Humax HDR 2000T 500GB PVR - Is this any good?

JudgeDredd2010

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Humax HDR 2000T 500GB PVR - Is this any good?

I was thinking of buying this from here: http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Humax-HDR-2000T-Black-500GB-Freeview... to finally replace my old VCR. Is it any good? I did not want a FREESAT box.

Also can you can you backup recordings from it on to a DVD Recorder or Memory Stick?

Opinions please
smile.png

Thanks

Last edited:
I have owned one of these units for two years, and it has served very well.

It is a Freeview receiver. I say this because you mention a Fox sat, which is Freesat.

Seems a good price.

My mistake i was after a Freeview PVR and NOT FREESAT. :)

I'm not sure whether you can beat Humax for PVR's, they have been making these for years now, and they just get better, and better. Recording is very easy, and the unit is reliable. The only thing I would point out to you is keep the device as cool as you possibly can. It does run warm, and can get hot when working hard. There is a built in fan, but this is useful only if you have an adequate free air space around the device.

Can you hook it up to a DVD Recorder or Memory Stick device?

There's no problem playing files from a memory stick, or portable hard drive. The Humax will play all video formats (I know of). I'm not sure about a DVD recorder, as i've never tried it, can't see why not though.

Think you might be better off with the Humax FOX T2 as that allows custom firmware which add a load of extra functionality to the box

Its NOT a PVR though which is what i wanted. I don't want FREESAT also as i am not interested in it.

I asked about a Memory Stick or DVD Recorder as i was just wondering in case i wanted to Record stuff from the box itself.

I was told by Humax that one model, i can't recall which wont allow you to attach a DVD Recorder to it for example.

Ta :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Its NOT a PVR though which is what i wanted. I don't want FREESAT also as i am not interested in it.

I asked about a Memory Stick or DVD Recorder as i was just wondering in case i wanted to Record stuff from the box itself.

I was told by Humax that one model, i can't recall which wont allow you to attach a DVD Recorder to it for example.

Ta :)

I don't know of any Humax that you can't record the analogue outputs to a DVDR. The twin tuner pvr model is a HDR FOX T2, the single tuner HD FOX T2 will record to a separate usb drive. Neither is a satellite box.

The HDR FOX T2 with a custom firmware allows you copy recording off and archive to DVD or whatever

You can do the same without using custom firmware. SD export is built in to usb. Foxy (by Raydon) creates the ability to de-crypt HD recordings when copying to USB.

Once on a usb drive.

You can create

1 SD DVD content (from HD or SD content) playable on any DVD player

2 Create HD content on a DVD blank, using AVCHD format, playable on any recent blu-ray player (subject to the recording limits of a DVD blank)

3 Create a file on a usb device that will play on most any cheap media player with as usb input to virtually any TV with a digital/analogue input. Of course if you want to view in HD you need a HD TV with a hdmi input.

Incidentally FOXY works on a HDR 2000T as well.

Humax say you can backup stuff as long as its not HD which is encrypted.

I think i will go for the Co-Op one.

How much recordings would you get on a 500gb drive?

Humax say you can backup stuff as long as its not HD which is encrypted.

I think i will go for the Co-Op one.

How much recordings would you get on a 500gb drive?

Foxy will remove encryption on copying to USB, in any case encryption isn't an issue You can still back up HD on a HDR FOX T2, the encryption simply means only the box that recorded it will play the recording back (you can play back from usb).

The amount you can record varies with different channels, the higher the bitrate the larger the recordings and channels on the same mux stat mux (dynamically share the available bandwidth depending on content), means that the recording sizes will vary a little anyway.

Typical figures from my HDR FOX T2.

3 Episodes of Emmerdale from ITV1-HD 1.5hrs 4.6GB
95 minutes Channel 4-HD 5.92GB
60 minutes Mr Selfridge ITV1-HD 2.99GB

Wondering if the support provided to owners of this HDR-2000t machine will be any better than that offered by HUMAX to owners of the PVR 9200T - which HUMAX never managed to get to work properly - With the 'accurate recording' feature on the PVR 9200T being better named 'inaccurate recording'

Wondering if the support provided to owners of this HDR-2000t machine will be any better than that offered by HUMAX to owners of the PVR 9200T - which HUMAX never managed to get to work properly - With the 'accurate recording' feature on the PVR 9200T being better named 'inaccurate recording'

The 9200T was designed prior to the Freeview+ accurate recording/series recording specification. Like the Topfield 5800 it did not really have the processing power to handle the crid system used for the then new system. As a result both struggled to work properly, despite the engineers trying to make it work. Would you expect your ancient Pentium based computer to be able to work with Full-HD content and now 4K content. Of course it will not. You have totally unrealistic ideas, would you expect your TV bought at the same time as the 9200T to work with HD-Freeview content. The 9200T was the first twin tuner Freeview on the market, followed by the Topfield 5800 (which was a superior pvr, now considered a classic), both are last century technology. The new box has the hardware to handle the current requirements. It's based on the excellent HDR FOX T2, I have no doubt that any current bugs will get sorted out.

The 9200T was the first twin tuner Freeview on the market, followed by the Topfield 5800 (which was a superior pvr, now considered a classic), both are last century technology.

I think the Pace Twin was the first with its 20 GB hard drive. :eek:

An excellent machine in its day and as with the Humax had enthusiasts developing improvements.

I had 2 which I fitted 120GB drives to (128GB was the largest partition it could use).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom