Humax Freesat HD copy protection.

Hunt

Standard Member
Is there anything that can break the HD copy protection yet?

If it is BBC stuff I do not see why I should not be able to copy it off onto a DVD for my use; I have paid for it with my licence.

Last edited by a moderator:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Other than using non-freesat mode to record without encryption in the first place the answer is No. Not likely to be either as it's box unique. You could of course record the content using a dvdr.

Is there anything that can break the HD copy protection yet?

If it is BBC stuff I do not see why I should not be able to copy it off onto a DVD for my use; I have paid for it with my licence.

Your license only entitles you to view television it does not in any way entitle you to break copyright law and make archive copies of that material. The only allowable recordings under copyright law are for time shifting purposes or of material placed in the public domain and merely because material is broadcast subscription free does not mean it is automatically in the public domain.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Your license only entitles you to view television it does not in any way entitle you to break copyright law and make archive copies of that material. The only allowable recordings under copyright law are for time shifting purposes or of material placed in the public domain and merely because material is broadcast subscription free does not mean it is automatically in the public domain.

indeed but the HD encryption imposed by a Freesat/Freeview box is totally pointless. Any generic fta HD pvr will record the free to air (not encrypted) Freesat transmission. Similary a DVB-T2 computer card will do the same.

It's not even equally applied across platforms, if you can afford it a Panny Freesat+ DVD/Blu-ray will copy the content to blank discs.

As a anti piracy measure it has zero affect.

Last edited:

debitcardmayhem

Novice Member
indeed but the HD encryption imposed by a Freesat/Freeview box is totally pointless. Any generic fta HD pvr will record the free to air (not encrypted) Freesat transmission. Similary a DVB-T2 computer card will do the same.

It's not even equally applied across platforms, if you can afford it a Panny Freesat+ DVD/Blu-ray will copy the content to blank discs.

But it is a 100% effective in winding up :devil:

Jonathonp

I am puzzled by your statements that "the HD encryption imposed by a Freesat/Freeview box is totally pointless." and " As a anti piracy measure it has zero affect".

I have had a Panny Freesat Bluray DMR BS 750 for 2 years and this is what I have found:

1.You cannot get any HD recording off the machine in HD quality that is flagged by the broadcaster as "Zero Copy" and that includes non-Freesat mode broadcasts which I have recorded and have that flag.

2.You can get one HD copy off the machine to a Bluray Disc in HD quality (DR, or H*) from a broadcast flagged as a "One Copy", but you cannot get copies from that Bluray Disc to a PC as the anti-copying goes with the disc.

3.You can get as many copies from HDD to Bluray Disc in HD quality as you wish in "No Flag" broadcasts within that machine, but even in that event, you cannot get copies from that Bluray Disc to a PC as the anti-copying goes with the disc.

As much as I dislike these restrictions, they do limit serial copying of HD content on these machines by the average user at least but probably not the determined cloners.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
2.You can get one HD copy off the machine to a Bluray Disc in HD quality (DR, or H*) from a broadcast flagged as a "One Copy", but you cannot get copies from that Bluray Disc to a PC as the anti-copying goes with the disc.

You miss the point you can pass the one off copy to other owners of the same machine and replay it (including your own if you can afford two).

Owners of two foxsat-hdrs can copy the recordings once to a usb drive.

Their other Foxsat-hdr which they own cannot play it back.

Not exactly a level playing field :eek:

swedish cook

Novice Member
Basic fact is that the guys who want to make HD film copies and flog them on the market, in the pub or on ebay will just rip a BluRay. Those who are misguided enough to make copies from Satellite need only use a PC card or generic HD recorder, these are cheaper than a HDR.

I'd agree with Graham 100% "As a anti piracy measure it has zero affect.". Totally ridiculous and just designed to wind up Freesat+ owners.

Jonathonp

Those who are misguided enough to make copies from Satellite need only use a PC card or generic HD recorder, these are cheaper than a HDR.

As I do not have a " generic HD recorder " , I assume you are talking about a non - Freesat HD PVR?
If so, how do you copy from that to another device in HD? and then to a bluray disc?
Are you saying that these machines totally ignore the broadcast flags which exist even on some FTA broadcasts?
Can you identify an example unit?
Thanks

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
As I do not have a " generic HD recorder " , I assume you are talking about a non - Freesat HD PVR?
If so, how do you copy from that to another device in HD? and then to a bluray disc?
Are you saying that these machines totally ignore the broadcast flags which exist even on some FTA broadcasts?
Can you identify an example unit?
Thanks

The so called broadcast flags require a Freesat/Freeview box to even recognise they are present, let alone respond to them.

Any of the dozens of generic HD satellite boxes that are pvr ready will record free to air content as is.

You can record any of the HD channels using a Foxsat-hdr without encryption by simply switching to non-freesat mode and rebooting the box.

HD recordings are then standard H264/AVC files in a transport stream container. Essentially identical but at a lower bitrate to those produced by an AVCHD high definition camcorder.

These files can be

Copied to USB and transferred to a PC

Ftp'd to a PC using the patched firmware

Streamed across the network using the same patched firmware.

Once on a PC short content (up to about 40 min for a single layer, double for a dual layer) can be burnt losslessly to a DVD blank using the AVCHD codec. Any modern blu-ray player will replay 1080i AVCHD content on a DVD blank. Longer content requires a blu-ray burner to commit to a optical disc.

Just keeping the file on a PC allows streaming of the content to a suitable device. A networked PS3 will stream the file to a HD TV.

Like I said it's a complete farce.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom