Question Humax HDR-1100S recording bug, anyone?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Clem_Dye, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    I’m not sure if I’ve found a bug in the way that my Humax HDR-1100S Freesat PVR handles programmes scheduled for recording that get moved to new dates, and would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

My wife has been following the latest series of Our Girl, which normally airs at 21:00 on Tuesdays on BBC1HD, but which has been moved around for the last two weeks due to the World Cup football (which is another debate). Anyway, I always record stuff that we want watch on both my Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR and my Humax HDR-1100S. Last week, the Tuesday broadcast got pushed to the following day. Neither device recorded it on the Tuesday, as expected, and both trapped the day change, as I recall, to the following day. This week, the Radio Times listed the programme as being broadcast on either Tuesday or Wednesday, depending again on whether football was to air. However, the programme this week has been re-scheduled to today, Friday 13/07. As before, both PVRs failed the Tuesday recording. However, whereas the Panasonic PVR correctly trapped the programme re-schedule to today, the Humax totally ignored it, and showed the next recording as being scheduled for Tuesday 17/07. Now, it’s quite possible that this could be down to a lack of the correct Freesat EPG data, but in my experience the BBC is pretty good at keeping this stuff sorted, and I can’t recall the last time that I've lost a programme on any of the BBC channels, regardless of platform.

Thinking back, this isn’t the first time that I’ve seen recording failures on the Humax box due to 'odd' schedule changes, but this is the first that I’ve actually managed to investigate before the failure occurs and be able to take steps to resolve it. So, do other Humax users think that this is a bug? Has anyone else seen this issue? If it is a bug, how do I report it to Humax? I have the latest firmware installed on the device, BTW.

TIA

Clem

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Have had the same issue with Holby City the past two weeks on my Foxsat-HDR... Missed the Tuesday recording but schedule updated to the next week's episode.

Holby is/was set as one-off separate CRID for the Wednesday shifted programme(s) - no series CRID. So a BBC mess up on that programme at least - see Question - Humax FPV-5000T Recording

Suspect the same thing may have happened for Our Girl? Although tonight's episode has CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/1FH5OP and Series CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/WS1AT8 for HD and CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/1FH5OP Series CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/P6CRGC for SD. Both might record correctly? Or not.
    BTW just checked and my HDR-FOX-T2 reports the same CRIDs.

You may wish to check the Humax hasn't magically got tonight's episode in the schedule (and no longer show next week's?)

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Cheers. When I saw the issue I deleted the timer entry for next Tuesday's episode, and added it again using the Friday EPG entry. Both today's and next Tuesday's EPG entries have the series link icon on them. With hindsight, I should perhaps have left things alone to see if the box would have sorted this itself, but once bitten ...

Clem

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Typical! The BBC scrubbed the transmission last night in favour of yet more coverage from Wimbledon. Perhaps the Humax box knew something that the Panasonic box didn't. I'll check the boxes later on today to see what they've done. Sigh.

Clem

5. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Well, it looks like both my Panasonic and Humax PVRs are a pile of junk when it comes to series-link recording. According to the timer entries on both devices, the next Our Girl episode is scheduled for Tuesday 24/07 @ 21:00, so what about the episode scheduled for today, Monday 23/07, also @ 21:00? I only found out purely by chance after reading the TV section in today's Daily Telegraph newspaper. As far as both of my PVRs were concerned, the episode tonight doesn't exist as an event.

I cancelled timer events on both devices for tomorrow, re-adding the entry selecting today's episode. The EPG data would appear to be correct, as a check on either machine's EPG shows the entries for today and tomorrow flagged correctly.

These things really are a pile of junk if they have to deal with anything out of the ordinary!

Clem

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    It's the broadcasters at fault, nothing to do with the boxes. Clearly they either messed up the series and programme crids or failed to send the signal that tells boxes set to use accurate record to start recording. Unforgotton on ITV-HD failed to record on my HDR-1000S and at least one other box I know off.

The BBC screwed up the codes for Our Girl after scheduling the last two episodes on Monday and Tuesday 23rd and 24th July but failed to include the Monday episode in the series.

As you have found it's not a box issue so complain to the broadcasters involved.

7. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Recorded fine on my Foxsat-HDR (Anglia ITV HD). Mayhap a Central ITV issue?
    Have yet to watch it, though; so still on it's hard drive (Start Time: Sun Jul 22 21:01:33 2018.
    End Time: Sun Jul 22 22:04:14 2018)

Agreed. Suspect the Monday was set as a separate, non-series CRID as happened with two Holby episodes for me. {We don't watch that prog.}

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    CRID based accurate recording is probably the best system out there.

But it only works if the broadcasters update schedule changes for all instances of the program CRID data across all regional areas.
    Its often the case that this does not happen.

I dont believe any of the boxes have a bug as such.
    They can only operate on the data they have.
    If its bad or expired data, things get missed.

Ive got humax boxes using CRID and enigma2 boxes using auto-timer

Autotimer in Enigma2 is based on an EPG search as opposed to CRID.
    Its good, but fails where a program over runs or the EPG is not correct as happened a lot during the world cup.

CRID is way better, but the codes must be correct. The only time it fails is when the codes are bad.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018