Humax Foxsat LNB Short?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Jape, Nov 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jape

Jape
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've had my Foxsat HDR for a week now. It is connected to the dual feed from my existing Octo LNB (I have four dual feeds throughout the house).

All was well until yesterday, when the Foxsat would not record on two channels at once, and is now reporting an 'LNB Short'. I have swapped the feeds over, and sure enough, the problem re-occurs, so I think I have tied it down to one of the feeds, and not the box itself.

The problem is, I have no idea how to try and cure the short, and it seems odd the the Sky box worked fine with the same feeds, all I have done is removed the Sky box and replaced it with the Foxsat.

Is a cure as simple as re-threading the F connector, or am I going to face the nightmare of trying to identify which feed it is at the octo LNB itself?!

Any pointers are *really* gratefully received! :)

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    The most likely cause is a strand of screen is touching the core.

Connect each one in turn to tuner 1 in to identify the problem cable.

Remove and refit the F connector assuming it's a screw on type looking carefully for a stray strand of screen. Hopefully it will be a problem at the hdr end.

3. Jape

Jape
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham,

I've positively identified which feed it is, and have removed the F connector, re-stripped and re-fitted it....and I'm still getting the same problem.

Whilst I've been doing this, I've noticed the small warning label on the Humax box, above the inputs, that says that the unit should be unplugged while connecting the feeds. I'm now thinking that I've fried my LNB on that particular feed? Does the box have a differential voltage or send a voltage to the LNB when it is connected to the mains, even if it is turned off at the switch on the back of the box?

Seems a bit odd if it does!

I forsee having to order a new octo LNB! Any suggestions as where to order from? :)

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    There is no voltage output with the power off or in low power sby either so there's no chance of that being a problem. The short might still be in the cable. You can check the two tuners by using the hdr in single cable mode. Connect the tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in loop and reset the box to get it into single cable mode. This will let you record two and watch a 3rd if the two are in the same frequency band and polarity.

For example

Start an instant recording on 105, start a second on 950. Tune to 300 and press pause (this should allow live pause)

5. Jape

Jape
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK....got it sorted eventually!

Went up to the roof, and stripped and re-connected the F connectors up there (very cold up there today)! Also swapped them to another LNB pair as a belt and braces measure.

Came downstairs, and LNB short was still there :mad:

So, started to examine cable routing for damage, but it runs through a few inaccessible voids so I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Ended up just giving it a bit of a yank at either side of each void to check it was not broken. I was then preparing to re-route one of the other feeds from a bedroom, which would be a big job. So, before I started, I thought I'd give the box one more try....hey presto! 100% strength and quality on both LNB feeds :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that there was a screw/nail nicking one of the feeds, and moving the cable a bit was enough to remove the fault.

Many thanks for all your help Graham! :smashin:

6. mullie

mullie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    had same problem only corrected after turning of power at socket

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010