Humax HDR-1000S Freetime PVR - HDD Problems

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Faust, Feb 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Well I've just fired up box number two. The retailer decided to test the defunct box when I returned it today. I stood there in trepidation thinking knowing my luck it will boot up after being left all night. However I needn't have worried, all you could hear was the platters thumping away, the unit just wouldn't boot. The chap said they have had a number returned but mine was one of the worst examples he had tested.

I did notice the firmware version was newer than my previous unit, that version was the one before 1.00.16, whereas the new one was already .16. I have installed version 1.00.22 again.

2. fixerman

fixerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I tried to set up a series recording of "Lightfields" on ITV tonight but all was offered on screen was to record the single programme. No series link option!:lease::facepalm:

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Is that the box or the broadcasters fault though? I have come across this issue many times on my Sky+ boxes. I used to look for a series link green arrow but there wouldn't be one even though I knew the programme was part of a series. The link would often appear over the following 7 days.

4. fixerman

fixerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had no problem setting a series link on my TiVo tonight!:smashin:

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Ah! but that was the point I was trying to make, although badly. When the series links weren't present on the Sky+ box I could often go to my Panasonic recorder and that would set a series link for the exact same programme. Grand Designs did that on me more than once.

6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Broadcasters - missing EPG data (Series CRID absent).

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    I set this to record on my hdr-1000s on Monday from ITV-HD London. First episode recorded fine (watched in chasing playback) yesterday.

8. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I pulled the plug on Sky this week with the intention of getting one of these despite all the issues being reported and feeling that extra catchup services and remote record function may never appear. The number of failed units being reported, though, is alarming. I'm holding back until at least the March update.

After a bit of looking around it would not surprise me if the reason the high failure rate of this box is the Seagate Pipeline drive inside it. I've seen reviews by people who have used this drive in PVRs and encountered similar problems experienced here and also complete failure of the drive.

I'm going to contact Humax to enquire about this issue and see if they can give any kind of useful reply. They must surely be concerned about this.

9. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,554
    Your response will probably be something along the lines of "We're not aware of any issues being reported".
    If you do get a response then I would love to see what they have to say about this issue.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    What exactly is the issue with the Seagate Pipline drives. I've not found to many negative posts about them though they do seem a popular choice with manufacturers and consumers alike? I have to say the way my box died on me was quite alarming. It went from a fully functioning reliable unit to a dead one overnight. There was absolutely no hint of impending doom. The audible repetitious bumping noise of the HD trying to boot was not nice. Still looking on the bright side the replacement has now lasted 24hrs and is still going strong. :rolleyes:

11. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A few negative reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Pipeline-5900RPM-Internal-ST3500312CS/product-reviews/B002CMOH26 and there's a few others I've seen.

As you mention, though, I've just noticed that other PVRs use these drives, including Sky boxes. Perhaps it's a perfectly good disk, but just doesn't play well with the HDR-1000S.

It would be interesting to know if anyone who has replaced the drive in their HDR-1000S has had a failure.

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Read the reviews in the link you provided. I have to say if that is the same model drive that's in the 1000S then it really doesn't inspire confidence for the reliability or longevity odds for this product.

13. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,554
    If it wasn't for the voiding the warranty part of things I would really like to put a new HHD in mine.
    Knowing my luck I would put a new HHD in and something else would go wrong.
    I suppose at least there's a 2 year warranty which the cynic in me says we will be making the most of in the months to come. (Really hope that's a massive exaggeration on my part)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    What I find most strange though is if you took the lid off one of these units what you would see are stock off the shelf parts, bog standard chip sets etc. Add to that Humax have plenty experience putting PVR's together. It does make you wonder if it's the software that is causing these issues?

15. Pollensa1946

Pollensa1946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My 100S 1TB box has spontaneously rebooted on 3 occasions today, eventually freezing up and becoming completely unresponsive to the R/C. Pulled the power from the box, pulled the batteries out of R/C and discharged R/C as recommended. Eventually, after numerous reboots via the power button on the box managed to get up and running, although box took at least a minute to respond to each R/C command. After many attempts tried 2580 code and HDD cleanup, unsuccessful. Again after many attempts got into Factory Reset, which seems to have cleared the problem. That reset also cleared the recordings planner, which pleased my wife no end.

I hope the planned OTA update in March fixes this. If it does not I have lost patience and will be talking seriously to Humax about a return and refund as unfit for purpose. My biggest regret is I did not buy from John Lewis as I would have simply returned the box. Possibly the worst bit of technology I have ever purchased. Lesson learned.

16. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
  17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Fortunately I did purchase mine from JL hence there was no issue about a return for an immediate swap out. I said to the wife last night that I remain less than confident I have done the right thing in replacing it with another Humax 1000s. My instinct was to replace it with the Panasonic HW120 which although a bit more basic works beautifully. This may well happen yet.

18. Pollensa1946

Pollensa1946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Problem is that the Panasonic PVRs are Freeview and in my area we get Freeview Lite. Which basically means the main channels 1 -> 5 plus a few others. About 30 channels in all including radio (who needs radio on a TV). Which is why I'm using satellite. I got tired waiting for the OTA upgrade and implemented the V.22 USB update. Ok it now records accurately but if anything things have got worse since then in terms of stability.

19. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    We are OK for Freeview, the reception is full on, I often say we could get it using a pan lid. What I find most annoying though is the total silence from Humax as they must know they have a problem with this product yet they say nothing. I have emailed Humax to register my complaint yet to date I haven't even received an acknowledgement from them. :mad:

20. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Post 12 on this thread claims they've been running HDR-1000S trouble free since swapping the HD.

21. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    As tempting as it is to spring the lid off, as Gonzo has already stated, no one wants to void their two year warranty. Interesting post though.

22. zekepliskin

zekepliskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wow, seems like the failure rate of these things could give original Xbox 360 consoles a run for their money! Added to that they look like oversized Tupperware containers.

For now the Foxsat HDR seems the most "complete" now Raydon's firmware has been so well refined and the box itself is reliable. Can't see the trouble prone HDR-1000S stealing the crown off it any time soon, seeing as 4oD/Demand 5/YouTube still aren't available and there are far more bugs overall.

23. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,554
    What I don't get is with the comment about OTA update being costly.
    Yes I can quite imagine they are costly which does make sense to have one big update instead of lots of little ones, but why haven't they implemented updates being done via the Internet which is a lot less costly.
    The UKSFAA 1.00.22 software has been sat on a server for quite sometime now which could of be applied to every box already automatically.
    The first thing my Sony Blu Ray player does when you turn it on is checks the server for updates so find it odd as to why Humax/Freesat don't do the same.

24. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I suppose Humax/Freesat may argue that not all users will have their units connected to the Internet. Take me as an example, we have the HW120 in another room, this is Internet capable. I don't however have it connected to the Internet as we have various other options for getting on demand material (plus I'm to mean to buy another Homeplug with pass through). :rolleyes:

I do however think it's about time Humax made a statement about the functioning and failure rate of these particular PVR's.

25. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,554
    I did actually think of that while I was writing, but its a bit of a crap argument considering the main purpose of <FreeTime> is to be connected to the Internet.

26. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    My guess is that freesat specified it to be OTA so that all units are undated not just those few users who are aware there is an update.

It should not be long if you believe feesat's early March statement, I do.

27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Did I read somewhere there was more work to do on the update so the date had slipped, or have I imagined it?

28. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I have been looking but have seen nothing which said this. I think what you may have seen was related to 1.0.22 (the Beta). There was a freesat forum post on 22-02-2013 that said the results of their tests were looking good but testing would continue until the end of the following week (which would have now passed). So I would think that it will be very soon as nothing else has been posted.

29. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Mind you irrespective of what the update brings or when it is, if many of these problems are related to the Hard Drives then nothing will change, unless it's the HD firmware. It is odd though as many of the boxes start OK then develop faults quite quickly, this could be poor coding or hardware related. Until or unless Humax are prepared to come clean and make a statement the poor consumer is left in the dark. One can only assume their number crunchers have worked out that it will work out cheaper to lose X amount of customers than come clean, make a statement or possibly issue a recall. Many companies do this so Humax aren't alone - car manufacturers to give just one example.

30. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I have not seen any reports of real hard drive failures. I have seen reports of the drive needs to be formatted. This could arise due to surface problems or read-write errors which AV drives usually simply ignore.

The following is a quote from Bob_Cat (Humax) in a response to a question on Seagate V WD
    "Humax buys both brands, if either had a failure rate that actually measured we wouldn't buy. I hear lots of people who say they have experience of one brand or another failing, but in our world disk failures are big business and we haven't seen anything anomalous"

The other problem is have seen posts about concerns lockups with most remote and front-panel keys unresponsive. I have had one or two but Mute, Volume and standby remained active and I used standby as pulling the power when it is writing (as it is unless the buffer is disabled) is not a good idea.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013