Humax Foxsat-HDR Recordings

Vin Blanc

Decided to watch a recording on my Humax Foxsat-HDR at home last night.

Switched on the TV and PVR (both apparently working OK),

Pressed “Media” button on the Remote and up popped the screen normally listing all my stored recordings.

Box was empty, no recordings listed at all, however, top right of the screen indicated that the hard drive was 73% full of recordings.

I then tried to record a live program but this also failed.

Is the hard drive finally knackered? Can I still get a replacement and fit it myself?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Vin Blanc

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Press Media again: Then press <Red>

That'll select Video files...

Likely one of the other types selected in error Radio (green), Music (yellow) and Photo (blue) and there are none to list.

Upvote 0

Vin Blanc

Thanks Rodders.
Already tried that - Still the same, no recordings listed.

Vin Blanc

Upvote 0

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Are you running Custom Firmware on the -HDR?
Run the Disk Diagnostics / fix-disk as the first thing to try.
(Along with looking to see if the HDD can be seen via Samba or any other means).

But replacing the disk (losing all recordings if no CF) is simple enough to do, physically. Up to 1TB the Humax will format, No bigger.

Finding the correct disk type is a but more difficult:
SATA II is needed {or a SATA 3 that can be set down to sata 2 speed, either via a 'handbag link' or via software (connected to a PC/laptop first, needing a caddy or similar)}.
Sata 3 WD Purple has been suggested elsewhere (MyHumax and/or Hummy.tv) and I think uses a link to set the speed down to suit the Humax.

Upvote 0

Vin Blanc

Please understand Rodders that you are trying to help an 83 year old also afflicted with “early altzeimers” who has long since fallen behind the latest advances in this technology.

I am however, sure that I am not running Custom Firmware and I have never heard of “Samba”, “Sata”, or the true meaning of a “Handbag Link”.

Losing my recordings will not be the end of the world. Andre Rieu’s concerts will come around again, as will the “Law & Order” series.

My main concern is that my Freesat recorder provides a better picture in our bedroom than our Freeview recorder and we do enjoy our bedtime TV without adverts!

So please try to keep everything simple for me to understand.

Vin Blanc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

logiciel

SATA is a type of hard drive. Forget the other two!

Upvote 0

REPASSAC

There is a very occasional bug where the recording list on many Humax models fails to populate.
This is thought to occur more frequently if the recording list is accessed immediately after boot, when some background processes may not have completed.

I will try putting the HDR into standby for a few mins and then brining it out of standby and wait for 1 min after you have a picture and sound before trying recordings.

Upvote 0

Aggrajag

And it's got to be worth the old failsafe of turning it off and back on again - i.e. using the power switch at the back and waiting 30 seconds before powering back up, then giving it a few minutes to settle down.

Upvote 0

Vin Blanc

Thank you Rodders53, Logi, Repassac and Aggrajag for responding to my cry for help.

But a special big thank you to Aggrajag whose suggestion I tried this morning - and it worked!

All my recordings appeared on the screen, so I don't need to replace my hard drive after all.

Your help and suggestions all very much appreciated - thanks guys.

Vin Blanc

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom