Humax FoxSatHDR coming Monday and I'm nervous..

ndenbow

Hi All,

I'm not getting a comfortable feeling about the Humax FoxSat HD HDR. In summary;

1. There seems to be an awful lot of random technical issues, i.e. simultaneous recordings not working, shcedules being wiped, ITV HD not available etc.
2. Very little 'insider' knowledge regarding Humax software/firmware development to fix the issues. Where are the spies? I need to know that this thing is going to get continuous improvement.
3. SD PQ not great?

I have decided to ditch Sky and save myself £40/month. I have no issues giving up certain channels and managing a 'quirky' EPG, but I want a reliable system and decent PQ at least.

Any thoughts/comments/reassurances?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
1. There seems to be an awful lot of random technical issues, i.e. simultaneous recordings not working, shcedules being wiped, ITV HD not available etc. I have had mine since Dec 08 and it has been perfect.

2. Very little 'insider' knowledge regarding Humax software/firmware development to fix the issues. Where are the spies? I need to know that this thing is going to get continuous improvement. Soon as I plugged it in back in Dec it uploaded a new patch.

3. SD PQ not great? Cobblers, no worse than Sky HD.

Directory of recordings took a while to get used to but now I find it excellent, especially putting whole series into 1 folder automatically.
Also being pre-emptive i.e. press record a program on BBC1 and it offers a HD choice, if the program clashes with two other programs it offers you an alternative recording date/time if available.

Bachstrad

Novice Member
the sd pq isnt great compared to freeview- but its a million times better than sky sd
And there was me thinking we were watching exactly the same channels on Sky SD as Freesat SD. I fail to see how the same channels can be a million times better on Freesat. :confused:

ATB

Max

col996s

Am I the only one who thinks the SD picture from my Hummy is better then Freeview (inbuilt tuner in my Sammy).
Maybe it depends on your Freeview signal strength. I am in a poorish area. I believe that apart from the lack of breakup the stronger the picture the better the quality on Freeview?

ndenbow

I currently run my Sky+ box via S-Video into my Denon receiver, and then out via component to my Fujitsu 58 series plasma (the Fuji is a precision panel and does not have SCART). A lot of people ask me if it's HD and the plasma isn't even ISF calibrated yet! The picture is actually very very good. In fact it murders my neighbours SD picture, who runs a Virgin+ box into his Sony 1080p LCD via HDMI. This is an absolutely perfect example of when pixels does not equal good video performance.

If the PQ quality from the Humax is worse than my current PQ (for SD) then I will be back to report. This is my main concern, although my wife will be the first to complain is she loses recordings :rolleyes:

nwhitfield

Novice Member
Sky, Freesat and Freeview are digital systems; a weak signal on either can lead to break up, but once you have a sufficient signal, then getting more doesn't improve the quality, because there's only a certain amount of information encoded.

The picture depends on the quality of the encoders, and the bit rate used for the channels, and the resolution (number of pixels) that make up the picture.

Broadly speaking, the main channels (BBC, ITV, 4) use higher bit rates on Freeview; in the case of ITV the bit rates on satellite are often substantially lower. Some of the minority channels on Freeview also use low bit rates, and some channels will have a lower resolution than, say, BBC1 too.

The two satellite networks use the same transmissions (with a few exceptions). Broadly speaking, if you're watching a particular ITV or BBC region on Freesat or on Sky, you will be viewing exactly the same data, an any discernible difference will be due to receiver differences, which tend to be pretty minimal.

As far as the original poster's concerns go, isn't it far more usually the case that there's no insider information about new firmwares for many products? What we do know is that Humax do have people working on it, have said as much elsewhere, and have done at least one update since launch already.

Kingymiller

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm not getting a comfortable feeling about the Humax FoxSat HD HDR. In summary;

1. There seems to be an awful lot of random technical issues, i.e. simultaneous recordings not working, shcedules being wiped, ITV HD not available etc.
I have had my STB since Mid December & have had no technical issues. The only problem I have had with Series recording is with Central News. It seems that the series data sent by ITV differentiates between the Weekday & Weekend programs, so it sometimes misses the weekend recording. My understanding is that this is related to the metadata sent & not an issue with the Humax hardware. I have never had a problem with ITV HD not being available. I believe that schedules being wiped only happens if you scan channels in non-Freesat mode.
2. Very little 'insider' knowledge regarding Humax software/firmware development to fix the issues. Where are the spies? I need to know that this thing is going to get continuous improvement.
I saw a post where an employee of Humax was watching the posts & taking feedback. As stated in previous posts, the software upgrades & new channels update "automatically"
3. SD PQ not great?
I think the Picture quality is as good as the Sky+ I ditched & the HD is excellent. I cannot compare to Freeview as I cannot get the signal strength required for Freeview.

I have decided to ditch Sky and save myself £40/month. I have no issues giving up certain channels and managing a 'quirky' EPG, but I want a reliable system and decent PQ at least.
The Picture quality is Good, I found the system far more reliable than SKY+ & the EPG is different to Sky but I wouldn't describe it as quirky. In some respects it is better, as there is a brief programme overview visible without having to press the info button. More detail is available when you do press info.

Any thoughts/comments/reassurances?
Relax, I did the same as you and after almost 2 months have saved over £60 on subscriptions so far & have no regrets & would recommend it to anybody.

TyneBridges

No problems here since early December, except for one crash that a reboot seemed to fix. I'm impressed with the stability of the Freesat signal compared with Freeview.

I agree with this one. I have two feeds on mine and haven't noticed it updating. I can't find any information at all in the FAQs on the Humax web site: every search comes up with zero results.

3. SD PQ not great?
To me it looks better than Freeview on most channels. We're in a poor Freeview reception area, so my assessment of Freeview is influenced by all the audio and video "glitches" and dropouts we have on Freeview but not on Freesat.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom