Humax freesat "your HD needs formatting" message..HELP!

teknosys

Standard Member
Reaction score
Err... that should read message not massage

just turned on the humax freesat PVR and got screen message "HDD not formatted. formating will start" reluctant to press the YES button as will I lose everything!?!?

on screen it says "BOOT"

have had pvr since Christmas and dont want to lose everything!..can someone please explain what is going on? and what I should do??

Sounds like your HDD drive has failed. As it's under warranty best get it replaced. If it was an older box replacement of the HDD is very easy.

Great!...exactly what I did not want to hear...all my Scandinavian dramas, movies etc:(

Its only 8 months old...My Toppy has been so reliable. have never liked the interface with the humax

Last edited:
Hard drive failures can happen in any equipment.

It is not really the fault of the Humax. It could equally happen to a Topfield.

It's a hard drive failure, that's all. A bore for sure, but as has already been said, these things happen. You could buy another brand tomorrow and have exactly the same thing happen after a short period of time.

As the box is only 8 months old this will be taken care of under warranty. I never make a point of relying on just one box if I have some stuff that I want to hang onto/delay watching. Stupid, possibly, but having worked for so long in IT and see drives fail, having a backup is always sensible.

Clem

well I spoke to there so called customer support..was asked to re format and check if recording worked which seems alright.... and chap said FINE! thats OK then! I said sorry but I want a replacement he says no... not for a corrupted HD. I mean will this happen again? what are the chances if it has done it once? I simply dont trust it!

well I spoke to there so called customer support..was asked to re format and check if recording worked which seems alright.... and chap said FINE! thats OK then! I said sorry but I want a replacement he says no... not for a corrupted HD. I mean will this happen again? what are the chances if it has done it once? I simply dont trust it!

I think the chances are it will happen again.

As I dont really understand called them again: they repeated it was because of a corrupt broadcast and nothing to do with them...... and I said if this was the case why had they not had 100's of phone calls with corrupt HD's if it was a broadcast issue!

EDIT:

just spoke to supervisor and had frank exchange of views...being replaced tommorow

Last edited:
As I dont really understand called them again: they repeated it was because of a corrupt broadcast and nothing to do with them...... and I said if this was the case why had they not had 100's of phone calls with corrupt HD's if it was a broadcast issue!

EDIT:

just spoke to supervisor and had frank exchange of views...being replaced tommorow

Hi

Well done !

There was a problem with Crystal Palace sending out corrupted broadcasts on some HD back in 2011 but as you say that affected a lot of people and was rectified by a conversation between a very big name and the transmission company - The affected recordings had to be deleted to prevent them messing up others but a Format wasn't required.

As you might think if there are physical problems with a hard disc then they will probably come back after a format and you will just get more problems over time.

Good luck with the replacement
Pete

Tempted to put it straight on ebay as its new and buy something better.....

What is the best HD satellite PVR out there please???

Tempted to put it straight on ebay as its new and buy something better.....

What is the best HD satellite PVR out there please???

You already bought it :D

They all have HDD's. You were unlucky to get such an early failure. I fitted a 1TB into mine Nov 2008, no problems so far.

once you have set up a recording with the toppy, and a new series of something starts, it automatically records new series....I cant see a way of doing this on Humax??

I ask because I'm retired and go away to Europe in campervan for long periods, and with the EPG you just cant see far enough ahead!

once you have set up a recording with the toppy, and a new series of something starts, it automatically records new series....I cant see a way of doing this on Humax??

I ask because I'm retired and go away to Europe in campervan for long periods, and with the EPG you just cant see far enough ahead!

The webinterface for the Foxsat-hdr has the capability to set recording reservations remotely using the internet.

Why don't you take the Foxsat with you and use a portable dish ?

Satellite for caravans. (Satellite TV at home and abroad)

The capability on a Toppy relies on a third party TAP and if I remember rightly it's based on fairly crude text comparison. Freesat+ And Freeview+ pvrs can't do this out of the box.

Virgins Tivo has a similar capability. Tell it you like housy programmes and in no time you have hdd full of recordings :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom