Humax Freesat HDR, Spanish FTA & 2nd Receiver

ArgieBargieUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just got a Humax Freesat HDR box and want to get a dish installed. An added bonus would be access to some basic Spanish channels but I don’t want 2 dishes or a motorised system to get Hispasat. From searching the forums I believe I can get this from Astra1 using an 80cm dish.

I asked for a quote from a local installer and also asked about the option of installing an extra point in the bedroom in case I get a tv in there in the future (no intention to use a pvr there).

He’s proposed 2 single LNBs and a 2 way DiSEqC switch. I’m a complete newbie to satellite but would like to understand if I go for the extra bedroom point would Freesat+ and Freesat receivers be able to work fully independently on this set up? I thought 2 duo LNBs would be needed. Does the switch get round this? Would it be different if you wanted to run 2 pvrs off the 1 dish?

Thanks!

Basiacally you need a quad lnb aligned on 28.2/28.5E using two outputs for each pvr, and a offset single lnb for Astra 1.

The diseqc switch selects the correct lnb for the channel you want to watch. Say you fitted it to the Foxsat-hdr tuner 1 in freesat mode both tuners will be selected to 28.2/28.5E, changing modes to non-freesat the stb will switch lnbs between 28.2/28.5 and 19.2E depending which channel you choose to watch

Basiacally you need a quad lnb aligned on 28.2/28.5E using two outputs for each pvr, and a offset single lnb for Astra 1.

The diseqc switch selects the correct lnb for the channel you want to watch. Say you fitted it to the Foxsat-hdr tuner 1 in freesat mode both tuners will be selected to 28.2/28.5E, changing modes to non-freesat the stb will switch lnbs between 28.2/28.5 and 19.2E depending which channel you choose to watch
Graham,

Thanks, I thought I'd need a quad aligned the Freesat satellite for 2 pvrs. Wouldn't I need at least a twin LNB aligned to Astra1 if I wanted the option to watch something and record something both on Astra1 at the same time (I understand that it would have to be done manually)? Also if I wanted to have that option on both pvrs I'd need a second quad.

Thanks again!

Yes you would need at least a pair of lnbs for a twin tuner pvr aligned on each satellite you want to record two at once from. In the case of the hdr you would fit a diseqc switch on each tuner input with a 28.2 and 19.2 connected to each switch. Remember though that there is no timer recording in non-freesat mode so setting up two recordimgs from 19.2E is going to be pretty awkward as you have to start them manually.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom