humax hd sky hd without sky box

creambun

Standard Member
:mad: hi
i and a few friends have humax hd boxs so we thought get sky subs to get the max channels etc
but on a few phone calls to sky there saying you must buy there sky hd box as well , is this true we have to fork out for there sky hd box cant we just subscribe to sky get there card i know the card works in a dragon cam
but as long as we all pay subs to sky hd whats there big problem :mad: :eek:

rd100

Novice Member
First you will need to get the HD channels swiched on your card by having the card paired with a thomson sky hd box,

Then you can use the card in the dragon cam,

So you will need to buy a thomson hd box to active the card any way as sky uk do not issue NDS cam's,

creambun said:
:mad: hi
i and a few friends have humax hd boxs so we thought get sky subs to get the max channels etc
but on a few phone calls to sky there saying you must buy there sky hd box as well , is this true we have to fork out for there sky hd box cant we just subscribe to sky get there card i know the card works in a dragon cam
but as long as we all pay subs to sky hd whats there big problem :mad: :eek:

rd100

Novice Member
Yes it is true what sky are saying it is the only way to get the card active,

So if you want sky hd you have to buy a receiver from them or off a dealer,

creambun said:
sky are saying i cant just buy a card i have to buy another box from them
this is madness

creambun

Standard Member
so if i borrowed one i could activate the card would it work in the dragon cam
after:mad:
but sky still would not send me a card till i got there box i suppose

Cupart

Nope. Only one card can paired with one box at any time, so borrowing a box won't do you any good as that box most likely already is paired with a card from before...

Nice try though

You can get a card from SKY if you just tell them that you have a box from before. They'll probably ask for the serial number, EPG version etc...

gavan

Novice Member
creambun said:
sky are saying i cant just buy a card i have to buy another box from them
this is madness
Nope, this is Sky's refusal to release a CAM to allow their programming to be received on standard DSAT gear.

To be fair, the only HD channels that are encrypted are their own ones so it's not as bad as in the SD case where Channel4 and Five use Sky encryption.

Look on it as a way to save a tenner a month. Sooner or later they'll drop the charge and give away the boxes for a hundred quid so at that point jump in.

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom