humax freesat and how to attach a mem pen

clem58

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently installed the freesat humax 250gb box. I want to attach a external hdd or mem pen, i plug it into to box and the it asks me to format thru my pc. This i do using easus formater, i format it to fat32 put the mem stick back in to freesat box to which it again asks me to format usin my pc. Can any of you guys tell me where i'm goin wrong? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLIES.:rolleyes:

Hi, take a lok at this thread....should point you in the right direction.
Hope this helps. Jamie :D

Links to other forums not allowed.
Some of our Humax enthusiasts will tell you the answer direct, sooner or later.

Then it's jolly nice of other forums to allow links to this one then. Cross linking seems to be a very useful feature, and it seems a bit short sighted not to allow it here. I got here from a link in Hummy dot tv. And I see we do allow advertising links to Amazon

Last edited:
I got this forum thru a link from digital kaos, thanks for your replies folks.:hiya:

Well pardon me for trying to help............:blush:

I was told it was ok to post links to other sites in computer forum....by a mod!!

Last edited:

Funny that, I also had a PM from another moderator on this site that said that a genuine attempt with a link to another forum to help a poster rather than an obvious promotion for another forum would be acceptable.

Mixed messages :confused:, perhaps you ought to talk to your colleagues and work out some rules we can all understand :confused:

You frequently post links to www.joinfreesat.co.uk.

Another forum run by a poster in many other similar forums (ian-d), no connection at all with the official Freesat website. Why is this one any different ? :eek:

Its hardly immoral or illegal activity, does anyone really care.:confused:

Why not just give OP the answer to his question?

Why not just give OP the answer to his question?
Why not answer the questions that you have been asked? And perhaps point out the specific forum rule that disallows this. I can't find one, but perhaps I'm wrong (as usual)

Last edited:
Here you go. I'll have the first stab at answering the warmonger's question then.
I recently installed the freesat humax 250gb box. I want to attach a external hdd or mem pen, i plug it into to box and the it asks me to format thru my pc. This i do using easus formater, i format it to fat32 put the mem stick back in to freesat box to which it again asks me to format usin my pc. Can any of you guys tell me where i'm goin wrong?
You are probably not going wrong. It is generally rumoured that the Foxsat is a bit 'picky' about memory pens. Or have you actually tried an external hdd? If you use a FAT32 formatted external HDD, there is a limit imposed by FAT 32 of a 4Gb filesize which frequently is not enough for an hour of HD.

Apologies to those offended .. I directed the orig posters Q. to this forum . He needed help . . I thought the best place to ask was here.

- - - - - - -

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."

I don't think anyone is offended by the question. The main 'problem' seems to be that a moderator has removed the link that gave the OP a pointer to the solution to his problem in a different forum to AV, despite the fact that there does not appear to be any AV forum rule that prohibits or discourages this (apart from blatent advertising).

Welcome to AVF icepick - and thanks but you haven't offended anyone - and you have nothing to apologise for.
It is a good place to point him to, and normally he would get a lot of answers, but in this case there's been only one.

It's forum policy not to link to forums of a similar type to this.
Advertising is allowed only to those who register for it.

Last edited:
It's forum policy not to link to forums of a similar type to this.
Then surely this should be stated unabiuously in the forum rules. OOops, Just read rule 16:mad:

You can overcome the 4G size limit of a single file by using an ext3 filesystem.
As long as your pen drive or hard disk already contains a partion you can plug it into the USB port on the foxsat, telnet or SSH into the foxsat and then issue

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

To do this, you need to have Raydons Media bundle 4.04 installed, be familiar with telnet or SSH and also unmount the drive first.
The command:

mount

will identify drive e.g. /dev/sda1 and also show mount point e.g.
/media/sda1

You first unmount the drive
umount /media/sda1

then create the ext3 file system:

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

I already tried this on my pen drive, and it works. There is a minor bug, after converting to ext3 the message displayed on TV says,
pen drive not recogised use PC to format as fat32 or ext3

This can be ignored and you are able to reda/write to the drive via a samba network.

i'm not up to speed on this subject, but it did cross my mind that the foxsat box didn't like my pen. I have a 1tb hdd ( my daughter has it at the min) this is what i plan to use permanently for all my files. I have virgin at the minute and plan on disconnecting them if i can get this hdd connected so that i can download all my tv to it. So if one of you guys don't mind posting me a step by step guide as to how i should be doin this then maybe i'll see where i might be going wrong.Thanks for your assistance with this. :lesson:

:)

clem58: As you've had only two attempts at an answer I'll have a try myself. "As long as your....hard disk already contains a partition" is an important point from hal8000 so you do need to make sure you have one on the drive, and then all I have to do on my machines is run their format option, but hal8000 says there's a lot more to it on the Humax, so you'll have to give all that a try.

Last edited:
:)

clem58: As you've had only two attempts at an answer I'll have a try myself. "As long as your....hard disk already contains a partition" is an important point from hal8000 so you do need to make sure you have one on the drive, and then all I have to do on my machines is run their format option, but hal8000 says there a lot more to it on the Humax, so you'll have to give all that a try.

Thanks i'll give it a go ans let you know how i got on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom