Answered Humax HB-1100S vs Humax Foxsat HDR

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by amardilo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744
    Has anyone got a Humax HB-1100S and can give some feedback on how responsive it is?

I am going through a bit of an AV upgrade and was looking at this box to replace my old Humax Foxsat HDR.

My Humax Foxsat HDR is a 2nd hand box I bought from here which I flashed with the custom firmware. However it's a bit big, I don't need the recording feature (planning on handing that off to a Plex server) and find navigation through the guides and menus a bit slow. So I am looking at a Humax HB-1100S as it's smaller and hopefully as it's newer it might be quicker...

Also how is it over Wi-Fi? I currently have my Humax Foxsat HDR plugged in over Ethernet but I am trying to reduce the number of wires (I know Ethernet is better but most of my online streaming is done through consoles anyway).

Lastly does anyone know if the Humax HB-1100S uses less power than the Humax Foxsat HDR (when running and on standby)?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by REPASSAC, Jan 4, 2019 (1 points)
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Best Answer
    I have a HB-1000s - which has the same firmware as the HB-1100S. It is believed that the hardware is also the same excepting the addition of WiFi.
    I also had a Foxsat-HDR.

Differences Foxsat v HB-1100S - Menus significantly more responsive. Most significant is the shaper picture quality which you will notice immediately. No experience re WiFi but suggest that if it is not far from your router it should be fine.

4. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744
    Wow, wasn't expect the picture quality to be sharper. Thanks for the info. I've seen Humax selling refurb boxes on eBay. Might give it a buy.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,152
    Sby power Foxsat-HDR - less than 0.75W. HB-1100S less than 0.5W. Having only 1 tuner running power us likely to a bit less . Choice of external HDD will have some influence, USB3 portable drives tend to require more power than usb2.0.

Incidentally the increase in picture quality is retained if you stream a custom firmware equipped Foxsat-HDR (with nowsters patch installed) to a a G2 box. The issue is the processing softens the output over HDMI, the recordings are identical.

6. Uplift

Uplift

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I didn't know the HDR-1100S had Wifi? I have one wired and it works fine. It's quite responsive and generally works well. I'm not a fan of it overall but it beats paying for Sky.

7. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Coming from a Sky HD box to Humax HB-1100S in 2017, the 1100S is slow & clunky as hell - its my first ever Humax freesat box so can't compare it to earlier Humax boxes. However you get used to it and its probably worth it when you consider the savings versus Sky. One huge advantage of the 1100S is that you can get Netflix USA on it via a DNS unblocking service such as Unblockus. I imagine this is due to the Freesat OS being Linux based, such DNS services hardly work anymore on other boxes such as Nvidia Shield TV (Android based).