Humax Foxsat HDR won't play MPEG-4/MP files from USB stick

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Frankie T, Feb 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Frankie T

Frankie T
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - newly registered looking for advice from knowledgeable people....

I have got some MPEG-4/MP4 files which I would like to watch on my TV-set. According to the internets the Humax should be able to deal with this format but I am struggling. When I insert the USB stick in the slots (have tried both), the Humax does detect the stick but no file names pop up. The stick is not faulty because I can play the clips ok on both my laptop and pc. The stick did have an old work file on it and that was detected by the Humax. Could not do anything with it but the file name did appear in the directory.

At the moment I can't connect the laptop/pc to my tv set as the tv set is about 15 years old (but still working mighty fine) and my laptop/notebook also has limited options.

Does anyone know how I can make my Humax see sense? Any input much appreciated!

Frankie

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    You need to convert the files into a family of three, same name with .ts, .nts and .htm extensions. Raydons AV2HDR will do this for you.

3. Frankie T

Frankie T
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, Graham. I was hoping to avoid complicated things but will look into Raydons tomorrow when I am fresh. I hope it's idiot proof!

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Depends on what file container and video/audio format the file has embedded in it.

You can find all this info by opening the file in the free mediainfo software and selecting tree view. Also worth installing Tsmuxergui, sometimes AV2HDR has a problem with some files, remixing with tsmuxergui often sorts it out.

5. Frankie T

Frankie T
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Graham. Am going to have a go this afternoon. Have downloaded AV2HDR and will now google on Tsmuxergui. Hopefully a plank like me will be able to understand what to do.

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    When you view your media files and hit the blue button and select the USB as the source it doesn't show any files ?

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Only MP3 music files and jpeg photograph files are usable on a usb device using a Foxsat-hdr.

A video recording on the Foxsat comprises 3 files which must be present and an optional one.

xxxxx.ts - the transport stream container with the actual video and audio
    xxxxx.nts - navigation data which allows the box to vavigate within the recording
    xxxxx.hmt - Programme info like channel recorded from, dates and times, programme synopses etc. Note the .hmt contains the path to the .ts file. This must be correct for Media List and File Manager to display the recording.

The optional file .thm contains the thumbnail images used for the chapter thumbnails, these files are created overnight during the housekeeping routines.