Humax Freesat+ Audio through HDMI?

surfymark

It has been brought to my attention that the Sky+ HD box only outputs digital audio through the optical out connection and not through the HDMI cable.

This surprised me and I just wondered if the same is true for the Humax Freesat+ box?

I am in the process of buying a home cinema amp and it looks like I would need to connect a Sky+ HD box (if I had one) via both HDMI and optical leads. Would I need to do the same for the Humax Freesat+ box?

Also, on a similar subject, what about the PS3 or other Blu-ray players? How would I find this out (can't seem to find much about it)?

cheers
Mark

mccg

The Humax HDR send all audio through both SPDIF & HDMI.
I have HDMI only connected (through my amp), and get DD5.1 sound fine (on the odd occasion that it is broadcast :).
(unlike the broken Sky HD implementation)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
It has been brought to my attention that the Sky+ HD box only outputs digital audio through the optical out connection and not through the HDMI cable.

This surprised me and I just wondered if the same is true for the Humax Freesat+ box?

I am in the process of buying a home cinema amp and it looks like I would need to connect a Sky+ HD box (if I had one) via both HDMI and optical leads. Would I need to do the same for the Humax Freesat+ box?

Also, on a similar subject, what about the PS3 or other Blu-ray players? How would I find this out (can't seem to find much about it)?

cheers
Mark

The PS3 and blu-ray players output digital audio over hdmi to the max decoding capability of your AV receiving equipment.

Newoldie

Standard Member
As a slight diversion from this question can I ask if there is any great difference between using the HDMI and SPDIF for the 5.1 sound provided by BBC HD?
If not then could I "get away" with buying a slightly outdated AVR that does not decode audio from HDMI or am I simply storing up problems for the future?

I don't watch a huge number of DVDs and a good 5.1 is all I ask.

bertiespiv

Standard Member
You wiil indeed need to connect via something other than just HDMI (I was under the same impression that HDMI did everything). The optical connection is the answer but the freesat HDR has only one optical connection so you may need some additional hardware to connect other units.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
As a slight diversion from this question can I ask if there is any great difference between using the HDMI and SPDIF for the 5.1 sound provided by BBC HD?
If not then could I "get away" with buying a slightly outdated AVR that does not decode audio from HDMI or am I simply storing up problems for the future?

I don't watch a huge number of DVDs and a good 5.1 is all I ask.

In performance there is no difference it's the same digital stream. It's merely a matter of convenience depending on what equipment you have which affects your choice. For instance if you are connecting to an amp which supports multi hdmi inputs (and possibly scaling to 1080p) it makes sense to use hdmi for the sound. If you are merely using the amp to process the digital sound with the hdmi connected directly to a display use the spdif.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
You wiil indeed need to connect via something other than just HDMI (I was under the same impression that HDMI did everything). The optical connection is the answer but the freesat HDR has only one optical connection so you may need some additional hardware to connect other units.

You seem to be saying that HDMI from the Humax doesn't carry 5.1, however it does:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/928241-foxsat-hd-sound-over-hdmi.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/891758-dolby-digital-5-1-question.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/786419-humax-foxsat-hd-connections.html

AFAIK its only SkyHD boxes that have crippled the HDMI output to stereo only, necessitating the need for an alternative digital connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom