Question Humax Freesat HDR1000s No power!

swift1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
not sure what's happened to it but it dies all of a sudden yesterday and I have left it unplugged overnight, I then tried without the HDD but no joy!
Any help will be much appreciated.

Your title says no power. You need to get some of that to the box. Mains fuse?
Or didn't you really mean what the title says?

Everything was working fine then all of a sudden the power light on the box went out, as I said....I then left it unplugged overnight, no joy, then used a different power cable again no joy, unplugged the HDD and nothing!
I know there is power going in there because as soon as the power cable is plugged in the ethernet cable plugged into the back of the box lights up.

I just spoke with Humax, they reckon it's the box but cannot offer any support do to the fact they no longer make freesat boxes. What a load of ****
I now have to fork out for a new box.

It could be the power supply - sometimes they can still give a voltage but insufficient amps. You could try a replacement.

I already tried another power supply but the same I'm afraid.

It could be the power supply - sometimes they can still give a voltage but insufficient amps. You could try a replacement.

I think I'll give that a go, any recommendations?

All that matters is that it's the same voltage, the same or higher current supply and the same sized plug with the same polarity as the original.
The details should be stamped on or printed on a label on the body of the old psu.

Thanks Jaycee.
Is this a common issues with this unit then ?

It's not a common issue, but these are real mass produced units.
Do you have a multimeter you could test it with?

I do have a multi meter however no idea how to test it.

But not as easy as Volts as you have to 'break into' one of the supply lines.

But not as easy as Volts as you have to 'break into' one of the supply lines.

Plus, you would need to know a typical current draw of a good working unit.

Last edited:
As swift1 admits that he does not fully know how to use a multimeter we are on hiding to nothing here methinks.
Does the 1000 have an external PSU? If not, it seems to me that a 'repair man' is required.

Hi there Guys, it is an external power supply.
Thanks

Have you tried an alternative one? (With quite a lot of straw grasping and not a lot of hope going on here)

I tried one from a Sony Blu Ray player but later realised it only has 800ma as opposed to the 4amp required for the box.

I tried one from a Sony Blu Ray player but later realised it only has 800ma as opposed to the 4amp required for the box.

That was silly.
ALWAYS check the label on a psu before using it.

Lol, I now know!

Yes, being an external unit, just disconnect it from the Humax and set the multimeter to DC amps which will probably involve connecting the positive probe to a different Multimeter connector.
Measure the power using the probes, one inside and one outside the power supply connector.

Here is a video to help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom