Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Answered Humax HDR-1100S sound level low on SD channels

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Gav76, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Gav76

Gav76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone, :hiya:
    I've just binned my sky TV contract after 16 years and bought a new Humax HDR-1100S (500 GB version), AND a new Samsung UE43KU6000 Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR 43" TV as well.
    Our previous TV was total pants and very old and did not take very well to an HDMI input, hence the reason for a new TV.. Unbelievably pleased with the picture quality after all the years of having a cack TV, we've only had this new tech 2 days and we're still learning.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I've had a little look around and can't find too much on the subject.

The sound problem:

Sound levels between SD channels and HD channels are at very different levels. Changing from any SD channel to any HD channel there's a big jump up in sound levels. On any SD channel the volume of the Humax needs to adjusted very high for it to be at what I would call normal level, changing to any HD channel it needs to be turned down because it becomes far too loud.

We also have a Now TV box with PLEX and the sound levels while using it are normal and not low like with the Humax HDR on SD channels.

We don't have any sound bar or surround sound connected, we're just using the TV speakers only.

The question:

Does anyone here know if there's any way of sorting this sound difference out? as its a bit annoying having to keep playing with the volume when changing channels. The only workaround I've found so far is to press the SPORT button on the TV remote which increases the volume and also the colour vibrancy.

Any links to sorting it or any info Humax users have if they've had a similar issue I'd sure appreciate it.;)

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by Gav76, Aug 6, 2016 (1 points)
  3. Gav76

Gav76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best Answer
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    If you using a TV for the audio, turn off surround sound in the box TV setup option. This forces the box to output lpcm stereo for both HD and SD channels. If using a AV reciever set the box SD output level using the remote control to match a HD channel level.

5. Gav76

Gav76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for answering Graham, do you mean in the Humax box setup? I'll have another look and report back but I don't recall seeing a surround sound option in the set up menu first time around.

6. Gav76

Gav76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reporting back:

Just went into audio/picture settings for the Humax box and had a look. You were right Graham the audio out was set to Multi-channel, so I changed it to stereo - both audio options are now set to stereo.
    That's done the trick !! There is no more big jump in volume when switching between SD & HD channels.:D A slight difference but not a huge one like before, that I can live with. So thanks a lot Graham, much appreciated.:smashin:
    And yes at the moment I'm only using the TV for audio.

It would have been much more obvious if Humax called that setting 'surround sound' rather than 'multi-channel' for us non techy types, the user manual should have really explained this setup better as well, or at least have this info in the trouble shooting section.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    They did call it surround sound on some models. Not at home so couldn't check what it's called on Freetime boxes. Basically the problem is that HD channels use Dolby Digital (aka ac3) audio either 2.0 (stereo) or 5.1 (surround). SD ones have MP2 (mpeg 1 layer 2) audio which the box outputs as lpcm stereo. Switching of surround sound forces the box to convert ac3 to lpcm (same as SD).

The difference is down to the way your TV handles ac3 audio.

8. Gav76

Gav76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for that explanation Graham, I must confess that's way out of my level of understanding (not being a very technical person) but I sort of get what your saying. I suspect a lot of people (non technical types) will just put up with it without looking into it further.
    I'm glad I asked and you gave me a logical fix for it and if anyone else has this issue and searches for it hopefully they'll stumble upon this info. My TV is a brand new samsung ku6000 series and the Humax HDR is also brand new, so I suspect lots of others will have the same issue with the sound difference.
    Humax would be wise to get this setup info into the user manual asap.

9. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,814
    Just posted a new thread before seeing this one with h the same issue.
    On my set up I only see left, tight and stereo.
    Wound I find the setting on my Amp instead?

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    You are looking in the wrong place. If you have a AV receiver. To take advantage of 5.1 sound you need to retain the surround output.

On the 1100S

In settings Picture and Sound- Digital Audio Out Check setting is Multi-channel.

Switch to a HD channel and adjust your amp level to a normal level.

Switch to a SD channel and raise the box level audio out to match (this will not change the level of HD channels).

Make a note of the volume settings as you will need to reset it after a factory reset. Also if you add a power on timer set the volume level the same level as otherwise you will reset the level.

From then on use your AV amp volume level.

If by amp you mean a stereo only device you need to ask again.

11. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,814
    It was my Denon 2300 amp with Atmos.

I have got it working now, so happy.

Thanks.