Humax Foxsat No Freesat (yes again!)

logiciel

What I was getting at is whether or not you can SAVE a horizontal and a vertical on the same frequency.
I thought not but it seems irrelevant as you can't GET any H frequencies!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
There aren't any with the exact same specified frequency. Nearest in my Foxsat box database is 11426 V and 11427 H, which we already know the answer to.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

stevedordogne

Novice Member
I'll try that tomorrow when I can get up to the dish; however won't this affect the Vertical transmissions that I'm getting at 100% ?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I'll try that tomorrow when I can get up to the dish; however won't this affect the Vertical transmissions that I'm getting at 100% ?

Hopefully not. You can afford to lose some signal strength anyway provided you keep 100% quality.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
So a compromise is required...I'll give it a go tomorrow....thanks again for your input.

Assuming your lnb is OK. Find the optimum for Horizontal, go from there to find optimum for Vertical. Approx halfway in between is about right. Skew is not that critical, yours must be way out of kilter.

stevedordogne

Novice Member
Fresh from the roof.....

In order to simplify matters, I've gone back to the single LNB that I had previously replaced. I'll address the 4-way LNB later.

Still can't get a peep out of 11425 H....

But can get 11428 H which has the all Freesat channels listed on KOS (but under the 11425 block).

When looking at "guide" the 10 or so Freesat channels are visible in the guide starting at 5001 with Freesat Home, and when I select on and look at the diagnostic it shows 11428 H (S 80%, Q 100%).

Unfortunately the Freesat search still stops at Invalid Post Code.

Seem to have made some progress that don't know whether it's forward, back or sideways!!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Fresh from the roof.....

In order to simplify matters, I've gone back to the single LNB that I had previously replaced. I'll address the 4-way LNB later.

Still can't get a peep out of 11425 H....

But can get 11428 H which has the all Freesat channels listed on KOS (but under the 11425 block).

When looking at "guide" the 10 or so Freesat channels are visible in the guide starting at 5001 with Freesat Home, and when I select on and look at the diagnostic it shows 11428 H (S 80%, Q 100%).

Unfortunately the Freesat search still stops at Invalid Post Code.

Seem to have made some progress that don't know whether it's forward, back or sideways!!

They aren't different transponders, the box will lock on to the actual transponder frequency provided it's given a number close enough to the actual frequency being used. If you can see the channels using the default one stored on your box using manual tune (it will be 11427 or 11428 H), there shouldn't be an issue with a freesat tune.

You may have some corruption with the software stored on your box, normally you would do factory reset. In the past before a reset it is always wise to check you have the home transponder, as once you have started a reset all your existing freesat and non-freesat stored channels are deleted. If the postcode check fails you are left with no freesat mode channels.

Running out of ideas, one is flash the box with the Custom Firmware.

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 5

This re-installs the current Humax software at the same time, and unlike a factory reset it doesn't delete your existing channels.

Repassac have you any other bright ideas ?

logiciel

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
You're not meant to. They don't actually carry TV programmes.

He meant he can't see the data channels it has on it plus a place holder for a real channel (Fashion One). Where is the they ? 11425, 11426, 11427 and 11428 H is the same transponder. For some reason his box won't lock onto the carrier when the frequency specified on KOS is entered.

stevedordogne

Novice Member
Yippee...
Loaded software, and immediately could see and save 11425 H
Freesat search no problem, Freesat guide beautifully presented.

However, if you remember I had changed back to the old single port LNB.
So now I change to the new 4-way, select 2 leads in the hidden menu, satellite search then ensues......nothing!!

Change back to the old 1-way LNB....everything fine again.

So it seems we were chasing 2 problems:
1. Corrupted software
2. Faulty 4-way LNB

So on to Amazon this evening for a decent LNB
Thanks to everyone who has had an input....especially Graham..you have the patience of Job.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Yippee...
Loaded software, and immediately could see and save 11425 H
Freesat search no problem, Freesat guide beautifully presented.

So now I change to the new 4-way, select 2 leads in the hidden menu, satellite search then ensues......nothing!!

So it seems we were chasing 2 problems:
1. Corrupted software
2. Faulty 4-way LNB

So on to Amazon this evening for a decent LNB
Thanks to everyone who has had an input....especially Graham..you have the patience of Job.

Phew. You do realise having flashed the custom firmware there is so much more you can do with the box if it's connected to your home network ?

Locate it's IP address in diagnostics and enter this into the url locator in your browser.

REPASSAC

You did select the option with two feeds SAME?

stevedordogne

Novice Member
Good point...but yes I did that via the hidden menu, and back again when on the 1-way LNB.

Couple of points that may be of interest:
I initially copied the software to the root directory of a fairly crowded USB stick...the HDR would not find the update. So I then copied the software to a clean stick...worked immediately.
I also powered off at the rocker switch before inserting and again before removing the stick.
Also I found the bug was not corrected until I did a factory reset (my wife's idea!) which then seemed to do a clean reboot, from then plain sailing.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Did you try a simple shut down and reboot after flashing the firmware ? However a reset after update seems to be a good idea anyway.

TJT1

It's not necessarily the amount of stuff you have on the stick, it's the stick itself. The Hummy can be a bit picky as to whether it will recognise a particular stick or not. So the 'wisdom' is to try multiple sticks until you find one that works.:)

DrStupid

Novice Member
Hi Folks

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having exactly the same issues, and was wondering if everything got resolved?

To summarise, I've been using the same dish and LNB for nearly 10 years with a Human Foxsat. Initially it was installed by an "expert", then when we moved house, I installed myself, after a bit of alignment fiddling it worked perfectly. Now we moved house again (blame the wife!!) and I'm struggling to get it working.

Summary:

- De-installed mid January, reinstalled yesterday, May 15
- When I first plugged it together I got the full and correct Freesat, but not all channels
- I could get ALL SD Channel 5 with 100% signal and quality, ITV3 with 100/60
- No other channels
- I try a FreeSat tune and I get "Invalid Postcode"
- During FreeSat tune, the signal strength flashed on and off, eventually settling to no signal
- I do a non-FreeSat tune and I get 59 channels - lots of QVC

Any ideas - is my LNB screwed? Cable got moisture in it?

If I do a factory reset, will I lose the content on my HDD?

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

Cheers, Dave

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Something's wrong with your dish alignment, lnb or cabling. A non freesat full scan should find over 400 channels. Factory reset will not delete existing recordings but it will fail at the postcode validation. Until you get a signal from the Freesat home transponder (11427 (might say 11428 H) you can't do a freesat tune or reset either. Check this transponder using manual tune.

DrStupid

Novice Member
Well, changed the LNB for another one, even worse, put back the old LNB, re-aligned, adjusted the skew and boom - full Freesat, 100% strength, 80% quality :)

Thanks for nudging me in the right direction!

Now to route a new cable from the garage roof, down into the cellar and back up the conduit to the living room...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Primare unveils NP5 Prisma MK2 network player for August
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PROMOTED: How to watch UK TV from any country
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
  • By Phil Hinton