• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Humax Foxsat HDR - recording two channels

hdruser

Standard Member
We recently bought a Foxsat HDR recorder and paid to have an extra LNB added to our old Sky dish so that we could record two channels at once.

However, when I tried to record programmes which were on BBC HD and BBC 2 at the same time it said there was a conflict and I could choose to record only one.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
We recently bought a Foxsat HDR recorder and paid to have an extra LNB added to our old Sky dish so that we could record two channels at once.

However, when I tried to record programmes which were on BBC HD and BBC 2 at the same time it said there was a conflict and I could choose to record only one.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

If you installed the hdr with 1 cable you need to do a factory reset to recognise the second connection. Before you do this check that the two cables are on the outer connections and the centre one is unused. Before you ask :D a factory reset won't affect any of your existing recordings, it will delete your recording reservation list, any non-freesat channels you may have added and reset personal preferences to defaults. When doing the reset watch for the two cable recognised message.

hdruser

Standard Member
Thanks Graham. We have checked all the connections and settings and they are all as they should be.

We have discovered that we CAN record 2 channels simultaneously, depending on which channel pairs.

If we record BBC1 we can only record BBCHD; ITV2; ITV3; ITV+1; ITV4; Channel 4+1 etc.

Do you think there is a fault with the box (it's brand new) or do you have any suggestions to enable us to record BBC1 and BBC2 or ITV1 at the same time.

Thanks very much for your help in advance - we're not technophobes, just plain bewildered! :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Graham. We have checked all the connections and settings and they are all as they should be.

We have discovered that we CAN record 2 channels simultaneously, depending on which channel pairs.

If we record BBC1 we can only record BBCHD; ITV2; ITV3; ITV+1; ITV4; Channel 4+1 etc.

Do you think there is a fault with the box (it's brand new) or do you have any suggestions to enable us to record BBC1 and BBC2 or ITV1 at the same time.

Thanks very much for your help in advance - we're not technophobes, just plain bewildered! :)

The box thinks you have only 1 cable. Do the factory reset (Menu/Setup/Factory Reset). Watch for the message that says two cables recognised, if you get this you should be fine if not the stb's not recognising the 2nd lnb input. One tuner can record more than 1 channel if they are both on the same transponder. From your description the box thinks you have only 1 cable with the second tuner fed using the tuner 1 out connection (the one in the middle). Post if you don't get two cables recognised for more checks. If you do try this goto 108 BBC HD and start an instant recording do the same with 951 BBC 1 CI now tune to 808 JML Home & DIY press pause, if you can pause live TV both tuners are working (Tuner 1 is recording 108 and 951 and tuner 2 is buffering 808 to the time shift buffer)

Good Luck

Graham

Incidentally I can't check if your stb is truly in single cable mode without knowing what channels your postcode has put at 101 102 and 103. If you tune to each in turn and press opt+ you will get the info I need, channel name, transponder frequency (the 5 digit nos for example 10817), and polarisation (H for horizontal, V for vertical). Iyf you can post these I can post a definite check on what should happen

Last edited:

hdruser

Standard Member
Thanks Graham, your diagnosis was spot on! Factory reset detected two cables and we can now record any combination of channels. Great!
Hope we don't have to trouble you again...

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Graham, your diagnosis was spot on! Factory reset detected two cables and we can now record any combination of channels. Great!
Hope we don't have to trouble you again...

Great News - Happy Recording :D

Graham

tcontcon

Standard Member
I found from an old forum that you may need to factory set your recorder and then do the first set up again.

Last night my recorder would not record two channels at the same time even though it had two connections. I even checked with my installer that he had put individual connections.

Did the factory reset (this did not lose the programme I had recorded) and hey presto the machine will now allow me to record two channels.

So any one with similar problems go for the factoy reset option.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom