Question Humax hdr-1100s freesat box signal issues.

techfan86

I've had a Humax hdr-1100s in the living room for a few years now without major issues, but recently it's been having issue with signal.

I will get the error message pop up that the receiver signal is weak or there is no signal, and some TV channels just won't work. In the setting it shows tuner 1is all good, but tuner two has nothing on strength or quality.
At one point it showed only 1 cable connected even though I had 2 physically there, and no matter how much I made sure both were screwed on tight it just didn't help but them eventually a few resets of the box fixed it.

IDK if this is an issue, but one cable was fitted through an installer when we initially got a sat dish installed, then when upgrading to the Humax I bought a 2nd cable from Maplins and ran it through the hole where a rooftop TV aerial used to come through.

I did fiddle about with checking the cable going to the sat dish, and swapping both cables a few times, and reset the box again which fixed the issue but then it can come back again so IDK what to do now. I know the basic HD box upstairs works just fine on the rare occasions it gets used.

Tahnks in advance for any help.

REPASSAC

One or two cables presence is only detected on reset or freesat tune, missing channels would not be connected with this.

There are quite a few possibilities causing signal loss or missing channels, Are the missing channels constant? Intermittent loss of signal would suggest a faulty cable connection perhaps not correctly making an electrical circuit. More details please, including some examples of channels (inclusive of region).

techfan86

I don't use the TV much, but from what I'm being told it can vary as to what channels get a signal and what don't.
Sometimes stuff like UKTV channels (Dave, Really, Drama..etc) will be gone, sometimes STV HD will work but not STV SD or the other way around. Then this morning it was all the channels that had zero signal.

I thought it may have been a cable issue, as in the settings one feed was showing good signal quality and strength but the other was showing nothing, and when testing a regular HD box one cable worked and the other didn't.

Unfortunately, the loss of signal this morning rules the one dodgy cable theory out as the "good cable" was in use, though I noticed when removing the said cable and re-inserting it that I got the signal back.

REPASSAC

" I don't use the TV much, but from what I'm being told it can vary as to what channels get a signal and what don't." Satellite signals can vary in strength depending on if they are on a UK or European beam and some other factors, However all should have a very adequate signal in the U.K.

What you are describing with the "good cable" is typical of a poor connection which MUST make an electrical circuit, Common problems like this can stem from incorrectly sized F connectors (width) which should make a tight fir on the cable or simply braid touching the inner core and shorting out the connection.

My advice is to remake both cable connections firstly indoor and if that does not solve the problem, check the LNB end as well. Most users in the UK get 100% signal quality or very near to it.

techfan86

" I don't use the TV much, but from what I'm being told it can vary as to what channels get a signal and what don't." Satellite signals can vary in strength depending on if they are on a UK or European beam and some other factors, However all should have a very adequate signal in the U.K.

What you are describing with the "good cable" is typical of a poor connection which MUST make an electrical circuit, Common problems like this can stem from incorrectly sized F connectors (width) which should make a tight fir on the cable or simply braid touching the inner core and shorting out the connection.

My advice is to remake both cable connections firstly indoor and if that does not solve the problem, check the LNB end as well. Most users in the UK get 100% signal quality or very near to it.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll try remaking both cables as although they were both working maybe they've got pulled when working by the TV unit.

We were getting near to full signal when I set it up, and even after switching to a new TV unit, it was OK.

ashenfie

Mostly like the Dish has come out of alignment. As it already tuned in, you can correct alignment with careful tweaking and the use of a signal meter which hopefully your unit has in the setup menu?

REPASSAC

" I noticed when removing the said cable and re-inserting it that I got the signal back." This is typical of a poor cable connection, I have seen a case were just touching it brought the signal back. Temperature changes can also make or brake a loose connection.

Check also that there is no colour change on the male part of the connectors which would indicate water ingression.

I would not try adjusting the dish until you have checked the connections.

techfan86

I've tried remaking the cables, they didn't look too bad but given them a little longer copper core which seems to be working just now although we had signal again so IDK if it's fixed it but we'll see if it stays.

REPASSAC

What signal quality do you get on say BBC HD channels?

One trick I use is to put a very slight kink need the end of the inner core to make it a snug fit.

If it is fine wiggling the end of the fitted cable will have no effect on the signal.

techfan86

So after remaking the cable with a slightly longer copper core, things worked fine showing good strength and quality when checking in the settings from Friday till today.

Today recordings failed on the channels as shown in the pic and some channels now show the no signal message again like STV HD while regular STV works.

IMG_20200722_191205.jpg

REPASSAC

I am not convinced you are checking both tuners signal every time. Tuner one cable is the most important. Is there any sign on corrosion of the Humax bend connectors?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom