Humax FVP-5000T Freeview Play PVR Review & Comments

Looks like it's the usual Humax interface design. Being able to group recordings by the day of the week is worth including but an alphabetical list isn't.

Still, at least the remote now has the core functionality - a button to access the recordings - that the 4000T lacked. It's just a shame it's shuffled out of the way at the top in favour of a Netflix button, providing functionality just one click away through from the On Demand button right next to it!

Have they added the option to re-order the channel numbers? That's one of the things that annoys me about the 4000T.

And can the box now stream HD recordings over DLNA? The 4000T was limited to SD and only the H3 box could stream the HD ones.

Looks like it's the usual Humax interface design. Being able to group recordings by the day of the week is worth including but an alphabetical list isn't.

Still, at least the remote now has the core functionality - a button to access the recordings - that the 4000T lacked. It's just a shame it's shuffled out of the way at the top in favour of a Netflix button, providing functionality just one click away through from the On Demand button right next to it!

Have they added the option to re-order the channel numbers? That's one of the things that annoys me about the 4000T.

And can the box now stream HD recordings over DLNA? The 4000T was limited to SD and only the H3 box could stream the HD ones.

Recordings list can be displayed as all, specific channel or day of the week.

No option to re-order channel numbers and you can't stream HD recordings either only SD.

I think that all later Humax boxes are locked to 50Hz for Netflix output, at least that seems to be the case on my HB1000S and HDR1100. I can't say that I've noticed any picture issues. On my Amazon FireTV box I have the output set to 60Hz which seems to get rid of the occasional picture judder, but if I use 50Hz then I do see issues. Perhaps the app in the Humax box has been tweaked somehow to negate this type of problem.

Clem

i wonder if they will do a version for freesat connections ?.....that way i can get rid of my old sky box

One is in the pipeline for this year.

Freesat plans third generation set-top-box - a516digital

Freesat is a bit more complex as you can't split a feed to a lnb normally a 8 tuner box would require 8 cables to the lnb though there are ways around it using special lnb's. eg Sky-Q lnb can feed multiple tuners using two cables and a unicable lnb up to 32 tuners using a single coax.

Wonder when u are back you can help advise on a brand new Humax 5000 purchased last week. For starters it seemed weird it already had recordings on the hard drive but we’ve noticed that on certain occasions when you click on settings the user interface suddenly disappears... you can only just see the settings options, when you exit the guide and all menus are only just about visible... when you reboot it fixes the issue... so we did a manufactures reset and then clicked back on settings and the same thing happened... please advise..

Wonder when u are back you can help advise on a brand new Humax 5000 purchased last week. For starters it seemed weird it already had recordings on the hard drive but we’ve noticed that on certain occasions when you click on settings the user interface suddenly disappears... you can only just see the settings options, when you exit the guide and all menus are only just about visible... when you reboot it fixes the issue... so we did a manufactures reset and then clicked back on settings and the same thing happened... please advise..

If it's got recordings already on it, someone has returned it most likely because it's faulty. The retailer you bought it from is commiting a fraud. Insist on a unused and sealed replacement. If you paid with a credit card contact your card provider and ask for a full refund. Buy from a reputable source like John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

Was purchased from Tesco.. wouldn’t buy anything like this from an un-reputable company..

Was purchased from Tesco.. wouldn’t buy anything like this from an un-reputable company..

Any company that provides a used returned box as new is disreputable. Supermarkets aren't exactly known for having sales people that are well trained, just like Currys group they are box shifters.

John Lewis will deliver for free to a location near you.

How easy are these to set up - 79 year old parent is looking for one.

How easy are these to set up - 79 year old parent is looking for one.

Very easy. Just connect the aerial and a hdmi cable to the TV, ideally also connect to a home network so you can use the catch up services. Power on the TV and select the hdmi input the box is connected to.

Turn on the box and follow the on screen prompts.

Hey @Mark Hodgkinson I didn't see any mention of HDR support. Any details on that?

It's not specified as a 4K capable box. It does have upscaled 4K output (not hdr) but it was disabled in software update shortly after the launch of the 4000T. There's not likely to be any HDR available in 1080p/i.

Hi, this is for grahamlthompson,
I have the same problem as Chirper with the FVP 5000, losing the picture on picture when the guide or freeview play, on Demand etc is selected, I contacted Humax and was asked to Factory reset, it was alright for a day or so then I had to reboot again then it was OK for a while, Technical services said if it keeps happening then return the item, Ive only had the unit for 7 days, it seems like the unit can't take fast input I like the unit but this is a deal-breaker, I had to replace the unit because the HDR Fox T2 I have failed, I know you have a Fox T2 is it worth getting repaired? I can't access the hard drive its greyed out in the settings menu, the tuner is OK. I would like to keep the Fox T2 if poss.
Any help appreciated. Graham Stagg.

Last edited:
Hi, this is for grahamlthompson,
I have the same problem as Chirper with the FVP 5000, losing the picture on picture when the guide or freeview play, on Demand etc is selected, I contacted Humax and was asked to Factory reset, it was alright for a day or so then I had to reboot again then it was OK for a while, Technical services said if it keeps happening then return the item, Ive only had the unit for 7 days, it seems like the unit can't take fast input I like the unit but this is a deal-breaker, I had to replace the unit because the HDR Fox T2 I have failed, I know you have a Fox T2 is it worth getting repaired? I can't access the hard drive its greyed out in the settings menu, the tuner is OK. I would like to keep the Fox T2 if poss.
Any help appreciated. Graham Stagg.

If you disconnect the hard drive on the HDR-FOX-T2 will the box boot and work as a non recording box, if so it just need a new HDD? Does your HDR-FOX-T2 have the custom firmware add on installed ?

Hi Graham,
It already runs as a tuner but if I could be sure it was the hard drive and not a software problem I would replace the hard drive, I don't know if it has the custom firmware installed, also any ideas on the FVP problem, have you had this happen?
Cheers Graham.

Hi Graham,
It already runs as a tuner but if I could be sure it was the hard drive and not a software problem I would replace the hard drive, I don't know if it has the custom firmware installed, also any ideas on the FVP problem, have you had this happen?
Cheers Graham.

Not seen anything like your FVP box issue. A PC booted into Linux with the drive in a cradle could be used to check the drive and may be even fix any errors. Other than that I can only suggest you try a new hard drive. It's very unusual for the drive controller to fail on a Foxsat so a good chance a new HDD will work.

If you have the CF you would have installed it yourself and get a message on the display on boot. With this you can check the HDD and pergaps fix any errors.

Seagate Pipeline HD ST1000VM002 -... | ST1000VM002 | £41.99 | Insight UK

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your help, is the Seagate pipeline ST1000VM002 1TB the hard drive that you would recommend to replace the HDR T2 drive? also is it a big job to replace, if I needed an engineer to do the job it might make it prohibitive on cost, what do you think.
Cheers Graham.

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your help, is the Seagate pipeline ST1000VM002 1TB the hard drive that you would recommend to replace the HDR T2 drive? also is it a big job to replace, if I needed an engineer to do the job it might make it prohibitive on cost, what do you think.
Cheers Graham.

If you can use a screwdriver it's a very simple job (10 min job). The Seagate pipeline is designed for pvr use.

Thanks Graham, But I've only got the first part, if I could see inside the box as to connections etc,but it looks the way to go.
Regards Graham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Graham,
I was able to change the hard drive on the Fox T2 with the seagate pipeline, I sent the FVP 500GB back and replaced it with the 1GB version, I think it is very good but decided that I did not need it right now so maybe I will buy one when the prices drop, but once again thanks very much for your help I would not have considered replacing the HD without your help.
Regards Graham.

Thanks Graham,
I was able to change the hard drive on the Fox T2 with the seagate pipeline, I sent the FVP 500GB back and replaced it with the 1GB version, I think it is very good but decided that I did not need it right now so maybe I will buy one when the prices drop, but once again thanks very much for your help I would not have considered replacing the HD without your help.
Regards Graham.

It's just as easy to fit a 1/2TB Seagate pipeline into a FVP-5000T. I have a 2TB in mine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom