Humax Foxsat No Freesat (yes again!)

Repassac: 24480, near to Cadouin

Graham: Sorry that wasn't very clear was it. I did the manual scan on 11428 and one of the resulting channels was 999 (Sky info).
My reference to the Freesat scan was that I did this scan after the above manual scan; and during the short period whilst the post code check is carried out, the S & Q shows 100%....another red herring probably!

Steve, looked up maps, you are a bit n/w or me, the west might not help at all.
I would think that your dish alignment is not optimal. Is your dish round or oval?
I think it should do the trick if perfectly aligned (not easy).

Good morning
I am currently waiting for the dew to come off the area of pitch roof that I must traverse before getting to the dish.
However, in the meantime I have been doing a couple of things which throw up questions:

When I enter the Freesat transponder details at 11425 H, press save...should this now be listed in the transponder list? As it happens it doesn't show up again, only 11425 V shows!!

Secondly, last night we watched BBC One West Midlands. According to Kingofsat this is broadcast on 10788 V on Astra 2E, i.e. the same as the Freesat transponder.
On 10788 V (BBC One West Midlands) the S & Q is 90-100%
11425 H has zero for both.

If I can see BBC One West Midlands, why can't the Freesat search not find 11425 H which is on the same satellite? Is it because I can't seem to get 11425 H listed in the transponder list?

Sorry if the above is another red herring.....a little knowledge combined with little fish.......

It's because there's nothing to SEE on 11425H.

Good morning
I am currently waiting for the dew to come off the area of pitch roof that I must traverse before getting to the dish.
However, in the meantime I have been doing a couple of things which throw up questions:

When I enter the Freesat transponder details at 11425 H, press save...should this now be listed in the transponder list? As it happens it doesn't show up again, only 11425 V shows!!

Secondly, last night we watched BBC One West Midlands. According to Kingofsat this is broadcast on 10788 V on Astra 2E, i.e. the same as the Freesat transponder.
On 10788 V (BBC One West Midlands) the S & Q is 90-100%
11425 H has zero for both.

If I can see BBC One West Midlands, why can't the Freesat search not find 11425 H which is on the same satellite? Is it because I can't seem to get 11425 H listed in the transponder list?

Sorry if the above is another red herring.....a little knowledge combined with little fish.......

10788 V is not the Freesat Home Transponder 11425 H is. I will see what I get on a scan of 11425 H using my Foxsat. Back in a bit with results.

OK...,I'll wait with interest.
Though I can't help wondering why I can get transponder 10788 V with a strong S & Q (coming from Astra 2E) but I cannot successfully manually search (or save in the transponder list) 11425 H which is also on Astra 2E

A good question. I was able to add the parameters from KingofSat for the home transponder and save it and scan it, without a problem. 16 channels (not proper TV channels added) to non-freesat mode. See attached image. I guess you can't save it because you have zero reception. When you get to the dish detach the f connectors, check for corrosion and water ingress (water in the cables can knock out specific frequencies.

What do you get if you look at 11385 H (You may have issues with DC polarisation output switching from the box) ?

Attachments

• HomeTransponder.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Oh to see a screen like that!!
The LNB, connectors and cables are all new, with protective boots on too....though I have checked them all again.
I cannot get anything on 11385 H, though I can get 11385 V (with nearly 100% S & Q)!
1 minor thing I've noticed: in the box for DVB options I have only either "DVB" or "DVB-S2"; I do not have a "DVB-S" option.
I'm still ruminating why I am getting some good connectivity to some transponders on Astra 2E, but not on other transponders. Do you think this is a box software issue perhaps?

Delete 11425V. Insert 11425H.

Can you get any of the H transponders?
Do you have a spare LNB you could try? If so and it makes no difference, then it points to
DC polarisation output switching as Graham mentions.

Oh to see a screen like that!!
The LNB, connectors and cables are all new, with protective boots on too....though I have checked them all again.
I cannot get anything on 11385 H, though I can get 11385 V (with nearly 100% S & Q)!
1 minor thing I've noticed: in the box for DVB options I have only either "DVB" or "DVB-S2"; I do not have a "DVB-S" option.
I'm still ruminating why I am getting some good connectivity to some transponders on Astra 2E, but not on other transponders. Do you think this is a box software issue perhaps?

DVB is DVB-S. I think you have a power supply issue with the box.

See here - note 15.5 - 18V DC is required to switch the lnb to work with horizontally polarised transponders.

LNB mysteries explained - part 1

Do you have a DC voltmeter ? If so connect a short length of coax to tuner 1 in, and carefully measure the DC output voltage for a Horizontal channel you can't get and then a vertical one.

999 is Sky Info on a Sky box - what box are you seeing this on?

I'm getting 18.5v on Horizontal, 13.5v on Vertical. These values are the same whether or not the respective transponder can be successfully fully connected.
Also it is mainly Horizontal transponders that fail to be fully searched.

Dave: It's a Humax Foxsat

I'm getting 18.5v on Horizontal, 13.5v on Vertical. These values are the same whether or not the respective transponder can be successfully fully connected.
Also it is mainly Horizontal transponders that fail to be fully searched.

Dave: It's a Humax Foxsat

That would seem to indicate the issue is the lnb, though the values look a bit high. You haven't turned on the option for long coax cables in the hidden setup menus by any chance ?

Yes as the cable run is approx 60m

That should be OK as I imagine measured at the lnb the switching voltage with the lnb connected would be within limits. The LNB would seem to be the most likely culprit.

You seem to have ruled out LNB skew (were you looking at the home transponder when you adjusted the skew ?)

That is a little annoying...the LNB was fresh out of its pack only 1 month ago.

Would this be consistent with being able to get a good signal from the Astra 2E but failing to get certain transponders?
Similarly is it consistent with not being able to save to the search list certain manually entered transponders, including the much-sought-after 11425 H ?

I should hasten to add that there are some Horizontal channels I can get.....

Are these on other satellites ? These use a different skew to 2E. As I already said if the transponder shows no signal it would seem likely the save option isn't enabled. I would try adjusting the Skew to the setting for 2E shown for your location in dishpointer before changing the lnb. If you choose one of the others optimum skew will be about halfway between the two settings.

Can you save both a horizontal and a vertical on the same frequency?

I deliberately restricted my settings to Astra 2E; for example I can get 11954 H (QVC) with 100% S & Q on both LNBs.
I've been using Kingofsat as a reference so I can ensure I'm staying on Astra 2E.

I feel very guilty I'm occupying so much of your time...however your assistance is very much appreciated.

I deliberately restricted my settings to Astra 2E; for example I can get 11954 H (QVC) with 100% S & Q on both LNBs.
I've been using Kingofsat as a reference so I can ensure I'm staying on Astra 2E.

I feel very guilty I'm occupying so much of your time...however your assistance is very much appreciated.

That transponder is on a Pan European beam. If you look at the top of the transponder block in KOS it says UK for UK spot beams and Europe for wide beam PE transponders. Can you get any 2E horizontal transponders marked UK ?

They have totally different footprints.

Downloads of footprints here

ASTRA 2E - SES.com

Can you receive any H frequency below 11700 (low band)?

I think Graham has found the answer - the UK spot beams - Perhaps realign using one of the BBC HD channels as a reference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom