Humax Freeview/Freesat menus with HDMI switcher - strangeness

oxonjeff

I have discovered some odd behaviour with my Humax Fox T2 HD-R and Foxsat HD-R

They are both connected to an HDMI switcher ( i ran out of HDMI inputs on Samsung UA8000 ). When both Humaxes are powered on, and say i'm currently viewing Fox T2 , if i press the MENU button on the Fox T2, the HDMI switcher box swaps to the Foxsat.

Its is the same in reverse. Watching Foxsat and press menu, switcher box swaps over to Fox T2. I've not noticed this before, so have i done something internally to either box, or some setting in the TV thats enabled this ?

The HDMI box is a simple affair with a remote, and the remote just has a power on button and 4 buttons for 4 different HDMI sources. I only use 2. There's no menu that can be changed.

If i turn off one of the Humax boxes, the menu button works on the other as per normal

oxonjeff

Thanks, but its not cured anything. Changed Satbox to mode 6 and Fox T2 to Mode 1

I still cannot press either box's menu button if both boxes are powered on, because the menu button on either just makes the HDMI switcher swap to the other box. Its mental !!

So basically, if, say, the Foxsat is recording something, while i watch live TV on the T2, i cannot use the T2 menu button, and of course this is the same vice versa.

Very strange indeed

oxonjeff

OK, I took the Foxsat off the HDMI switcher and now i have the Blu Ray on the switcher with Fox T2.

Same problem. If Blu Ray and T2 are both on and i'm watching the T2 and press MENU, the switcher swaps to the Blu Ray. I really dont understand this.

There cannot be any confusion between the remotes of the Humax T2 and Sony Blu Ray , surely ?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Mayhap the Menu {IR code} is telling the switcher to 'step to next live input' when both are on.
When only one on there's no other 'live' input to change to??
Blutak or similar to cover the switcher IR port might confirm?

oxonjeff

Yes, the switcher has taken over both Humaxes Menu buttons, when both powered on, and using the Menu buttons as if i was using the switcher remote to change source. As i posted, it now does it with just one of the Humax boxes on , plus the Blu Ray

I'll try the cover up method and see if what you say confirms

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Presumably you are running Custom Firmware on both the HDR-Fox-T2 and Foxsat-HDR? ***

Therefore you can use the WebIF "IR remotes" for the occasions you may need the <Menu> button? (May need installing the ir packages?)
These transmit over the ip network to the units.

*** If not consider doing so?

oxonjeff

No custom FW.. i'm not really that techy, and just want standard factory boxes.

As for the test Rodders, i have both the T2 powered on and the Blu Ray, and covered up the IR on the switcher. Strangely, this rendered the T2 remote useless. It wouldn't do a thing, not even power off, so i couldnt use the T2 Menu button, or any button at all. Soon as i took the cover off the switcher IR, i got the T2 remote back.

Its a challenge isnt it ? :cool:

oxonjeff

I'm being a bit finnicky, as i dont really need to have the T2 on when watching Blu Ray, and the menu button on the T2 is not something i constantly need to fiddle with. Just have to live with it.

oxonjeff

Just adding another weirdo action. With just the Fox T2 on, no other sources, i did a channel search to update all the changes that keep happening on Freeview.

I've done this countless times, as everyone else has had to do, and once the channels are saved, i go into system and delete channels i didnt want.

This means entering the pin. It's always been default pin, which was 0000, but now i have this switcher, when i hit the first 0, it turned the switcher off, and therefore the HDMI connection to the TV, so the screen just showed a connection problem message.

I finally figured out, with some head scratching, how i was going to get the pin entered.

Press the first 0, switcher powers off. Power switcher back on there on the screen is the pin again, but with one 0 entered, so carried on with second 0, switcher powers off, and so on. Eventually i got into the edit channel bit, and also changed my pin, obviously :laugh:

What a faff. I discovered , after some days on Google, that my particular HDMI box has fixed Auto Switching, and this is the problem. I didnt know anything about this until it was a problem, but there are better boxes out there where Auto Switching can be disabled.

I bought a £22 SGEYR 3 in 1 out HDMI 2.0 4k switcher and the Auto Switching cannot be disabled, when i should have bought one of the Awakelion £39 Intelligent Auto switchers. Auto switching can be turned off on these.

Live and learn

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Eureka! (I think).

SOME of the Humax remote codes seem to match those of the hdmi switcher remote.

Humax has option for 8 different 'sets' to allow 2 (or more) Humaxes in the same room. Consider trying alternative set(s)?

I get similar issues with an amp in the kitchen's remote changing some led striplights colours etc.,.

oxonjeff

Ah, it seems that's for 2 humax boxes in the same room, but this is about the HDMI switcher and the Fox T2.
As noted earlier, i did the code swap, ( i didnt realise they were called 'sets' ) but it didnt fix anything, because its the switcher that is the problem, rather than 2 Humax boxes.

Do you think changing the code again ( i set Fox T2 to code 1, see above in earlier post) will stop the switcher from taking over bits of the Fox T2 remote ?

I suppose it wont hurt to change the Fox remote to 2,3,4 or 5 and see if the switcher tries it's games again. Foxsat is on 6 so wont use that

oxonjeff

OK, a quick code change to number 5 for Fox T2 remote. Pretended to Edit Channels which needs a pin. I pressed zero, ( wrong pin now, as i changed it ) as if it were the default factory pin, and same thing happened. The switcher powered off, therefore disconnecting the HDMI signal from the TV.

The switcher likes the Zero number on the Fox T2 remote for some reason. I'll try another code change for the T2 remote, as i have 2, 3, and 4 numbers left to try, but i think this is going to do nothing, as the switcher just loves that zero button

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom