Humax foxsat remote seems dead. Is it the remote or could it be the box.

PdeG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon.

The remote (RM-108) for my Humax Foxsat HD seems dead. It is only a few months old, although the box itself is several years old. It was working one day and then the following day, nothing. I have put in freshly bought batteries to no avail. No lights, no response. The buttons on the box itself do work, but I am still wondering if it is simply a dead remote or if the box is unable to receive a signal. I am reluctant to buy yet another remote only to find that the box is dead. Is there any way of establishing which is faulty ? I am not able to locate anyone nearby with a similar remote to try out.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Most cameras can 'see' the IR from the remotes as light on the screen. Camera, mobile phone camera, tablet and laptop webcams also.

Use a voltmeter to check the batteries are good and double check they are inserted correct way round. It's been known for batteries to be 'duff' out of a sealed pack.

If the remote is emitting infra red signal then, perhaps, the receiver on the box is faulty? (But check for something obstructing the IR window of the box e.g. dirt or an object).

A quick Google doesn't find similar issues so it's not a common problem as far as I can tell.

Has the remote IR code been changed? There are six.

Most cameras can 'see' the IR from the remotes as light on the screen. Camera, mobile phone camera, tablet and laptop webcams also.

Use a voltmeter to check the batteries are good and double check they are inserted correct way round. It's been known for batteries to be 'duff' out of a sealed pack.

If the remote is emitting infra red signal then, perhaps, the receiver on the box is faulty? (But check for something obstructing the IR window of the box e.g. dirt or an object).

A quick Google doesn't find similar issues so it's not a common problem as far as I can tell.
Many thanks for getting back to me on this so quickly.

I have just tried your suggestion with my camera. Nothing. I have put in some batteries from a second pack. Nothing. Finally, and I should have thought of this before, I tried batteries from a known functioning source, my TV remote. I have also cleaned the IR window on the box.

So I think that, with your help, we have narrowed it to a duff remote.

Thank you again.

Has the remote IR code been changed? There are six.
I didn't know that the code could be changed, much less how to do it. I had assumed that remotes for a particular piece of kit would be already paired, if that's the right word, to it. Is it the sort of code that could have “dropped out” ? If so, is it something that I could re-set myself ? How would I find the correct code ?

Thank you.

BUT as your remote is not emitting any infra red signals that won't help you (and was never your problem).

If the remote is only a few months old then seek a replacement / repair from the seller. These devices shouldn't fail that quickly.

If a lot older I'd suggest iIt might be worth stripping the remote down and looking for dry / broken solder joins on the battery terminals and possibly replacing the IR led? IF you are diy inclined.

I saw a suggestion that seemed weird but worked - take out the batteries and then press each button in turn for three seconds.

Last edited:
If the remote is only a few months old then seek a replacement / repair from the seller. These devices shouldn't fail that quickly.

If a lot older I'd suggest iIt might be worth stripping the remote down and looking for dry / broken solder joins on the battery terminals and possibly replacing the IR led? IF you are diy inclined.

"...a lot older..." Assuming that you are referring to the remote, I'll certainly give it a try. Doubt if I can locate the seller;

I saw a suggestion that seemed weird but worked - take out the batteries and then press every single button for three seconds.
Should I press them one at a time or all at once ????

Good afternoon.

When I asked if I should press them one at a time or all at once, it was slightly tongue in cheek, as I was not certain that your suggestion was not a spoof or at least in a humorous vein. I mean, how on earth are you going to program anything with no power in the system ?

Then I had second thoughts; could this be serious ? What's to lose ?

I tried it and I have to tell the world, IT WORKED !

So my enormous apologies for doubting you and equally enormous thanks.

Best regards
Tony.

p.s. can anyone explain the logic or the function of this ?

Good to have your confirmation that it works!
I’ve still no idea why..

Good to have your confirmation that it works!
I’ve still no idea why..
....a few hours later and it died again. This time the magic button sequence didn't solve it. Thank you for the brief recovery you gave us.

So back to looking for a replacement. Can anyone tell me please if any of the "universal" remotes actually work ?

Are they really capable of controlling other kit at the same time ? In addition to the Humax, I have French equivalent box ( yes, I live in France), an occasionally-used dvd/cd player and a sound bar. It would be nice to clear the clutter of remotes, and avoid constantly picking up the wrong one ! How do they fare in the real world ? Is there one that is better than others ?

Thanks.....anybody ?
The button presses drain any residual power in a capacitor.
Thank you for that explanation. I suspect that many on here, will say, Oh yes of course that's it.

Unfortunately my knowledge of capacitors is limited to little more than knowing that they exist, and what they (usually) look like !

I have two One For All programmable remotes, 4 and 8 devices, they both work Humax devices codes 1 to 6 and many other devices.

Universal remotes all work fine.
They come in all shapes and sizes!

My problem is that none of two remotes, one an original the other a Samsung “smart remote” will always start the humax. They’ll do everything else and will start it soon after being turned off. It all points to the humax and not the remote. It’s quite old and is Foxsat HDR.

Most cameras can 'see' the IR from the remotes as light on the screen.
I know this is 6 months old but for information the operative word here is MOST.
I-phones have infra red filters in their camera lens and cannot be used to check remotes.

My problem is that none of two remotes, one an original the other a Samsung “smart remote” will always start the humax. They’ll do everything else and will start it soon after being turned off. It all points to the humax and not the remote. It’s quite old and is Foxsat HDR.
My -HDR often needs at least two 'ON' blasts of the remote control to start the BOOT process... always has... from full standby.

The original remote PVR LED will light/flash on every button press - as older dirty remotes can have 'intermittent' buttons that is useful to confirm the button works.

Another way to check for a dead remote is to use a medium wave radio, if you still have one!
Tune the radio away from any broadcast, turn up the volume and hold the remote right up to the radio then presss a button on the remote. If the remote is working you will hear it as a change in the noise from the radio.

That proves the driver circuits operates but not that the Infra Red LED is emitting light... so actually proves little; and a camera (phone, tablet, webcam usually responds to IR - Apple$ overpriced tat excepted ;) )
That function can be checked via a known working remote.

Agreed but it does check that the butttons' contacts are ok.
Every failed remote I have had has been down to button failure, the conductive rubber sheet exuding silicone oil. Never ever had a failed LED.

The Humax remote in question has a set of leds (PVR TV DVD and AUDIO) that will flicker when the buttons are pressed in each mode of operation... So no need of the radio for that.

IR emitters fail, as do the IR receivers, of course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom