1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax Freeview STbs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Spasmo Cordez, Oct 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Spasmo Cordez

Spasmo Cordez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humax show three Freeview STBs, which is the best for just normal viewing?

F2-FOX T
    F2-1001T
    MG-TU1

I notice that Dabs have the F2-FOX T for $65 and the MG-TU1 for £59, and Empire-direct has them for £68 and £63.

What should I get and who has the best deal?

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  3. Spasmo Cordez

Spasmo Cordez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look and it says that the F2-FOX T is just an ordinary Freeview box and that the MG-TU1 can handle a top-up card (doesn't really mention the F2-1001T).

So the inference is that the MG-TU1 is "better" than the f2-FOX T - so why is it cheaper?

What should I be getting?

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    F2-1001T is probably an old model (notice you did not list a price for that one).

When I purchased the Humax 9200T PVR from Comet recently they had a few different Humax machines in - why not check them out on their display at your local Comet? Cannot tell you which is best - I don't use any of the ones you listed.

5. Spasmo Cordez

Spasmo Cordez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest it's the 9200 that I want to get, but I'd thought that I'd wait for a month or two to allow Humax to get any initial problems sorted out.

However I have a friend who has the 8000 and he thinks that it's brilliant.

So I thought that I'd go for a plain one for the bedroom first (the 9200 will mean that I can get rid of Sky, depending on the wife and Nip-Tuck).

I did try with a £30 cheapie but the responsiveness of the remote was so bad I took it back.

So it's back to the plain Humax models....

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    The 8000 is very very reliable and technically pretty much flawless. Having said that, it is VERY basic; it has pretty much the same limitations as a VCR. You can only either watch OR record one thing at once as it only has one tuner. If you are recording, you can't play back a previous recording.......and so on. These are features pretty well taken for granted nowadays, and aren't offered. It may be it's gross simplicity that gives it its reliability; I gather the 9200 isn't yet free of lock-ups or other failure to record.

If you want a PVR now, then, based on what's been written here and elsewhere by others, the Fusion PVRT200 is probably the one to buy, right now.