interaction for 3 hours.

dsteeley

Novice Member
Was "Automatic power down" turned on? This would put the box into standby if there was no user interaction for 3 hours.

don't know, didn't think about that.

Dave

Faust

I've just taken the plunge and ordered the 2000T. I only intend to use it as an additional recording option to the 1000s. There are occasions when I need to record more than 2 things at once. My Panasonic DVDR is around 8 years old now and has suffered a few hiccups of late.

We do have a Panasonic HWT120 in another room and although a good PVR I think the Humax just has the edge. I don't intend to put it on the network though as I have other streaming options. Besides I would need to replace my two single Devolo Homeplugs with a triple as I have no more spare plugs and these don't come cheap with pass through.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

Good spot :clap:. Auto power off is the default option on all Humax pvrs. There should have been a warning message on screen but if not watching the box you wouldn't see it of course.

Good spot :clap:. Auto power off is the default option on all Humax pvrs. There should have been a warning message on screen but if not watching the box you wouldn't see it of course.
I imagine it will catch out quite a few new owners, and quite a number of calls for help to Humax, or returned units, by owners thinking that their new boxes are faulty.:)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I imagine it will catch out quite a few new owners, and quite a number of calls for help to Humax, or returned units, by owners thinking that their new boxes are faulty.:)

I should have thought of it. First thing I always do after a factory reset, is whack up the box volume to max and turn off auto sby.

Faust

You could add a network switch to gain extra ports. I have a 5-way, and an 8-way switch connected to a single port Homeplug, this works well.
This is true though with the Panny being a Smart TV plus the 1000s also having all the catchup options not to mention Apple TV, there isn't really a need to hook it up to my network. As far as I know there isn't any technical imperative to connect it online?

Black Hole

The Gadget Show did a comparative test of three PVRs including the HDR-FOX and the Sky box, and the Humax came out top for usability.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
This is true though with the Panny being a Smart TV plus the 1000s also having all the catchup options not to mention Apple TV, there isn't really a need to hook it up to my network. As far as I know there isn't any technical imperative to connect it online?

Assuming box is in same room then only thing I can think of is Humax use IP delivery for some software updates (probably cheaper than ota).

Faust

Assuming box is in same room then only thing I can think of is Humax use IP delivery for some software updates (probably cheaper than ota).
Yes in same room, stacked. If software update needed then I could whip the Ethernet out of the 1000s to do an update.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Yes in same room, stacked. If software update needed then I could whip the Ethernet out of the 1000s to do an update.

There are some marginal differences between individual kit that at first sight appear to be identical.

Take media streaming.

1080p5oi/1080p25 is the same on all my Humax boxes, my Panny TV and LG 3D blu-ray player (bought because it had Amazon Prime).

Only the blu-ray player streams 1080p24 content at the correct frame rate and preserves DTS-HD audio from a suitable file.

On Demand IP Streaming

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, only the new Panny Tv app outputs 5.1 to my AV amp from 5.1 content. Using the app on the LG Blu-ray gives only 2.0 output.

If only the spec data had this sort of level of detail.

Similar situation with my Sony Amp, took a while to figure out that the TV input could not select a coax input only optical. In my case with TV and amp remotely located needed to figure out a solution. Sadly these days the actual detail is increasingly dumbed down.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max