Humax Freesat HDR, Spanish FTA & 2nd Receiver

ArgieBargieUK

Standard Member
I have just got a Humax Freesat HDR box and want to get a dish installed. An added bonus would be access to some basic Spanish channels but I don’t want 2 dishes or a motorised system to get Hispasat. From searching the forums I believe I can get this from Astra1 using an 80cm dish.

I asked for a quote from a local installer and also asked about the option of installing an extra point in the bedroom in case I get a tv in there in the future (no intention to use a pvr there).

He’s proposed 2 single LNBs and a 2 way DiSEqC switch. I’m a complete newbie to satellite but would like to understand if I go for the extra bedroom point would Freesat+ and Freesat receivers be able to work fully independently on this set up? I thought 2 duo LNBs would be needed. Does the switch get round this? Would it be different if you wanted to run 2 pvrs off the 1 dish?

Thanks!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Basiacally you need a quad lnb aligned on 28.2/28.5E using two outputs for each pvr, and a offset single lnb for Astra 1.

The diseqc switch selects the correct lnb for the channel you want to watch. Say you fitted it to the Foxsat-hdr tuner 1 in freesat mode both tuners will be selected to 28.2/28.5E, changing modes to non-freesat the stb will switch lnbs between 28.2/28.5 and 19.2E depending which channel you choose to watch

ArgieBargieUK

Standard Member
Basiacally you need a quad lnb aligned on 28.2/28.5E using two outputs for each pvr, and a offset single lnb for Astra 1.

The diseqc switch selects the correct lnb for the channel you want to watch. Say you fitted it to the Foxsat-hdr tuner 1 in freesat mode both tuners will be selected to 28.2/28.5E, changing modes to non-freesat the stb will switch lnbs between 28.2/28.5 and 19.2E depending which channel you choose to watch
Graham,

Thanks, I thought I'd need a quad aligned the Freesat satellite for 2 pvrs. Wouldn't I need at least a twin LNB aligned to Astra1 if I wanted the option to watch something and record something both on Astra1 at the same time (I understand that it would have to be done manually)? Also if I wanted to have that option on both pvrs I'd need a second quad.

Thanks again!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Yes you would need at least a pair of lnbs for a twin tuner pvr aligned on each satellite you want to record two at once from. In the case of the hdr you would fit a diseqc switch on each tuner input with a 28.2 and 19.2 connected to each switch. Remember though that there is no timer recording in non-freesat mode so setting up two recordimgs from 19.2E is going to be pretty awkward as you have to start them manually.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom