Humax Foxsat MP3 playback problems

F

Felix

I have found two problems playing MP3s on my Humax Foxsat and wonder if anyone has any suggestions:

1. About 20% of tracks play only the first second or two and are then silent for the rest of the track. The next track can play normally. I can't see any pattern as to which tracks behave in this way. Puzzling!

2. There's often a loud noise between tracks. This happens with both HDMI and SCART connection to the TV.

Thanks for your help

Can't provide a solution, I'm afraid but I have been experiencing the exact same problem. I tried copying the tracks again and made no difference. Like you I'd love a solution as the ability to play MP3 files was one of the reasons I bought the Foxsat box.

Said in previous post copying tacks again made no difference - not quite true. Problem moved to different tracks so don't think it is an encoding issue. Strange

Never had problems with anything I've got on my Foxsat, although we usually play them into an amplifier via spdif.

How do you copy the MP3s across? I'm using samba as I run the custom firmware. If copying via the Humax file manager try playing the files direct off the usb stick to see if they play ok.

Thanks for the reply. I've copied to the hard drive from a USB stick but will give playing direct from the USB a go and see what happens.

I've realised now that it's not that particualr tracks never play... sometimes they do and other times they don't. Which is pretty odd.

Like Hardwriter I copied MP3s onto the HDD via a memory stick. Good thinking Rodders to try to duplicate the problem direct off the memory stick. Watch this space...

Thanks Rodders for the suggestion. Have since tried running from USB stick and from USB hard drive as well as copying entire library again. Still get same problem - tracks start then the sound cuts after a few seconds. Progress bar keeps moving and if I use the forward command the sound returns. It seems to affect tracks at random.
Really is both puzzling and annoying. Tried technical query to Humax but have had no response at all - no a big surprise.
Felixstowe, how did you get on? Has the problem disappeared for you?

Hardwriter and all: No - I've made no progress towards a solution whatsoever (not for lack of trying). Shame that Humax aren't interested - I can't imagine our mp3s are any different from anyone else's so it must be a common enough problem. They might at least have the courtesy to reply.

I suppose I've accepted I have to restart tracks sometimes but it's pretty shoddy.

[BTW Hardwriter - I've never been called Felixstowe before. I quite like being named after a major container port!!]

Hi Felix. Sorry about getting your name wrong. Over enthusiastic autocomplete on my iPad!

I had similar problems with MP3 playback. I noticed that the embedded artist/album/genre etc information was not being displayed correctly on the Humax so I wrote a program in Visual Basic in Microsoft Word that converts the embedded text information in MP3 files from Unicode to Ansi format. This also seems to cure the corruption of the audio which could be caused by the Humax misinterpreting the Unicode text as audio information. I wrote 2 versions. One version strips embedded album picture info etc. and only leaves the text and audio. The other version leaves all the picture information etc. intact and just converts the Unicode text to Ansi. The utilities can be found here -
http://www.box.com/s/c013caa87a697ce94e83

Hi abs1,
Many thanks for taking the time to post this. I'll give your suggestions a go. Would like to fix this annoying problem.
For the record, Humax technical support did eventually get back and asked me to send over an MP3 file for them to check. Despite a couple of prompts from my end I've heard nothing more from them since (four weeks). Can't say that leaves me too impressed with their support. But have to acknowledge the Foxsat is pretty good at its main task of Freesat TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom