Humax FOXSAT HDR - Recording issue

RobRay1400

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have had a Humax FOXSAT HDR for around 2-3 months now.
Dish was professionally installed but I have put an eight way lnb onto it.
Twin cable runs from this to the HDR.

I've had a number of failed recordings that I've scheduled - some have the broken icon, others read 0 minutes, some don't appear at all in the media list.
Having read thru some other posts, I think I can troubleshoot these away.

One problem has happened twice now however - to do with watching a program that is being recorded.

The most recent was a scheduled program (Primeval last Saturday on ITV1). It indicated that it had started recording. HDR was on a different channel. Switched to ITV1 about a minute or so before the recording finished.
Called up the media list and Primeval was there showing 60mins. Playback however only showed the last 2 mins from where we switched to ITV1.

Previous incident was a situation where we tried to watch the recording from it's startpoint before it had finished. Primeval again. End result the HDR only captured the program up to the point where we started watching it - ie we started watching 18mins into the recording which was due to capture 60 mins...our viewing stopped after 18mins, remaining 40 mins not recorded.

I'd gotten the impression that watching while recording was possible.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hello
I have had a Humax FOXSAT HDR for around 2-3 months now.
Dish was professionally installed but I have put an eight way lnb onto it.
Twin cable runs from this to the HDR.

I've had a number of failed recordings that I've scheduled - some have the broken icon, others read 0 minutes, some don't appear at all in the media list.
Having read thru some other posts, I think I can troubleshoot these away.

One problem has happened twice now however - to do with watching a program that is being recorded.

The most recent was a scheduled program (Primeval last Saturday on ITV1). It indicated that it had started recording. HDR was on a different channel. Switched to ITV1 about a minute or so before the recording finished.
Called up the media list and Primeval was there showing 60mins. Playback however only showed the last 2 mins from where we switched to ITV1.

Previous incident was a situation where we tried to watch the recording from it's startpoint before it had finished. Primeval again. End result the HDR only captured the program up to the point where we started watching it - ie we started watching 18mins into the recording which was due to capture 60 mins...our viewing stopped after 18mins, remaining 40 mins not recorded.

I'd gotten the impression that watching while recording was possible.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Rob

You are may be confusing time shifting with chasing playback. Time shifting uses a temporary buffer which is vulnerable to a tuner being required to make another recording and also has a bug that flushes the buffer when the programme finishes. Chasing Playback which works flawlessly requires you to select the recording programme from the media list (It appears there after 30 sec of the recording start) press OK and choose play from the beginning. Using this allows you to use the skip keys to miss out commercial breaks until you catch up to real time. Time shifting ties up a tuner, replaying a recording does not.

If your hdr does not work like this something is wrong. Try a factory reset

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
Will probably do the Factory Reset anyway - this instruction seems to crop up fairly often.
Will the Reset wipe the hard disk of recorded programs?
Manual does not warn about this so I suspect that it does not.

When doing the chasing playback of a program that is recording (scheduled), what should happen when you either catchup to real time or the program ends in real time?
Shoule the program be stored in the media list as a recording in its entirety?

Rob

Thanks for the response.
Will probably do the Factory Reset anyway - this instruction seems to crop up fairly often.
Will the Reset wipe the hard disk of recorded programs?
Manual does not warn about this so I suspect that it does not.

When doing the chasing playback of a program that is recording (scheduled), what should happen when you either catchup to real time or the program ends in real time?
Shoule the program be stored in the media list as a recording in its entirety?

Rob

A reset deletes your freesat programme reservations, and non freesat channels you have stored and changes any preferences back to the defaults, it does not affect your recordings. Nothing much happens when the recording finishes and when you are up to real time you simply can't go forward until you pause or rewind again to build up more recorded info. Don't forget the skip buttons are great for skipping ads. I usually chase play ITV recordings after about 15 mins, that way you can skip the ads and viewing finishes about the same time as the real programme. The recording is stored in it's entirety if started by a timer if it's manually started (again due to a known bug) the contents of the buffer prior to recording starting is not recorded.

The recording is stored in it's entirety if started by a timer if it's manually started (again due to a known bug) the contents of the buffer prior to recording starting is not recorded.

Can we hope then Graham that, following the long-awaited update to the firmware, it will be possible to save the buffer even when a manual recording hasn't been set at the beginning of the programme?

This is one thing that I really wish it was possible to do.

David

Last edited:
OK Thanks
Factory Rest done and resetup without issue. Twin tuner feeds detected and diagnostics show near 100% on both for strength and quality.

I think this is just a case of my getting familiar with the recording ground rules......what can be done during single recording, what can be done during dual recording etc....
I have a copy of the exel file that shows what channels are available to watch in different single and dual recording situations. I shall review this for guidance.

Last night's test:
Scheduled to record Staying Alive on ITV3 and Leaving Las Vegas on ITV4+1 (i think those were the channels - certainly the ITV group).
Both programs started at the same time. Humax box set to be on the ITV, Staying Alive channel.
Guide showed both recordings started as expected.
System left for some 15-20mins
At this point I figured I'd try the chased recording as described - went to media list, clicked on Staying Alive entry and started from beginning and skipped thru until I caught up with the real time point of the film. I let it play out from that point.

I could not switch to any other channels having started this chasing however.
Wasn't sure how to safely exit chase playback of recording program. Didn't want to ruin my test by aborting anything so left it alone to finish completely.

Checked the media list once both programs had finished.
Staying Alive was fine, skipped thru from start to well beyond the point where my chasing had caught up to real time.
Leaving Las Vegas however didn't fair so well. My recording was missing a chunk of the beginning.
Not sure how much but I suspect the loss is everything back from the point where I started chasing the Staying Alive recording - 15-20mins from the start of the film.

Would this be considered normal behaviour?

Is there any other "best practice" that I should be following?

Rob

OK Thanks
Factory Rest done and resetup without issue. Twin tuner feeds detected and diagnostics show near 100% on both for strength and quality.

I think this is just a case of my getting familiar with the recording ground rules......what can be done during single recording, what can be done during dual recording etc....
I have a copy of the exel file that shows what channels are available to watch in different single and dual recording situations. I shall review this for guidance.

Last night's test:
Scheduled to record Staying Alive on ITV3 and Leaving Las Vegas on ITV4+1 (i think those were the channels - certainly the ITV group).
Both programs started at the same time. Humax box set to be on the ITV, Staying Alive channel.
Guide showed both recordings started as expected.
System left for some 15-20mins
At this point I figured I'd try the chased recording as described - went to media list, clicked on Staying Alive entry and started from beginning and skipped thru until I caught up with the real time point of the film. I let it play out from that point.

I could not switch to any other channels having started this chasing however.
Wasn't sure how to safely exit chase playback of recording program. Didn't want to ruin my test by aborting anything so left it alone to finish completely.

Checked the media list once both programs had finished.
Staying Alive was fine, skipped thru from start to well beyond the point where my chasing had caught up to real time.
Leaving Las Vegas however didn't fair so well. My recording was missing a chunk of the beginning.
Not sure how much but I suspect the loss is everything back from the point where I started chasing the Staying Alive recording - 15-20mins from the start of the film.

Would this be considered normal behaviour?

Is there any other "best practice" that I should be following?

Rob

What you did should not have affected the second recording in any way. Replaying a recording does not need a tuner so it should have no affect on what the two tuners are doing. To stop chasing playback do the same as watching any other recording press the square stop button this should let you watch any other channel that's available. In this case unusually there is only 1 TV station you coild have watched (ITV3 + 1). Try it on the Excel programme

I will try and repeat what you did and post what happens. I don't think you have found a new bug as I regulary time shift one while recording two. Did you notice if the curtailed recording was in the media list when you started chasing playback the other

If I recall correctly there was no entry for Leaving Las Vegas in the media list when I began the chased playback of the other film.

I thought at the time it had failed.
Quite suprised when it appeared on the list later once the programs had finished.

Rob

If I recall correctly there was no entry for Leaving Las Vegas in the media list when I began the chased playback of the other film.

I thought at the time it had failed.
Quite suprised when it appeared on the list later once the programs had finished.

Rob

In that case the problem is likely the broadcasters fault, assuming your box is set up for Accurate Recording. ITV are very poor at getting the AR/Series codes right. For channels like ITV3 it's probably a good idea to edit the reservation start and end times to give some manual padding and use the repeat functions instead of series record

OK understood.
Chased playback using your instructions is working fine.
Have also been manually adjusting start/end times with success.
Thanks for the help on this one.

got some issues with recording and watching but will open a new post on this one.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom